Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Year Honours

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    The fault lies simply with our absolutely p*** poor administration who have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

It helps give people a sense of superiority when criticising others with little or no knowledge of what actually goes on.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    It helps give people a sense of superiority when criticising others with little or no knowledge of what actually goes on.
    So you know all about the workings of the RFL then and how good they are? Happy to criticise when it's apparent just how poor they are compared to other sporting organisations.
    Learned comment from The Don

Upside
    Non Members

So you know all about the workings of the RFL then and how good they are? Happy to criticise when it's apparent just how poor they are compared to other sporting organisations.
    I don't know about the working which is why I don't claim to unlike you.

No RL player is on the honours list and you jump to a conclusion that it's the RFLs fault and slate them without knowing the facts. It could be no RL player was deemed worthy this time round?

RFL may be a lot of things, no need to look for reasons to have yet another go, it overlooks many other factors

In The South Stand

Sorry for sticking my nose in and I promise it will be the last time but in my earlier post I gave a couple of suggestions ie England winning a 3 game test series against New Zealand and Makinson being best rugby League player in the world .

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Sorry for sticking my nose in and I promise it will be the last time but in my earlier post I gave a couple of suggestions ie England winning a 3 game test series against New Zealand and Makinson being best rugby League player in the world .
    Makinson the best rugby league player in the world? Be realistic

In The South Stand

That's what the experts said.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    That's what the experts said.
    It isn't to be fair.

The golden boot if for the standout international player that year

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    It isn't to be fair.

The golden boot if for the standout international player that year

True, and I'm not sure that's enough to warrant an Honour?

True, and I'm not sure that's enough to warrant an Honour?
    Perhaps that's the most important question on this story. Who in our game deserved an award this year?

Bill Beaumont was a great player, a loyal servant of Fylde RFUC and has served the RFU for years. His service to that sport is over 40 years. Weir was also a great player for Scotland and the Lions and has raised an awful lot of money for charity despite being seriously ill.

League players in the same situation were honoured so why are these awards part of some kind of conspiracy to keep little old rugby league down?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Perhaps that's the most important question on this story. Who in our game deserved an award this year?

Bill Beaumont was a great player, a loyal servant of Fylde RFUC and has served the RFU for years. His service to that sport is over 40 years. Weir was also a great player for Scotland and the Lions and has raised an awful lot of money for charity despite being seriously ill.

League players in the same situation were honoured so why are these awards part of some kind of conspiracy to keep little old rugby league down?

I get the argument you are making but why then does the England football captain get a gong for basically being a losing semi finalist?

In The South Stand

any player should be aiming to play for his country because that is the highest accolade they can get , so if the organisation that decides these things decides that any player is the best in that sphere then surely that is good enough criteria for best . If any organisation / country disagrees it is up to them to join and put themselves in a position to compete for best player awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I get the argument you are making but why then does the England football captain get a gong for basically being a losing semi finalist?
    You're the first person to raise that as a question though. Funny that people believe if you play football its acceptable but if you play Union it isnt

Got A Season Ticket

These awards should be dumped in the dustbin of history (Empire finished in 1947) along with the freeloading 'royals'.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    So what?
    'So what?' because it's just another little cog in an overall narrative that sees RL discriminated against in favour of more 'Establishment' sports.

Look back over the history of these 'honours' and compare the number of RU recipients to those of RL . This isn't some new phenomenon; it's been commented on for decades by people across the spectrum of RL, from writers to players to administrators to fans. There was even a Parliamentary submission on the matter by the APPRLG (https://publications.parliament.uk/p...12/212we82.htm)

As an aside, in this year's honours it's not just Beaumont and Weir who received them, there was also some Ireland captain from yesteryear and some administrator from a small RU club in NI. Also worth noting that much as Beaumont is a nice guy (like others on here, I've also met him), he did go to private school, as did Weir. This doesn't make them bad people, of course, but does make them 'Establishment-friendly'.

In terms of knighthoods, there has never been one awarded for services to RL.

For contrast, there have been 12 for RU, 14 for cricket, 12 for sailing/rowing, 9 for 'horse sports'.

Football has 14, but the vast majority of these have been since 1990. For much of its existence, and up until its post-WW2 popularity surge, football faced not dissimilar prejudices by the Establishment and broadsheet media that RL has continued to face. It was not considered a gentleman's sport.

Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Thanks Webbo that makes my point above entirely. The RFL should be pushing nominations. You are not telling me that there are no unsung heroes in RL?

Banned

Thanks Webbo that makes my point above entirely. The RFL should be pushing nominations. You are not telling me that there are no unsung heroes in RL?

I've no doubt there are legions of 'unsung heroes' across all sports.

What neither me nor you know is how much or little the RFL or other RL bodies/clubs do push nominations for honours (which again, I think is part of your point, unless I've misunderstood you)

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I've no doubt there are legions of 'unsung heroes' across all sports.

What neither me nor you know is how much or little the RFL or other RL bodies/clubs do push nominations for honours (which again, I think is part of your point, unless I've misunderstood you)
    Yes thanks the RFL marketing should be all over this and most other things.This is a really cheap and effective marketing tool as it's all over the press.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Yes thanks the RFL marketing should be all over this and most other things.This is a really cheap and effective marketing tool as it's all over the press.
    I always get the impression that the marketing team is always on the "back burner", didn't the RFL a few years ago have a full season without a marketing manager and Brian Barwick's expertise in this area always seems dormant to me.

Also, I wonder if they filled the Commercial Sales Manager position which involved sponsorship of the game. https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...3D&htivrt=jobs

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I always get the impression that the marketing team is always on the "back burner", didn't the RFL a few years ago have a full season without a marketing manager and Brian Barwick's expertise in this area always seems dormant to me.

Also, I wonder if they filled the Commercial Sales Manager position which involved sponsorship of the game. https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...3D&htivrt=jobs
    I don’t know about marketing but there was a brilliant example of good PR on the BBC News today. The organisation responsible for Triathlons got a lot of free air time by promoting the sport for keep fit purposes. I don’t see any evidence that RL uses a good PR company to keep it in the news.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    'So what?' because it's just another little cog in an overall narrative that sees RL discriminated against in favour of more 'Establishment' sports.

Look back over the history of these 'honours' and compare the number of RU recipients to those of RL . This isn't some new phenomenon; it's been commented on for decades by people across the spectrum of RL, from writers to players to administrators to fans. There was even a Parliamentary submission on the matter by the APPRLG (https://publications.parliament.uk/p...12/212we82.htm)

As an aside, in this year's honours it's not just Beaumont and Weir who received them, there was also some Ireland captain from yesteryear and some administrator from a small RU club in NI. Also worth noting that much as Beaumont is a nice guy (like others on here, I've also met him), he did go to private school, as did Weir. This doesn't make them bad people, of course, but does make them 'Establishment-friendly'.

In terms of knighthoods, there has never been one awarded for services to RL.

For contrast, there have been 12 for RU, 14 for cricket, 12 for sailing/rowing, 9 for 'horse sports'.

Football has 14, but the vast majority of these have been since 1990. For much of its existence, and up until its post-WW2 popularity surge, football faced not dissimilar prejudices by the Establishment and broadsheet media that RL has continued to face. It was not considered a gentleman's sport.
    I can understand RU and football having more as they have many more players, but, rowing, horse sports c'mon!

Got A Season Ticket

There was a advert on sky sports the other day for the sport they had to show in 2019 I saw women's rugby union but no sight of rugby league if the broadcaster who's shows the game can't be bothered to big up the sport I'm not surprised at the lack of exposure we have

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    Again, so what? If that's all you have to worry you're a lucky man.

If the discrimination against our sport (since pretty much its inception) doesn't bother you, then you can concentrate on other threads.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    There was a advert on sky sports the other day for the sport they had to show in 2019 I saw women's rugby union but no sight of rugby league if the broadcaster who's shows the game can't be bothered to big up the sport I'm not surprised at the lack of exposure we have
    There was an article on the BBC website the other day about "Sporting Highlights for 2019". A whole range of sports were covered, including netball, women's football, 'disability sport' - and, of course, rugby union. But no mention of anything to do with RL.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    In a couple of years time I reckon women rugby union will be a bigger profile than our male Rugby League.

Well this is what actually went on today:

I wanted to check on the plans/itinerary for the 2019 Lions Tour so I checked on the RFL website (particularly given that the RFL set a deadline of Christmas for this to be finalised and I hadn't seen any news about it) - I followed the link to the page that told me about the Tour and made my enquiry using that page. I've received a reply thanking me for my interest in the England v New Zealand Test match in Denver 2018 - I'm happy to pass on to you the information that there are still good options available but the tours are selling well and it will be an excellent experience! They also confirmed the details of my actual enquiry which is clearly titled "Lions Tour 2019".

I've replied to them to point out their error and commented that it's beyond belief (or maybe it isn't) that this is how they deal with a query for what is supposed to be their premier international event this year. By any stretch this must qualify as p*** poor administration.