Rages
    Robinson

Walmsley
    Roby
    Thompson

Taia
    Paula
    LMS

Surely not? Does anyone know the actual rationale for assigning squad numbers and what is our likely first team?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

First things first, you need to install some form of spellchecker

As for the team, I very much doubt we will line up like that and I’ll let someone else go into the pros and cons of squad numbers. I’m sure there are commercial reasons for doing it but I know a lot of people, including Justin Holbrook, aren’t fans of it.

In terms of how we are likely to line up, I don’t think this will be far off:

Coote
    Makinson
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace
    Lomax
    Richardson
    Thompson
    Roby
    Lees
    Peyroux
    Taia
    Paulo

Knowles
    LMS
    Douglas
    Walmsley

I think all but the 2nd starting prop alongside Thompson are pretty much nailed on to start with. I also think 2 of the bench spots (Walmsley and LMS) are highly likely too, so you’ve probably got Lees, Douglas, Amor and Ashworth pushing for a starting spot and then those same 4 plus Fages and Knowles looking to make up the rest of the 17.

Swift, Batchelor and Bentley will have to be patient to start with I think.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    First things first, you need to install some form of spellchecker

As for the team, I very much doubt we will line up like that and I’ll let someone else go into the pros and cons of squad numbers. I’m sure there are commercial reasons for doing it but I know a lot of people, including Justin Holbrook, aren’t fans of it.

In terms of how we are likely to line up, I don’t think this will be far off:

Coote
    Makinson
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace
    Lomax
    Richardson
    Thompson
    Roby
    Lees
    Peyroux
    Taia
    Paulo

Knowles
    LMS
    Douglas
    Walmsley

I think all but the 2nd starting prop alongside Thompson are pretty much nailed on to start with. I also think 2 of the bench spots (Walmsley and LMS) are highly likely too, so you’ve probably got Lees, Douglas, Amor and Ashworth pushing for a starting spot and then those same 4 plus Fages and Knowles looking to make up the rest of the 17.

Good post. I want Rages in my team!

I’m not a fan either and I assume it is to sell merchandise but I don’t know

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Lomax was given the option of playing at fullback but wants to stay at 6.

Giraffes team looks pretty likely to me.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Lomax was given the option of playing at fullback but wants to stay at 6.

Giraffes team looks pretty likely to me.
    Why did he keep number 1? Surely number 6 makes more sense then with Fages (Giraffe please take note) dropping to a number in the mid teens

Maybe it doesn’t matter and I should just “get with the programme”

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    According to the squad numbers our first team is:

Lomax

Makinson
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace

Rages
    Robinson

Walmsley
    Roby
    Thompson

Taia
    Paula
    LMS

Surely not? Does anyone know the actual rationale for assigning squad numbers and what is our likely first team?
    Have we signed Jason Robinson to play scrum half?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Why did he keep number 1? Surely number 6 makes more sense then with Fages (Giraffe please take note) dropping to a number in the mid teens

Maybe it doesn’t matter and I should just “get with the programme”
    Maybe he wants to keep 1 because he hasn’t picked up many injuries in that shirt and he’s superstitious. Tommy Martyn refused to wear 6 and stuck with 20 for the same reason. They are squad numbers at the end of the day. More like employee numbers on a wageslip these days.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Maybe he wants to keep 1 because he hasn’t picked up many injuries in that shirt and he’s superstitious. Tommy Martyn refused to wear 6 and stuck with 20 for the same reason. They are squad numbers at the end of the day. More like employee numbers on a wageslip these days.
    He's not had many injuries in that jersey or there's not many injuries he's not had?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Have we signed Jason Robinson to play scrum half?
    I’m more worried about Paula playing second row

Robby or Henry Paula?

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    He's not had many injuries in that jersey or there's not many injuries he's not had?
    His recent record is good to be fair. It’s become a bit of a myth how injury prone he supposedly is. He’s played 20 games or more in each of the last 3 years and played over 30 in 2018.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

According to the squad numbers our first team is:

Lomax

Makinson
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace

Rages
    Robinson

Walmsley
    Roby
    Thompson

Taia
    Paula
    LMS

Tony Robinson? He could be our cunning plan for 2019

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Upside
    Non Members

I prefer correct numbers each game

Starting A Programme Collection

Looks like we have a fiery standoff.

Learning All The Songs

Paula Fish? Scorchio

Radcliffe?

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

There was me thinking this thread was going to be a discussion of our prospects for the season ahead and the eager anticipation of seeing our new players in action.

Ah well not long to go.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    There was me thinking this thread was going to be a discussion of our prospects for the season ahead and the eager anticipation of seeing our new players in action.

Ah well not long to go.
    I hoped that too Grouse but I can’t post anything without making a few typos and I can understand people taking the ••••! I do want Rages in my team. That makes me think of Sonny Nickle and George Mann sadly, not Thor Fages

And see no typos!!!

Learning All The Songs

Should I edit my original post, correcting the mistakes and giving the players their actual names?

It’s a philosophical question. Answers on a post card to Paulo Rages PO Box.........

His recent record is good to be fair. It’s become a bit of a myth how injury prone he supposedly is. He’s played 20 games or more in each of the last 3 years and played over 30 in 2018.
    I was only joking but it's hardly a shirt that would be classed as lucky for him injury wise. He's had some shocking luck in the past wearing it

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

In terms of how we are likely to line up, I donÂ’t think this will be far off:

Coote
    Makinson
    Naiqama
    Percival
    Grace
    Lomax
    Richardson
    Thompson
    Roby
    Lees
    Peyroux
    Taia
    Paulo

Knowles
    LMS
    Douglas
    Walmsley

I think all but the 2nd starting prop alongside Thompson are pretty much nailed on to start with. I also think 2 of the bench spots (Walmsley and LMS) are highly likely too, so youÂ’ve probably got Lees, Douglas, Amor and Ashworth pushing for a starting spot and then those same 4 plus Fages and Knowles looking to make up the rest of the 17.

I agree, but think Fages has to be on the interchange YG; even with the reduction in interchanges and so an increased workload for the forwards, you need a utility on the bench. Most teams in the NRL still do this. Fages is the best option Saints have to do it, because he can play in the halves and at hooker. 13 too. Knowles and Douglas to miss out for me, as I was impressed with Ashworth last season and deserves his spot.

It's a big squad the club have assembled and Saints will be up there again competing for the silverware no doubt, but I can't help but feel there's some creativity or dare I say X-factor, missing in the pivotal positions. Thompson and Walmsley will punch plenty of holes, but I'm not sure which one of Coote, Lomax or Richardson, will be able to convert them in to T-R-Y's more often than not. Saints could have the best defense again, but can they score enough tries to win the tight games? This cost Saints dearly in the Warrington semi-final.

I also have to say that I don't support the idea which some on here have suggested, that Coote's kicking game will improve the attack- I think it's more important that your full back in the modern game, threatens the line, can bust tackles and has the speed to finish off breaks. I can't think of one team in the NRL which places emphasis on the full back kicking the ball and it's clear that the best full backs in that competition last year were RTS and Tedesco. Both great runners of the ball. It's the same for SL. So it will be interesting to see how the coach shapes the attack and fills the huge hole left by Barba.

And just on the squad numbers... if Coote asked to have 23, then fair play to him I say and let's see if he can wear that shirt with just as much distinction as the previous incumbent.

Regards,

STEVO
    Last edited by Mike Stephenson; 1st January 2019 at 12:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I agree, but think Fages has to be on the interchange YG; even with the reduction in interchanges and so an increased workload for the forwards, you need a utility on the bench. Most teams in the NRL still do this. Fages is the best option Saints have to do it, because he can play in the halves and at hooker. 13 too. Knowles and Douglas to miss out for me, as I was impressed with Ashworth last season and deserves his spot.

It's a big squad the club have assembled and Saints will be up there again competing for the silverware no doubt, but I can't help but feel there's some creativity or dare I say X-factor, missing in the pivotal positions. Thompson and Walmsley will punch plenty of holes, but I'm not sure which one of Coote, Lomax or Richardson, will be able to convert them in to T-R-Y's more often than not. Saints could have the best defense again, but can they score enough tries to win the tight games? This cost Saints dearly in the Warrington semi-final.

I also have to say that I don't support the idea which some on here have suggested, that Coote's kicking game will improve the attack- I think it's more important that your full back in the modern game, threatens the line, can bust tackles and has the speed to finish off breaks. I can't think of one team in the NRL which places emphasis on the full back kicking the ball and it's clear that the best full backs in that competition last year were RTS and Tedesco. Both great runners of the ball. It's the same for SL. So it will be interesting to see how the coach shapes the attack and fills the huge hole left by Barba.

And just on the squad numbers... if Coote asked to have 23, then fair play to him I say and let's see if he can wear that shirt with just as much distinction as the previous incumbent.

Regards,

STEVO
    It’ll be interesting to see what Holbrook does with Knowles. I’m a massive fan of his but I fear for him a little bit in terms of him not being able to nail down a regular spot. I think he probably had his eye on loose forward to replace Wilkin but then the club go and sign Paulo which is another hurdle for him. I really rate him and he’d always be in my 17. I also like Fages but whether there’s room for both in the 17, I’m not sure. I’d personally go with both of them at a push but I’m not sure Holbrook will.

The part about cootes kicking game that will improve our attack. I don't think people are saying it will improve the attack but our end of sets were shocking last year and it really cost us in the Warrington semi. For a quick easy example, if he's as good as luke Walsh was with the ball (when he was playing well) I think we'll go ok. Don't forget we have Lomax Percival and Naiqama

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

The part about cootes kicking game that will improve our attack. I don't think people are saying it will improve the attack but our end of sets were shocking last year and it really cost us in the Warrington semi. For a quick easy example, if he's as good as luke Walsh was with the ball (when he was playing well) I think we'll go ok. Don't forget we have Lomax Percival and Naiqama
    Last year we, and all the opposition, knew it was going to be Richardson to end the set. I just see Coote as being someone to be able to share that pressure and man marking along with Richardson.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

It’ll be interesting to see what Holbrook does with Knowles. I’m a massive fan of his but I fear for him a little bit in terms of him not being able to nail down a regular spot. I think he probably had his eye on loose forward to replace Wilkin but then the club go and sign Paulo which is another hurdle for him. I really rate him and he’d always be in my 17. I also like Fages but whether there’s room for both in the 17, I’m not sure. I’d personally go with both of them at a push but I’m not sure Holbrook will.
    Yeah I like Knowles too, though I've always been a little unsure on what his best position is. And whilst I don't see him as a hooker as Holbrook has sometimes used him, he's proved he should be in and around the 17. I thought Wilkin's departure would be an opportunity for him to nail down the loose forward position as well, or perhaps compete with James Bentley for it- that's supposed to be his best position isn't it? He hasn't really been given enough opportunity to show that he's ready for SL as yet despite his reputation. The 3 year deal for Paulo did surprise me as I've said before and you would have to think he'll have the shirt.

I think there's an argument to say that Luke Douglas should be in the side too after his performances towards the end of last season, so Saints seem to have over-stocked on forwards and comes back to the discussion about whether Saints have spent there money wisely/decided to go with just the one marquee player etc. Only time will tell now if they've got this right.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Last year we, and all the opposition, knew it was going to be Richardson to end the set. I just see Coote as being someone to be able to share that pressure and man marking along with Richardson.
    Yes I see what you are both saying, but this idea of playing the percentages if you will, is a step back I feel for Saints and harps back to the previous regime when Saints really struggled to score points. I just think the kicking has to fall on Richardson's shoulders. That's his skill set and he has to take responsibility for this. Much like Luke Walsh did when he was at the club. It's Lomax/his halves partner who should be supporting him with it, not the full back. Barba has a great short kicking game, but seldom used it because he was running the ball. Either through his own instinct or the coach's instruction.

Regards,

STEVO
    Last edited by Mike Stephenson; 1st January 2019 at 14:43.