Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Rules Confirmation

Got A Season Ticket

Default New Rules Confirmation

https://www.rugby-league.com/superleague/new_beginnings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, you can't accuse Elstone of sitting on his hands since getting control of SL. It's good to see a detailed explanation of the rationale behind the rule changes and of how they will be implemented. I must say I like all of it, with the exception of golden point, which I'm not a fan of. It's very bold of them to enforce players leaving the field at the end of the shot clock if 'injured' ... good stuff. If all of this works we should have a faster and more exciting game this year.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Well, you can't accuse Elstone of sitting on his hands since getting control of SL. It's good to see a detailed explanation of the rationale behind the rule changes and of how they will be implemented. I must say I like all of it, with the exception of golden point, which I'm not a fan of. It's very bold of them to enforce players leaving the field at the end of the shot clock if 'injured' ... good stuff. If all of this works we should have a faster and more exciting game this year.
    I don’t like the golden point. Sometimes a draw is a fair result.

Upside
    Non Members

Fully agreed, great to see they are responding to identified issues.

We have what we asked for now we must get behind it

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Agreed. I like the changes, with the exception of Golden Point.

Does anyone know why they insist on calling it a shot clock when there is no ‘shot’ involved at any stage of a RL match?

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Does anyone know why they insist on calling it a shot clock when there is no ‘shot’ involved at any stage of a RL match?
    Because it rhymes

Upside
    Non Members

Kick clock? Any better?

I think it comes from Basketball - taking a shot at the basket/ net with a hole. Not my favourite sport.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Maybe they should call it the "Shock Clock" because thats what it will be in the short term for the cheating time wasters. I'm all for the game to have more intensity, the 8 interchanges might make teams look at mobile packs which I think Saints are well equipped for.

I’m happy with that, even the golden point.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I'm fine with most of this but I don't see the need for the Golden Point in league games. The article states that there were only 4 draws in SL last season so why bother?
    ...And as Suttoner says above, a draw can be a fair result.
    From a personal point of view, I can only think of the negatives linked to this. For me, the claim that it will add to the drama, will be over shadowed by the drama of me having to leave the ground in time to catch my transport home! That 10 minutes (it's going to be nearer to 20) could make a big difference for me!

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I'm fine with most of this but I don't see the need for the Golden Point in league games. The article states that there were only 4 draws in SL last season so why bother?
    From a personal point of view, I can only think of the negatives linked to this. For me, the claim that it will add to the drama, will be over shadowed by the drama of me having to leave the ground in time to catch my transport home! That 10 minutes (it's going to be nearer to 20) could make a big difference for me!
    How many draws were there last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    How many draws were there last year?
    There were four in SL in 2018 according to the link.

Upside
    Non Members

There were four in SL in 2018 according to the link.
    From well over 100 games, so well less than 5%? Rough sums BTW.

Point is there is a small chance of it happening so not something we will see regularly

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Hopefully with the rule changes it should it should speed things up overall..

I'm not too bothered either way by golden point, in theory all the other rules should improve the game massively

From well over 100 games, so well less than 5%? Rough sums BTW.

Point is there is a small chance of it happening so not something we will see regularly
    Correct. It's not something we see regularly, but it could be very disruptive to a small section of fans like me, so why bother doing it at all?
    I don't particularly want to leave a game before the end, but may be forced to due to my travel timetables. We may be small in number but I know of others that will also have this problem.
    The spin talks about 'drama', but it sounds more link a gimmick to me.

Upside
    Non Members

Correct. It's not something we see regularly, but it could be very disruptive to a small section of fans like me, so why bother doing it at all?
    I don't particularly want to leave a game before the end, but may be forced to due to my travel timetables. We may be small in number but I know of others that will also have this problem.
    The spin talks about 'drama', but it sounds more link a gimmick to me.
    I'm not a big fan of this change but the likelihood is very small, and the cohort who it affects is even smaller. To be fair rule changes aim to improve the game for the majority not the minority, so the argument it shouldn't be done for us few isn't a strong one

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

From what I've seen of the Golden Point in the NRL I'm not a fan of it.
    It's a session of 5 drives followed by an optimistic drop goal.
    It maybe drama for the partisan fans but if your watching the game as a neutral it's a scruffy way to end a match.

Hopefully we'll not need it

I tend to agree regarding the golden point rule. As it was before, if a game is tied with ten minutes to go you get that "golden point" drama anyway. And the benefit of that is that it falls within the 80 minute time frame of the game.

I look forward to watching a game when someone attempts a golden point drop goal and sky cut the broadcast before the ball reaches the sticks to show us a re run of the 1976 superbowl.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    From what I've seen of the Golden Point in the NRL I'm not a fan of it.
    It's a session of 5 drives followed by an optimistic drop goal.
    It maybe drama for the partisan fans but if your watching the game as a neutral it's a scruffy way to end a match.

Hopefully we'll not need it
    If a team has held it's own for 80 mins it deserves something out of the game. We already see teams scrambling for a DG when drawing, or leading by less than 6 with 5 mins to go. Why do we need to extend that. I like the idea for cup games.

Learning All The Songs

So they want to introduce more fatigue into the game and then mention player welfare. Sometimes breaks in play are needed.

I'm not a big fan of this change but the likelihood is very small, and the cohort who it affects is even smaller. To be fair rule changes aim to improve the game for the majority not the minority, so the argument it shouldn't be done for us few isn't a strong one
    I guess that's my other 'argument'. I'm not convinced that it improves the game. I can see why we have it in knock-out games as it avoid the need for a reply, but we don't need that for league games, and as others have said above, we already have the 'drama' towards the end of a game that is level on points.
    Hopefully it won't cause me too many problems!

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

How will this "Golden Point" play out for televised games? SKY struggle to fit in post match stuff now anyway without pushing it onto the red button, how are they going to accommodate this? Will we see the golden point time moved onto the red button so the programme doesn't overrun into the next scheduled programme? Or will they move KO even earlier, just in case?

All the other changes appear to be around reducing "down time" to keep the game flowing, which should make it better for the spectator, but the "Golden Point" feels very gimmicky. I know they have it in the NRL, but I never quite saw the purpose of it. Didn't Willie Talau think we had it in Superleague when he first played for us and just took the tackle at the end of the game when we were near the opponents (I want to say it was against Wigan) line in a decent place for a drop goal?

There's no mention of how to counter the time wasting by feigning injury, particularly a neck/head injury. I reckon any player who receives on-field treatment for a head/neck injury should be made to leave the field for a 10 minute 'medical assessment'. If the player is genuinely injured, they will be substituted anyway.
    I bought a pack of luminous condoms last week. The wife's face lit up.