Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Saints announce Duel Reg deal with Leigh

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    No, it’s Josh whose related, he doesn’t look and play like his grandad though. One to look out for, but not ready for the defensive requirements of Superleague.
    I tend to disagree about his defence not being ready for the requirements of Super League, did you see his defence against Widnes?? Outstanding especially for an 18year old and not sure we have a better defensive centre in the club! Never missed one today and chased down hard including getting a repeat set chasing a kick and tackling the full back behind the try line. Compare that effort to Cossy against Salford and others who have played in the centres this season and it is like chalk and cheese. Play a natural centre in the centres instead of putting others in there. I bet Duffy at Leigh would be delighted to keep hold of him for longer!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    I tend to disagree about his defence not being ready for the requirements of Super League, did you see his defence against Widnes?? Outstanding especially for an 18year old and not sure we have a better defensive centre in the club! Never missed one today and chased down hard including getting a repeat set chasing a kick and tackling the full back behind the try line. Compare that effort to Cossy against Salford and others who have played in the centres this season and it is like chalk and cheese. Play a natural centre in the centres instead of putting others in there. I bet Duffy at Leigh would be delighted to keep hold of him for longer!
    Didn't see him play against Widnes but seen him in quite a few other games, my defensive comment was really based on Jack Welsby who seemed to be the better defender when he played with Josh in the academy. Its a big step up to defend against the big men in super league, he does look a much better prospect than Costello who has done a good job so far but cracks are now appearing in his game in tackling and defending from a high kick.

Josh, one to look out for in making an appearance for the 2020 season perhaps, playing for Leigh for the rest of the season is the ideal preparation for that.

Upside
    Non Members

Not sure you can make a judgement that quickly

Defending well for one game doesn't mean your body is ready for this week in and out at an even higher level

Saints are doing the right thing, bring him through slow but sure and he will be a great player for us, still early days but top lad with heaps of potential, let's not pressure him to much to quick

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Not sure you can make a judgement that quickly

Defending well for one game doesn't mean your body is ready for this week in and out at an even higher level

Saints are doing the right thing, bring him through slow but sure and he will be a great player for us, still early days but top lad with heaps of potential, let's not pressure him to much to quick
    Fare comment

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

Nice little piece on our website, about 'history maker' Josh Simm !

Josh Simm carved out a little piece of history for himself when he made his senior debut in Leigh Centurions' thrilling Betfred Championship Summer Bash victory over Widnes Vikings at Blackpool.

The teenaged centre, on dual registration from St Helens, became the first Leigh player to be born in the new Millennium.

Simm, who was born in February 2001, also became one the youngest players to represent the club in recent times.

Leigh Centurions head coach John Duffy knows a thing or two about early debuts. He was aged 16 years and 262 days when handed his Warrington Wolves debut in Super League against London Broncos in March 1997.

"In that era quite a lot of players made their debuts as teenagers," Duffy said. "It doesn't happen as often these days.

"For me, looking back, it was probably a bad thing as I was thrown to the pigeons rather than drip-fed in. That was it, I never went back to the academy ranks.

"Josh, though, has been doing really well at academy level, where he's a prolific try-scorer and was ready for the next step.

"He's got a big frame and he's very athletic and had a sureness about him and is dynamic in the way he trains.

"You could tell straight away he'd been well coached and has been through a good system. He came to training and was 30 minutes early and was very keen to get his clips and ask questions.

"In the warm-up on Sunday I just told him to go out and enjoy the start of what will hopefully be a massive career. I told him the noise level would be louder than at a Super League game and to soak up the atmosphere.

"When he comes to make his Saints debut he'll be all the better for having had the experience of playing for Leigh Centurions.

"All the Saints lads that come to us really enjoy the environment at Leigh and the brilliant stadium and facilities. They then go back and make a difference as James Bentley showed scoring the late winning try against Salford on Friday."

Banned

Default Saints announce Duel Reg deal with Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Benchar View Post
    Can't believe we have not played Douglas this season. Wasted in the championship, Leigh are the winners. Hope he plays for us again.
    I’m of the same opinion, I’d have him instead of Amor but I think Holbrook said a few weeks ago that he wouldn’t be returning to Saints and would stay at Leigh all season so we won’t see him in the red V again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Wow Budgiezilla. What a great piece from your club about one of our youngsters. That shows class from all involved and shows a great culture within your club. I hope Simm and the others who have done great work for your club carry on throughout the season for you.

Good luck Leigh for the rest of the season! This looks to have been a great partnership so far and our players seem to enjoy it and come back sharp.

I wonder if Leigh Centurions by playing so many of our players are starting to learn the playing structure and culture of our club, and to a certain degree maybe replicating a part of that into there own club and becoming a better side because of it.

In The South Stand

I hope so.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Wow Budgiezilla. What a great piece from your club about one of our youngsters. That shows class from all involved and shows a great culture within your club. I hope Simm and the others who have done great work for your club carry on throughout the season for you.

Good luck Leigh for the rest of the season! This looks to have been a great partnership so far and our players seem to enjoy it and come back sharp.
    I have never been a fan of DR, but previously we have never utilised it and benefited from it the way we do with Leigh.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I hope so. The closer their structures are to our own is to our benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    I hope so.
    Me too...and Derek Beaumont should take note also ! Build our team steadily, don't go for a 'quick fix', a decent mix of young & experienced (including dual reg ones) and of course local players. Recruit when you 'have to' not because you want to. Saints have done pretty okay with this method !

Quote Originally Posted by Budgiezilla View Post
    Me too...and Derek Beaumont should take note also ! Build our team steadily, don't go for a 'quick fix', a decent mix of young & experienced (including dual reg ones) and of course local players. Recruit when you 'have to' not because you want to. Saints have done pretty okay with this method !
    Has Luke Douglas been a steady influence for your team.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

It's a fantastic day out at Leigh , the whole place is such a friendly atmosphere , the speccies the stewards the ground staff are and would be a credit to any club sport . We including a "GB" international really enjoy the experience, although Friday at our place took some beating lol.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Definitely Stiddy, he's quiet vocally, but does all his talking when he runs and tackles. He always looks a bit 'battered' at the end of every game, he's a bit of a Warrior (sorry for swearing)
    Would love him to do one more season with us, though he's retiring isn't he ?
    Also he deserves to pull on a Saints shirt just one more time (at least).

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Budgiezilla View Post

Like MK at Salford he signed anyone and the team had no identity

They need a youth set up, I think they said they would and even trailed a scholarship but haven't done much with it since

Now that Ryan Brierley has returned to Toronto, do you think Justin Holbrook will be happy for Danny Richardson to return to us on dual reg, if John Duffy thinks he's needed ? (I'd say so)
    Our regular 6 Martyn Ridyard is currently our full back, as No. 1 Greg McNally is our winger, due to Pownall being out injured for the season.
    Or failing that, we could borrow Adam Swift instead, so we can actually have a winger with pace !