Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Tommy Makinson

Default Tommy Makinson

New 4 year deal. Brilliant

Happy but confused. Please help.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/01/3...year-contract/

Fantastic effort by the club. I'd pretty much assumed that he'd be off when his contract was up. Luke Thompson next, please!

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Happy but confused. Please help.
    Why? He stated only last week that he was grateful to Saints for the way they’d looked after him through injury and poor form while also confirming that his recent trip to Aus was merely visiting friends and that the way journalists had hounded him and made up reasons for him to be there had got on his nerves.

Got A Season Ticket

All good news stories ahead of tomorrow’s game. Hopefully it can inspire the team to stuff the vermin .

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Why? He stated only last week that he was grateful to Saints for the way they’d looked after him through injury and poor form while also confirming that his recent trip to Aus was merely visiting friends and that the way journalists had hounded him and made up reasons for him to be there had got on his nerves.
    In print he said he would like to try it in the NRL but he had 2 years left on his contract and Saints would not let him go. On 5live he said again he would like to go to the NRL as it’s many players dream. This is not a criticism of him BTW, just a bit confused (shocked really) but pleased he has penned a new long term deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/01/3...year-contract/

Fantastic effort by the club. I'd pretty much assumed that he'd be off when his contract was up. Luke Thompson next, please!
    Yep. We need Luke to sign now!

In The South Stand

In print he said he would like to try it in the NRL but he had 2 years left on his contract and Saints would not let him go. On 5live he said again he would like to go to the NRL as it’s many players dream. This is not a criticism of him BTW, just a bit confused (shocked really) but pleased he has penned a new long term deal.
    Perhaps Teresa May should take some negotiating tips from Tommy. He isn't going to say "I cant wait to sign a new long term contract at Saints" because that would weaken his, and strengthen Saints negotiating position. By making out he is considering lots of competing offers he is forcing Saints to offer him the best possible terms.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    Perhaps Teresa May should take some negotiating tips from Tommy. He isn't going to say "I cant wait to sign a new long term contract at Saints" because that would weaken his, and strengthen Saints negotiating position. By making out he is considering lots of competing offers he is forcing Saints to offer him the best possible terms.
    Being mischievous could Saints be playing clever. Sign him on a big long deal. He stays great. If he then wants to go or a bid comes in for him Saints have just increased their transfer fee!

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Bloody brilliant news!
    Now convince your best mate Thomson to sign on for four too!

Learning All The Songs

Great news and one that’s come completely out of the blue, I’d expected him to leave at the end of 2019. He would have been very hard to replace I think Johnstone is the only realistic signing who would have got anywhere near him but he would have been very expensive.

Great news for the club, fans and for Tommy himself and family.
    COYS

Got A Season Ticket

Just waiting for Saddened to respond that this deal is utter madness.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsmerrrt View Post
    Just waiting for Saddened to respond that this deal is utter madness.
    Depends how much we're paying him. If he's taken Roby's marquee spot then it's madness.

The cynic in me would also suggest that his new contract is a non issue. He's signed a new contract because either:

1 - He's off to the NRL, the new contract is just to ensure we get a fee that can be put towards his replacement (Unlikely)
    2 - He's not actually good enough to get a decent NRL offer, so therefore the threat of him leaving is minimal (More likely)

Note, for the easily offended, I rate Tommy. He's a very good Super League player and I wouldn't be looking to replace him.

In The South Stand

Being mischievous could Saints be playing clever. Sign him on a big long deal. He stays great. If he then wants to go or a bid comes in for him Saints have just increased their transfer fee!
    It's a win, win , isn't it! Great news that he's signed, a true talent.

I would think this changes little regarding his desire to go to the NRL. It just means we can command a higher transfer fee for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    I would think this changes little regarding his desire to go to the NRL. It just means we can command a higher transfer fee for him.
    If he had a real intention of going to the NRL anytime soon, though, why would he sign a contract which is likely to make potential suitors look elsewhere for a cheaper option?

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Might actually be an NRL release fee written into it so he knows he can go if a certain offer is reached, and we're protected against the risk of losing him for nothing.

Even if that's the case it's good business by the club.