Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tony Adams New President of the RFL

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    As for your points made, in full agreement with you

Really, you want even more change? Just when we need stability?

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Really, you want even more change? Just when we need stability?
    In terms of the governing body, yes I do.
    I believe the current crop do not have the best interests of the game at heart & despite the lack of money in the game, there's some pretty good salaries getting dished out to the top brass when the game's profile & appeal is as low as I can remember in this country

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I don't know what the job entails either, but I do get that Andy Burnham had links with RL (particularly Leigh) being from the North West.
    No disrespect to Tony Adams, but what are his links to the sport?
    I don't really get it...But does it matter?

What links does Burnham have with Leigh other than being local. Does anyone know what he actually did during his time and must admit I can't remember seeing or hearing much of him at all. Happy to stand corrected.

Don't need links to get involved and do a good jobjust need proper qualities. With his background and personal experiences would have thought Adams should do a good job particularly player welfare and help some of the more wayward ones stay on the right tracks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post
    What links does Burnham have with Leigh other than being local. Does anyone know what he actually did during his time and must admit I can't remember seeing or hearing much of him at all. Happy to stand corrected.

Burnham was born in Liverpool but grew up in St Helens (Newton le Willows). He was MP for Leigh.

Not sure his interest in RL extends beyond looking good to his constituents.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post

Don't need links to get involved and do a good jobjust need proper qualities. With his background and personal experiences would have thought Adams should do a good job particularly player welfare and help some of the more wayward ones stay on the right tracks.
    Burnham is Honorary Vice-President at Leigh. I'm not actually sure what that means, and Webbo might be right, but I also seem to remember him saying something about his Father being a life long fan of the game.

Edit. Just found this ...https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk...nt_for_Leigh_/

I’ve heard Burnham talk up the game a few times, I’m sure.

Adams has already proven to be a good appointment, IMO. The game is getting friendly coverage in places where it is usually ignored, which as far as I can see is basically the purpose of an ambassadorial role like this.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I’ve heard Burnham talk up the game a few times, I’m sure.

Adams has already proven to be a good appointment, IMO. The game is getting friendly coverage in places where it is usually ignored, which as far as I can see is basically the purpose of an ambassadorial role like this.
    I’m sure Barwick Rimmer will sort that out with something stupid & negative.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I’m sure Barwick Rimmer will sort that out with something stupid & negative.
    Like by failing to secure a sponsor for the Challenge cup? And as such trying to make teams pay to play? Nah, surely even they aren't capable of leading an organisation to that point....

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    Like by failing to secure a sponsor for the Challenge cup? And as such trying to make teams pay to play? Nah, surely even they aren't capable of leading an organisation to that point....

The RFL is just a gravy train for those lucky enough to be in the know & land the positions

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

The RFL is just a gravy train for those lucky enough to be in the know & land the positions
    With the levels of incompetency they display, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see SL ditch them in a move similar to the PL.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    How good is that!!

Sign Stuart Pearce up as RFL spokes person. Hes done more for rugby league positive publicity in 30 seconds than Ralph has in years!
    The RFL should seize the opportunity with any top sports star who shows a keen interest in our sport. Freddie Flintoff and Bradley Wiggins could be recruited. So many opportunities are missed. Ian Botham who showed a keen interest when his lad was playing being just one example..

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    With the levels of incompetency they display, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see SL ditch them in a move similar to the PL.
    Isn’t that basically what they’ve just done?

Isn’t that basically what they’ve just done?
    Apart from appointing Elstone, I'm not sure what they have done?

Upside
    Non Members

In terms of the governing body, yes I do.
    I believe the current crop do not have the best interests of the game at heart & despite the lack of money in the game, there's some pretty good salaries getting dished out to the top brass when the game's profile & appeal is as low as I can remember in this country
    I read the original comment as just being 'change' and not specifically personnel at the RFL
    I don't know whose interests they have, I assume they do have the best interests of the game at heart but don't know.
    What I do know is we don't need more changes and gimmics, and there's no money in the game, so we are restricted in what can be done

Default Tony Adams New President of the RFL

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Apart from appointing Elstone, I'm not sure what they have done?
    The vote that the SL clubs won to change the structure of the league was also effectively a breakaway vote. After winning it SL Europe now has control of everything related to SL, from promotion and marketing to negotiating the next tv deal. The RFL is now basically focused on the lower leagues, challenge cup and community game.

The vote that the SL clubs won to change the structure of the league was also effectively a breakaway vote. After winning it SL Europe now has control of everything related to SL, from promotion and marketing to negotiating the next tv deal. The RFL is now basically focused on the lower leagues, challenge cup and community game.
    Thanks mate. Now you have written it I do remember,but had forgotten it.

Upside
    Non Members

Which is why I'm always surprised when RFL get so much stick when they look after everything but the golden egg. SL have the power and lines share, they should do more to promote the game, the other clibs should do more to sort out their business. But I guess it's modern society to look for blame elsewhere, not my fault it was them bull I hear so often.

RL has to snap out of this victim rubbish and stop looking for persecutors as we are making things more difficult for ourselves. We should talk our own game up

Default Tony Adams New President of the RFL

Which is why I'm always surprised when RFL get so much stick when they look after everything but the golden egg. SL have the power and lines share, they should do more to promote the game, the other clibs should do more to sort out their business. But I guess it's modern society to look for blame elsewhere, not my fault it was them bull I hear so often.

RL has to snap out of this victim rubbish and stop looking for persecutors as we are making things more difficult for ourselves. We should talk our own game up
    I agree with some of this, and it’s true that the RFL has taken the blame for some bad decisions that were actually made by the clubs (e.g. reserve grade, the Stobart deal). But we’ve only had clarity on the separation of responsibilities between SL and RFL for a couple of months so I think it’s too early to pass judgement on the the Elstone-era SL governance yet. Ultimately the measure of his success or failure will be the next tv deal, IMO.

Upside
    Non Members

I agree with some of this, and it’s true that the RFL has taken the blame for some bad decisions that were actually made by the clubs (e.g. reserve grade, the Stobart deal). But we’ve only had clarity on the separation of responsibilities between SL and RFL for a couple of months so I think it’s too early to pass judgement on the the Elstone-era SL governance yet. Ultimately the measure of his success or failure will be the next tv deal, IMO.
    Yes the tv deal is critical, without that then the other arguments are pretty irrelevant

I read the original comment as just being 'change' and not specifically personnel at the RFL
    I don't know whose interests they have, I assume they do have the best interests of the game at heart but don't know.
    What I do know is we don't need more changes and gimmics, and there's no money in the game, so we are restricted in what can be done
    They are there to make as much money for themselves whilst doing as little graft as possible.

Yorkshire old pals act who couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery. No money in the game, I take your point. But they need to be busting their backsides to get some in.

From what I see, they are not doing it. They find themselves in top positions not due to their ability but who they know

Got A Season Ticket

They are there to make as much money for themselves whilst doing as little graft as possible.

Yorkshire old pals act who couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery. No money in the game, I take your point. But they need to be busting their backsides to get some in.

From what I see, they are not doing it. They find themselves in top positions not due to their ability but who they know
    Absolutely!!

Upside
    Non Members

I'm not saying your wrong, it's just I have no evidence of your claims, I don't pretend to know something based on assumptions and rants on forums.
    So do you know what they do from day to day, what challenges they face, what budgets they have, what they actually control, how much power they have, how they recruit staff?

I'm not saying your wrong, it's just I have no evidence of your claims, I don't pretend to know something based on assumptions and rants on forums.
    So do you know what they do from day to day, what challenges they face, what budgets they have, what they actually control, how much power they have, how they recruit staff?
    I am not basing what I think from rants on forums & if it comes across that way, then I can only apologise.

I emailed the RFL enquiries address the other week (before the stuff came out about them requesting that Cats, Tolouse, Toronto cough up a fairly chunky sum of cash to play in the CC).

I made the point that the final would be better at Cardiff, due to the stadium being better, the fact that it's about 16k less in terms of capacity & that there's much more around the stadium due to its location. The response I got was along the lines of: 'The Challenge Cup & Wembley have a great tradition.' Brilliant, that'll get the seats sold. The old Wembley maybe. Most people, including me, couldn't care less about the place. It's rubbish, been there twice with Saints, twice with England RL & numerous times with Utd. A half-baked response & then they came out with the gem of charging those non-heartland clubs to compete (one of the clubs who won it last season). It's farcical.

Not even trying to fill the ground that they've decided to play the showpiece event at for however long. Penalising the non-heartland clubs because they won't bring many if they get to a final. It's absurd & penalises success on the pitch in getting to a final. I can't get my head around why people don't see this for the absurd idea it is. It's ridiculous. A cop-out.

As they are the governing body, I would expect them to have a fair amount of clout. Mind you, Moran, McManus, Lenegan (pretty successful people from what I see) weren't happy with things & got a chief exec in for SL. Koukash expressed his frustration with the RFL & I think he's done alright as well. No help from the RFL to try to make Salford work though.

Day to day, I don't really know. They never communicate with the fans. They don't provide updates on anything. Never see any adverts for recruitment, notably marketing roles. I think there's a development coach's job going at the moment, that's it.

The game needs to generate some money. You generate money by having a good marketing strategy. The product on the pitch is there. They had an international at Anfield in November on a Sunday afternoon & sold 26k. It's embarrasing. people in Liverpool didn't even know the game was being played. why didn't they put an offer on for Liverpool season ticket holders, I would have had no problem with someone paying around £900.00 for a season of football & then getting a ticket for the England game for a tenner.

You can't just throw your hands up & say 'aw that's it.' I can't see the drive, desire & ambition to drag this game off it's backside by it's own governing body. They aren't doing enough.

When you throw into the mix the other horlicks' they've made...

Stadiums... Cas & Wakefield don't have a new stadium. Leeds' half done. Hull KR half done. Yet we all thought that was compoulsory.

Sally Bolton...did a brilliant job for the World Cup in 2013 (why didn't the RFL give her a permanent role)? She did more for the game in this country than the RFL have done for 20 years.

Challenge Cup: no sponsor.

The failed expansion clubs.

I could go on & on.

They are not up to it.

Upside
    Non Members

I am not basing what I think from rants on forums & if it comes across that way, then I can only apologise.

I emailed the RFL enquiries address the other week (before the stuff came out about them requesting that Cats, Tolouse, Toronto cough up a fairly chunky sum of cash to play in the CC).

I made the point that the final would be better at Cardiff, due to the stadium being better, the fact that it's about 16k less in terms of capacity & that there's much more around the stadium due to its location. The response I got was along the lines of: 'The Challenge Cup & Wembley have a great tradition.' Brilliant, that'll get the seats sold. The old Wembley maybe. Most people, including me, couldn't care less about the place. It's rubbish, been there twice with Saints, twice with England RL & numerous times with Utd. A half-baked response & then they came out with the gem of charging those non-heartland clubs to compete (one of the clubs who won it last season). It's farcical.

Not even trying to fill the ground that they've decided to play the showpiece event at for however long. Penalising the non-heartland clubs because they won't bring many if they get to a final. It's absurd & penalises success on the pitch in getting to a final. I can't get my head around why people don't see this for the absurd idea it is. It's ridiculous. A cop-out.

As they are the governing body, I would expect them to have a fair amount of clout. Mind you, Moran, McManus, Lenegan (pretty successful people from what I see) weren't happy with things & got a chief exec in for SL. Koukash expressed his frustration with the RFL & I think he's done alright as well. No help from the RFL to try to make Salford work though.

Day to day, I don't really know. They never communicate with the fans. They don't provide updates on anything. Never see any adverts for recruitment, notably marketing roles. I think there's a development coach's job going at the moment, that's it.

The game needs to generate some money. You generate money by having a good marketing strategy. The product on the pitch is there. They had an international at Anfield in November on a Sunday afternoon & sold 26k. It's embarrasing. people in Liverpool didn't even know the game was being played. why didn't they put an offer on for Liverpool season ticket holders, I would have had no problem with someone paying around £900.00 for a season of football & then getting a ticket for the England game for a tenner.

You can't just throw your hands up & say 'aw that's it.' I can't see the drive, desire & ambition to drag this game off it's backside by it's own governing body. They aren't doing enough.

When you throw into the mix the other horlicks' they've made...

Stadiums... Cas & Wakefield don't have a new stadium. Leeds' half done. Hull KR half done. Yet we all thought that was compoulsory.

Sally Bolton...did a brilliant job for the World Cup in 2013 (why didn't the RFL give her a permanent role)? She did more for the game in this country than the RFL have done for 20 years.

Challenge Cup: no sponsor.

The failed expansion clubs.

I could go on & on.

They are not up to it.
    Good post and good insights

Couple of points, marketing isn't simply a few posters, today's marketing is much much more than that and not easy to seek rugby to a football town
    Selling league with no money is a tough sell, it may be struggling to advance despite the RFL and not necessarily because of them, more analysis would be required to know exactly where the pinch points are. Simply saying nobody turned up isn't thorough enough.
    If everyone who is outraged at the RFL and poor attendance turned up to watch there would be good attendances. The irony of those blaming the RFL and not turning up is obvious, or should be, but much easier to give a lazy slur to the RFL, in my humble opinion.

Good post and good insights

Couple of points, marketing isn't simply a few posters, today's marketing is much much more than that and not easy to seek rugby to a football town
    Selling league with no money is a tough sell, it may be struggling to advance despite the RFL and not necessarily because of them, more analysis would be required to know exactly where the pinch points are. Simply saying nobody turned up isn't thorough enough.
    If everyone who is outraged at the RFL and poor attendance turned up to watch there would be good attendances. The irony of those blaming the RFL and not turning up is obvious, or should be, but much easier to give a lazy slur to the RFL, in my humble opinion.
    Yep see your points. Doing it properly is probably expensive & if there isn't the cash to do it then it's a problem.

But if we don't get a big sell, we don't get the bums on seats and then we are at square one.

But having said all that and as a previous poster alluded to; the tv money is the crucial one.

The current one was hardly a negotiating master class from Wood & we ended up playing on Thursday nights in half full grounds.

We keep saying we are a family sport but most of the game's are on when the kids are off to bed. So mum & dad possibly can't go either.

Then the media see the half full grounds & just laugh at us. Eddie Hearn said the game is on its knees & I can believe him

You're right though, there will be fans who hammer the RFL & don't make an attempt to go. I can honestly say I do. I care about the sport. I love it