Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Saints announce Duel Reg deal with Leigh

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Talk on Love RL of Douglas joining Leigh for a month
    Relatively surprising. He was definitely better than Amor back end of the season. Perhaps Ashworth and Amor have moved ahead of him now? Looks a given that Lees is in the top 4 at the club

With rumours of Graham maybe coming back to SL next season, what price Douglas and Amor out, Graham in?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    Relatively surprising. He was definitely better than Amor back end of the season. Perhaps Ashworth and Amor have moved ahead of him now? Looks a given that Lees is in the top 4 at the club

With rumours of Graham maybe coming back to SL next season, what price Douglas and Amor out, Graham in?
    Where's the rumour of Graham coming back?

Got A Season Ticket

Interesting one considering Thompson missed the friendly. Hopefully it means Thommo is raring to go and Lees AND Ashworth are deemed worthy of a squad spot every week.
    Although i'd much prefer Amor to have gone based on last years performance, however i'll reserve judgement until he's played a few games this season.

In The South Stand

Isn't there an issue regarding work permits and dual reg? Personally I doubt any of our first 19 squad wise will go to leigh.

I think Douglas really picked up his form in the last dozen or so games last season. I was surprised to read it, like others have said you’d think Amor if anyone. Additionally Douglas is the type of prop who would suit the new interchange rule

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsmerrrt View Post
    Where's the rumour of Graham coming back?
    Saw an interview with him online earlier today saying he's considering what to do after rugby and he wouldn't returning back to where it all started beforehand

Also think I saw a rumour elsewhere but can't remember where for the life of me

In The South Stand

It would be crazy to let Douglas go given his 2018 form.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    It would be crazy to let Douglas go given his 2018 form.
    Yes, I would be very surprised if any senior player would be let go to Leigh. It would be a real kick in the teeth to them.

Got A Replica Shirt Fatty Vautin's Avatar

Think we should have a proper reserves set up but this will have to do for now. I'd rather those SL clubs that really want reserves to agree amongst themselves and run a league next year. Saying we can't run one unless absolutely everyone in SL does effectively means it won't happen. Players training in part with us and in part with their duel reg club isn't the best for development.

Not sure it is even possible given he is overseas. Visa regs.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Does he need a visa within playing for Scotland?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    Does he need a visa within playing for Scotland?
    Unless he has a uk passport then yes he does.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    So have reserve teams then? The whole thing annoys me to be honest. There should be no choice for SL teams, you run a proper reserve team and academy teams or rag off. I'm sick of all this kid glove nonsense and teams crying poverty. Sink or swim.

The structure needs to be:

First team
    Reserve team
    U21's
    U17'

No need for a 21s if you have a reserve team. The a teams were full of 18-21 year olds back on the day, splattered with others

Reserves and 19s

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    Yes, I would be very surprised if any senior player would be let go to Leigh. It would be a real kick in the teeth to them.
    If short term for fitness then it's ok

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Ryan Morgan is on loan. Maybe there's a difference between on loan and dual reg.

Learning All The Songs

I think this deal shows what a poor state rugby league is in, a club like Leigh can't raise a competitive team on it's owb

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    I think this deal shows what a poor state rugby league is in, a club like Leigh can't raise a competitive team on it's owb
    Coming out of special measures after most were snapped up was always going to be hard. I'm glad we have an upgrade on Sheffield - it'll do our young lads a world of good

The partnership with Leigh sounds like a great agreement for both clubs.

Saints get to play fringe players in a top championship team. You suspect that some players may end up going on loan there if they are struggling to get near the first team. Our players are going to get to play in intense high-quality games which will get them well prepared for first team rugby, while coaching staff will have a much better indication of who is ready.

Leigh get to bolster their squad which at present only has 22 men. They seem a bit lite of quality in the forwards which given Saints seem to have a lot of forwards is a great match. For them to potentially get access to players such as Swift/Costello/Amor/Ashworth/Bentley/Batchelor is going to save them a huge amount of money while being able to field a competitive championship team.

This is much better than our arrangement with Sheffield because Leigh are a more professional organisation. They are much nearer to each other allowing players to be sent/recalled at shorter notice. Leigh you would suspect are going to win a lot more games which is a better environment for them to gain confidence and get better.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Point 2

I am not against the idea of a second team but our players are going to get a higher intensity game at Leigh than any A team game can provide and we are also helping out our neighbours and improving the strength of the championship. Our players are going to get a great platform to play against the best players outside of Super League.

Some players can get lost in a second team and miss their chance. John McAtee is a great example of this helping at Saints. Really John needed to do what Danny Yate, Rob Fairclough and Brad Billsborough have done and go into the championship to prove themselves. However John was comfortable being an understudy and never made it as a professional rugby player.

As I, and others, have said on here the ideal solution is to have actual feeder teams setup to act as second teams for Super League clubs. Rather than club small teams over the head and assimilate them.

Sorry if someone else has posted this elsewhere but Luke Douglas is rumoured to be be on his way to Leigh for a short term loan.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...nd-gossip-147/

Odd!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Sorry if someone else has posted this elsewhere but Luke Douglas is rumoured to be be on his way to Leigh for a short term loan.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...nd-gossip-147/

Odd!
    Holbrook has confirmed this today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

Feeling uneasy about the start of this season now with this news, the retention of Kyle Amor and the possibility of Fages at 7.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Feeling uneasy about the start of this season now with this news, the retention of Kyle Amor and the possibility of Fages at 7.
    Walmsley Thompson Ashworth and Lees for me! Douglas getting a consistent run out for a month to get up to speed and LMS floating in the pack gives us plenty

Got A Replica Shirt Fatty Vautin's Avatar

There's a massive difference in standard between U19s and Championship. I still believe there's a need for some sort of reserves. Farming players out to another team en masse also devalues the competition below SL and if I was a Leigh fan I'd have mixed feelings - it's ok if it's for a year until they get up and running but if not I wouldn't feel the same if I was a Leigh fan following what is effectively St Helens "A".

Since when were Leigh a much more stable setup than Sheffield anyway? Leigh nearly went under this autumn. Beaumont could still walk away at any moment leaving them in the brown stuff.

Learning All The Songs

Wouldn't surprise me if we don't see Douglas in a Saints jersey again