Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roby signs till end of 2021

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I chatted to him a couple of weeks ago for WA12 radio and he is in top shape now after his op and wants to do 80 mins. Aaron Smith is understudying him and will get some game time this year.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    If they’re good enough they’ll work their way in, like Roby did under Cunningham.
    That's exactly the scenario we need mate. I've no problem with Roby passing on all his qualities of loyalty, grit and determination to the youngsters. He's close to surpassing the achievements of KC on the field, whilst being surrounded by a much less talented support crew. Roby's dedication has been a great example. Top player.

I'm made up with this, but it's no surprise, best in his class over here for a long time gone and he'll be there at the top until HE decides to quit.

James, I salute you, COYS.

Fact.

Robes isn’t human. He can eat 3 shredded wheat, put a fruit pastel in his mouth without chewing it AND understand Shaun Wane.

Nothing to worry about, he’ll probably sign a 5 year extension in 2020
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    not many 33/34 year olds get 3 year deals
    Not many 33/34 year olds have the ability and/or fitness levels of James Roby though do they? Even if he slows down physically (solution - play fewer minutes, adapt role) he's unlikely to slow down between the ears which means he's likely to still have a lot to offer in another two years time.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nutgrovesaint View Post
    No problem with the length of contract at all. The guys a legend and if he thinks he can do another 3 years it’s good enough for me . We don’t know what’s in the contact but more importantly Roby comes across as a man with integrity and if at any point he couldn’t continue to play he would retire instead of sitting around getting paid.
    This is the only slight reservation I would have- does anybody know if Roby will continue to take a marquee spot for the duration of the new deal? I think sentiment has to be secondary to the success of the team, especially when we are seeing a side like Warrington investing as they have done of late. If Roby does as you suggest, then there's no problem and more credit to the man. He's been a great servant to the club.

Brook has already commented about the new 2 year deal for Cameron Smith, who is older and has been playing 80 minutes more often than not even with the reduced number of interchanges in the NRL, over the past couple of years. Roby proved he was still one of the best players in the league last year and I don't see that changing for 2019 at least.

Regards,

STEVO

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    This is the only slight reservation I would have- does anybody know if Roby will continue to take a marquee spot for the duration of the new deal? I think sentiment has to be secondary to the success of the team, especially when we are seeing a side like Warrington investing as they have done of late. If Roby does as you suggest, then there's no problem and more credit to the man. He's been a great servant to the club.

Brook has already commented about the new 2 year deal for Cameron Smith, who is older and has been playing 80 minutes more often than not even with the reduced number of interchanges in the NRL, over the past couple of years. Roby proved he was still one of the best players in the league last year and I don't see that changing for 2019 at least.

Regards,

STEVO
    Smith doesn't play as many games a season as Roby

Got A Season Ticket

I'm looking forward to seeing Aaron Smith be Roby's understudy. He looked very promising against Catalans last year, before being taken off after a monstrous, disgusting late hit. He also looked sharp in Lomax's testimonial and I look forward to watching him get more game time this year!

Got A Season Ticket

No doubt he will perform again this season, two more seasons after? the last will have to be using James as it was done with Cunningham, then a statue? fell he has delivered much more all round as a hooker & player.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Fact.

Robes isn’t human. He can eat 3 shredded wheat, put a fruit pastel in his mouth without chewing it AND understand Shaun Wane.

Nothing to worry about, he’ll probably sign a 5 year extension in 2020
    See.....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

He's still the Master of his art, driving us forward, relentlessly, the great thing about watching him is that the opposition know what he's going to do! I don't think he needs a statue, he will be in the rule book, training books for years to come. Best I've seen for Saints, and that's saying something!

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    He's still the Master of his art, driving us forward, relentlessly, the great thing about watching him is that the opposition know what he's going to do! I don't think he needs a statue, he will be in the rule book, training books for years to come. Best I've seen for Saints, and that's saying something!
    I geninely don't think you can say he's better than KC, he's at the same level. Very different players, but both equally inspirational and both contributed so much to the club. Ridiculous that we've had those two consecutively. Whoever replaces Robes will be a big comedown even if he's the best prospect in the country.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

54 tackles last night immense effort

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    So is that a sign of a drop off from previous seasons?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I though his distribution and the length of some of his passes from the PTB were flawless.