Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Saints announce Duel Reg deal with Leigh

FWIW - and I know it doesn’t necessarily mean much- Amor looked pretty good in the friendly against Hull.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Totally agree with that, during the super 8's he was a different player taking the ball up finding the floor and a quicker PTB, the last 3 games he was our top metre maker. I can only assume Holbrook is making his decisions on how they look at the moment so we must accept his judgement. It will be interesting to see what shape Amor is in because I had him down as one of the weakest based on the fact he was nearly always being dominated last season.
    Glad I'm not on my own with this. I think he struggled in his first season, and has been unable to shake off this perception amongst some fans - especially as any signing from the NRL raises expectations. But like you, I thought last season he was good. And he brings balance to the forwards.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    So you're saying you want props that don't make an impact? I'm not saying he's a terrible player because he isn't, he's just not as good as Walmsley, Lees and Thompson and doesn't offer what LMS and Ashworth do.

I'm saying that props whose main role and strength is to take the ball in with venom aren't generally as good in other crucial aspects of the game. A couple of our props have less than great lateral defence, for instance; Walmsley isn't the best defending against quick and agile runners. Douglas was one of our most consistent and tireless defenders last season, and he controls the defensive formation in the middle.

What you're saying is akin to a football fan asking why all the team's midfielders can't be attacking goalscorers. You need a mix of solid defence & rugby nouse, alongside marauding, more attack-minded players.

This is a team game and balance within the team is crucial for success.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I'm well aware of the need for balance and I don't need patronising. Douglas' defence is pretty good but does it compensate for his other failings? I'm not so sure.
    He didn't have much failings in the second half of the season had the lowest missed tackle in the whole team (Roby equalled with 25 missed), picked up with the metres as well nearly caught up with Taia and LMS (Thompson streets ahead), in the pack gave the least amount of penalties away, also one of the lowest error counts in the team.

The only weakness was his lack of offloads but thats not his game because he mainly runs down the middle in heavy traffic to get a quick PTB or what we call a grafter.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    I agree, finished NRL player coming for his last payday. When people rate a player because he does big minutes or because of his work rate then you generally know they aren’t great. The love in for him last year was ridiculous, it took him until the last 4 games to start performing anywhere near good enough. Walmsley in for him will be a huge upgrade.
    "When people rate a player because he does big minutes or because of his work rate then you generally know they aren’t great".

Do you mean like James Roby? You my friend, are a plonker.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

JH has been quoted has saying that Luke Douglas does very good work that goes under the radar. Douglas played very well last season, in my opinion that is.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by nighthorse View Post
    "When people rate a player because he does big minutes or because of his work rate then you generally know they aren’t great".

Do you mean like James Roby? You my friend, are a plonker.

If the main reason why you rate James Roby is because of his work rate then the only plonker is you. When has anyone ever said the only quality Roby has is his work rate or big minutes anyway? What a stupid post.

Banned

I'm well aware of the need for balance and I don't need patronising.
    It wasn't my intention to patronise anyone, but when you come out with silly misrepresentations like...

So you're saying you want props that don't make an impact?
    ...you perhaps deserve to be patronised.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

If he does a month at Leigh and gets match fit he will be needed at some point it's a long season and he has not let us down at any point.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    If he does a month at Leigh and gets match fit he will be needed at some point it's a long season and he has not let us down at any point.
    That's a bit like saying Jack Owens never let us down

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    If the main reason why you rate James Roby is because of his work rate then the only plonker is you. When has anyone ever said the only quality Roby has is his work rate or big minutes anyway? What a stupid post.
    I don't think anybody has ever said that his ONLY quality is his work rate. I know I certainly never.
    His work rate is, quite rightly, lauded and it's a quality to admire. Only in a player you want to admire though, it would seem.

Each to their own I guess but I can't swing my head around bagging your own teams players in the way you do.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by nighthorse View Post
    I don't think anybody has ever said that his ONLY quality is his work rate. I know I certainly never.
    His work rate is, quite rightly, lauded and it's a quality to admire. Only in a player you want to admire though, it would seem.

Each to their own I guess but I can't swing my head around bagging your own teams players in the way you do.

Exactly, that’s my point no one has ever said that about Roby. However, plenty have about Douglas. That’s how you know Douglas is a very limited player. I only bag the ones who aren’t very good.

Got A Season Ticket

That's a matter of opinion. Can't remember you giving much praise for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    That's a bit like saying Jack Owens never let us down
    Jack Owens did let us down though, time after time. To suggest Douglas has let us down in a similar way as Owens did is really wide of the mark.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Joe Batchelor, Matty Costello & Josh Eaves named in Leigh’s squad for their Friendly against London on Sunday.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    As for Douglas, another big disappointment from the Cunningham era. I don't think anyone expected another David Fairleigh or Darren Britt when we signed Douglas - but this guy has hardly broken a tackle, barely makes any meters, and has done nothing memorable at all in his time here. No club can afford to have a highly paid overseas player as their 6th choice prop.
    I agree that no one expected a Fairleigh or Britt and I’m not a great Douglas fan, but to say that he rarely makes any meters? Last season, his average metres per carry was only bettered by Barba, Thompson Roby & Swift. 6th in total metres gained with Thompson the only recognised prop to beat him. I think that his problem is that he does nothing flash and just melts into the background so people assume that he does nothing. Every team needs the workhorses to back up the star players, that’s the nature of the salary cap I’m afraid.

Banned

Perhaps you want to marry Luke Douglas.
    Perhaps you'll grow out of making peurile posts?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Perhaps you want to marry Luke Douglas.
    The marriage between HS517 and Richardson would be good!

In The South Stand

Batchelor, Eaves and Costello in the Leigh squad for their friendly with London tomorrow.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Batchelor, Eaves and Costello in the Leigh squad for their friendly with London tomorrow.

Good experience for them

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Leigh got stuffed 20 - 0
    Batchelor and Eaves both spent 10mins in the Sin-Bin leaving Leigh down to 12 for a 1/4 of the match

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Leigh got stuffed 20 - 0
    Batchelor and Eaves both spent 10mins in the Sin-Bin leaving Leigh down to 12 for a 1/4 of the match
    Batchelor & Costello were binned. Greg Richards also binned for London... 3 yellows in a pre season friendly. Rob Hicks was the referee..

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    Batchelor & Costello were binned. Greg Richards also binned for London... 3 yellows in a pre season friendly. Rob Hicks was the referee..
    Didn't Child do the same in another friendly this pre season? Team warning within 6 minutes or something

Got A Season Ticket

Any reports on today's game?

Quote Originally Posted by Saintfryer View Post
    Any reports on today's game?
    Costello scored