Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tony Adams New President of the RFL

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    Belting post. Some people won't hear a word said about RL in general no matter what, but the part that really rings true is that the game needs to drag itself off it's arse and stop with the victim mentality. I can't understand how someone wants proof that they're not up to the job when the evidence is clear as day.
    I agree.

There is also a significant lack of accountability. Trying to remember the last time the RFL said 'we got it wrong' yet I could put a fairly long list together of where they have.

Tony Adams appt is a good one though as long as we can see an active, visible presence. Top, top defender who sorted himself out big time as he was struggling

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I am not basing what I think from rants on forums & if it comes across that way, then I can only apologise.

I emailed the RFL enquiries address the other week (before the stuff came out about them requesting that Cats, Tolouse, Toronto cough up a fairly chunky sum of cash to play in the CC).

I made the point that the final would be better at Cardiff, due to the stadium being better, the fact that it's about 16k less in terms of capacity & that there's much more around the stadium due to its location. The response I got was along the lines of: 'The Challenge Cup & Wembley have a great tradition.' Brilliant, that'll get the seats sold. The old Wembley maybe. Most people, including me, couldn't care less about the place. It's rubbish, been there twice with Saints, twice with England RL & numerous times with Utd. A half-baked response & then they came out with the gem of charging those non-heartland clubs to compete (one of the clubs who won it last season). It's farcical.

Not even trying to fill the ground that they've decided to play the showpiece event at for however long. Penalising the non-heartland clubs because they won't bring many if they get to a final. It's absurd & penalises success on the pitch in getting to a final. I can't get my head around why people don't see this for the absurd idea it is. It's ridiculous. A cop-out.

As they are the governing body, I would expect them to have a fair amount of clout. Mind you, Moran, McManus, Lenegan (pretty successful people from what I see) weren't happy with things & got a chief exec in for SL. Koukash expressed his frustration with the RFL & I think he's done alright as well. No help from the RFL to try to make Salford work though.

Day to day, I don't really know. They never communicate with the fans. They don't provide updates on anything. Never see any adverts for recruitment, notably marketing roles. I think there's a development coach's job going at the moment, that's it.

The game needs to generate some money. You generate money by having a good marketing strategy. The product on the pitch is there. They had an international at Anfield in November on a Sunday afternoon & sold 26k. It's embarrasing. people in Liverpool didn't even know the game was being played. why didn't they put an offer on for Liverpool season ticket holders, I would have had no problem with someone paying around £900.00 for a season of football & then getting a ticket for the England game for a tenner.

You can't just throw your hands up & say 'aw that's it.' I can't see the drive, desire & ambition to drag this game off it's backside by it's own governing body. They aren't doing enough.

When you throw into the mix the other horlicks' they've made...

Stadiums... Cas & Wakefield don't have a new stadium. Leeds' half done. Hull KR half done. Yet we all thought that was compoulsory.

Sally Bolton...did a brilliant job for the World Cup in 2013 (why didn't the RFL give her a permanent role)? She did more for the game in this country than the RFL have done for 20 years.

Challenge Cup: no sponsor.

The failed expansion clubs.

I could go on & on.

They are not up to it.
    Yeah you have covered all our fans feelings with that post Ralph.
    Strangely you will find allies in Phil Clarke and Brian Carney over the stadium issues and rebuking of the non event licence fiasco. Clarkey thinks it cost us at least two trophies, new fans and money with the on the road Widnes debacle.
    The Sally Bolton appointment was their one visionary achievement yet we lost momentum straight after that, partly because she was not elected chief executive, she showed them for what they are inept, no way could she be kept in a position of power.
    World wide there is a few big hitters who could put any kind of sponsorship for RL events, these are former terrace fans who would like to assist, why are they not on board?

Got A Season Ticket

I am not basing what I think from rants on forums & if it comes across that way, then I can only apologise.

I emailed the RFL enquiries address the other week (before the stuff came out about them requesting that Cats, Tolouse, Toronto cough up a fairly chunky sum of cash to play in the CC).

I made the point that the final would be better at Cardiff, due to the stadium being better, the fact that it's about 16k less in terms of capacity & that there's much more around the stadium due to its location. The response I got was along the lines of: 'The Challenge Cup & Wembley have a great tradition.' Brilliant, that'll get the seats sold. The old Wembley maybe. Most people, including me, couldn't care less about the place. It's rubbish, been there twice with Saints, twice with England RL & numerous times with Utd. A half-baked response & then they came out with the gem of charging those non-heartland clubs to compete (one of the clubs who won it last season). It's farcical.

Not even trying to fill the ground that they've decided to play the showpiece event at for however long. Penalising the non-heartland clubs because they won't bring many if they get to a final. It's absurd & penalises success on the pitch in getting to a final. I can't get my head around why people don't see this for the absurd idea it is. It's ridiculous. A cop-out.

As they are the governing body, I would expect them to have a fair amount of clout. Mind you, Moran, McManus, Lenegan (pretty successful people from what I see) weren't happy with things & got a chief exec in for SL. Koukash expressed his frustration with the RFL & I think he's done alright as well. No help from the RFL to try to make Salford work though.

Day to day, I don't really know. They never communicate with the fans. They don't provide updates on anything. Never see any adverts for recruitment, notably marketing roles. I think there's a development coach's job going at the moment, that's it.

The game needs to generate some money. You generate money by having a good marketing strategy. The product on the pitch is there. They had an international at Anfield in November on a Sunday afternoon & sold 26k. It's embarrasing. people in Liverpool didn't even know the game was being played. why didn't they put an offer on for Liverpool season ticket holders, I would have had no problem with someone paying around £900.00 for a season of football & then getting a ticket for the England game for a tenner.

You can't just throw your hands up & say 'aw that's it.' I can't see the drive, desire & ambition to drag this game off it's backside by it's own governing body. They aren't doing enough.

When you throw into the mix the other horlicks' they've made...

Stadiums... Cas & Wakefield don't have a new stadium. Leeds' half done. Hull KR half done. Yet we all thought that was compoulsory.

Sally Bolton...did a brilliant job for the World Cup in 2013 (why didn't the RFL give her a permanent role)? She did more for the game in this country than the RFL have done for 20 years.

Challenge Cup: no sponsor.

The failed expansion clubs.

I could go on & on.

They are not up to it.
    BRAVO!!! Great post and the point about Sally Bolton is a great one, I think the powers that be at the RFL were scared of what she did and could achieve and they wanted to keep the old boys network going without her.

On the point about publicity and it costing money, what about the likes of Facebook etc being used more for information, upcoming events, ticket offers, etc, etc. If it is being blamed for Trump being elected due to the amount of information/false information being put on social media and the Labour Party getting more buy in from the younger electorate due to what they did on social media then I,m sure some savvy information people at the RFL can get information out there in the public domain and I dont mean in dribs and drabs

Upside
    Non Members

Yep see your points. Doing it properly is probably expensive & if there isn't the cash to do it then it's a problem.

But if we don't get a big sell, we don't get the bums on seats and then we are at square one.

But having said all that and as a previous poster alluded to; the tv money is the crucial one.

The current one was hardly a negotiating master class from Wood & we ended up playing on Thursday nights in half full grounds.

We keep saying we are a family sport but most of the game's are on when the kids are off to bed. So mum & dad possibly can't go either.

Then the media see the half full grounds & just laugh at us. Eddie Hearn said the game is on its knees & I can believe him

You're right though, there will be fans who hammer the RFL & don't make an attempt to go. I can honestly say I do. I care about the sport. I love it
    You love it, I can see that, you're not the problem fan but plenty others are

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    BRAVO!!! Great post and the point about Sally Bolton is a great one, I think the powers that be at the RFL were scared of what she did and could achieve and they wanted to keep the old boys network going without her.

On the point about publicity and it costing money, what about the likes of Facebook etc being used more for information, upcoming events, ticket offers, etc, etc. If it is being blamed for Trump being elected due to the amount of information/false information being put on social media and the Labour Party getting more buy in from the younger electorate due to what they did on social media then I,m sure some savvy information people at the RFL can get information out there in the public domain and I dont mean in dribs and drabs
    Good point. Social media. I'll be honest. I'm not on FB or Twitter but I am pretty sure I'm in the minority there.

Do the RFL use these platforms much to advertise events?

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    You love it, I can see that, you're not the problem fan but plenty others are
    I know. That I don't have the answer to.

Despite what I think of how the sport in this country is ran, I'll still try to find the dosh & the time to get to the games.

EDIT: But I do understand that many simply do not have the spare money at all

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Yeah you have covered all our fans feelings with that post Ralph.
    Strangely you will find allies in Phil Clarke and Brian Carney over the stadium issues and rebuking of the non event licence fiasco. Clarkey thinks it cost us at least two trophies, new fans and money with the on the road Widnes debacle.
    The Sally Bolton appointment was their one visionary achievement yet we lost momentum straight after that, partly because she was not elected chief executive, she showed them for what they are inept, no way could she be kept in a position of power.
    World wide there is a few big hitters who could put any kind of sponsorship for RL events, these are former terrace fans who would like to assist, why are they not on board?
    I did wonder myself why Sally Bolton was not retained. I think you have just clarified that

Good point. Social media. I'll be honest. I'm not on FB or Twitter but I am pretty sure I'm in the minority there.

Do the RFL use these platforms much to advertise events?
    They do.

Upside
    Non Members

I know. That I don't have the answer to.

Despite what I think of how the sport in this country is ran, I'll still try to find the dosh & the time to get to the games.

EDIT: But I do understand that many simply do not have the spare money at all

Which is fair enough, if fans don't have the money, but then to blame the RFL for also not having money?

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Which is fair enough, if fans don't have the money, but then to blame the RFL for also not having money?
    In my opinion they don't do enough to try to generate any.

And they have made numerous howlers with the running of the sport. But we'll end up going through the same again.

You make a good argument on the money side of things, I can't deny that because you're right.

My point is the acceptance of this and then being unwilling/unable to attempt to sort it out

Upside
    Non Members

That's the top and bottom of it. I don't think anyone will disagree there isn't much spare floating around, but the greedy, incompetent •••••••s that run the game still pocket their very nice salaries, plus whatever other freebies they bag which I'm sure they do as after all, who do they answer to? Each other, that's who. Without any proof, that's why the game is in the shit state it is now, because greedy, self serving men will not let go of their little cash cow, and quite possibly don't want their discrepancies uncovered.
    Your speculation may be true, and equally may be far from the mark

Got A Season Ticket

That's the top and bottom of it. I don't think anyone will disagree there isn't much spare floating around, but the greedy, incompetent •••••••s that run the game still pocket their very nice salaries, plus whatever other freebies they bag which I'm sure they do as after all, who do they answer to? Each other, that's who. Without any proof, that's why the game is in the shit state it is now, because greedy, self serving men will not let go of their little cash cow, and quite possibly don't want their discrepancies uncovered.
    And who voted Ralph Rimmer into his role??.....Oh, that would be the RFL board that he was already on.... Jobs for the boys when they had the ideal opportunity to get someone new in who is a LEADER and instead have given us disgruntled supporters more ammunition against them!

And I too attend the international games and support the game whenever I can. You cannot complain about low attendances at international games if you have them on your door step and dont go out and attend and support them. I dont get the "I,m not going to x football ground cos I support y team, absolute nonsense!

Learning All The Songs

You certainly can do what you like but, following that argument should Evertonian/Red Saints not go to watch a GF just cos they hate United ?

Got A Season Ticket

I can do what I like to be fair.
    But that type of reason is childish and immature. Yes you can obviously do what you like and have a choice but dont moan (not saying you have particularly moaned about this) about attendance numbers when the games are on your door step, do something about it and support.... The games are not priced dear, especially for an international occasion and especially against other sports internationals.