Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interview with Eddie Hearn

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Agreed, viewing figures are potentially more important than attendances when considering future income

Didn't know payments were less than they were then, I wonder if the majority of the salary was on players, now there are a variety of staff
    It is if you factor in inflation ... the cap has stayed pretty much level (it's raised by £100k from 1.8m to 1.9m since 2001), but if it had been tied to inflation it would be up near £3m by now. So in real terms the game is investing far less in its players than it was two decades ago.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    It is if you factor in inflation ... the cap has stayed pretty much level (it's raised by £100k from 1.8m to 1.9m since 2001), but if it had been tied to inflation it would be up near £3m by now. So in real terms the game is investing far less in its players than it was two decades ago.
    Assuming teams spent the cap

Assuming teams spent the cap
    True, and we know that the smaller clubs didn't at first. But the bigger clubs were already at the limit when it was brought in (some beyond it).

Happened to have Pointless on this afternoon. One of the final round categories was the 2017 England RL World Cup squad. There were only four members of the squad who weren’t a pointless answer.

Happened to have Pointless on this afternoon. One of the final round categories was the 2017 England RL World Cup squad. There were only four members of the squad who weren’t a pointless answer.
    I don't watch the programme is that good or bad?

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldun View Post
    Essentially they interviewed 100 people, out of those 100 only 4 players were named.. 18 others nobody knew..

That said, I reckon if they asked me to name any of the previous England union, I'd probably struggle to name more than five

Quote Originally Posted by oldun View Post
    It means that 100 randomly selected members of the public tasked with naming as many members of the 2017 England RLWC Squad as possible were only able to come up with four names between them.

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Essentially they interviewed 100 people, out of those 100 only 4 players were named.. 18 others nobody knew..

That said, I reckon if they asked me to name any of the previous England union, I'd probably struggle to name more than five
    That's true for me as well. But that's 4-5 names from one person. We're talking here about 4 names from 100 people. That's pretty shocking and confirms everything Eddie Hearn has been saying.

Oddly enough, one of the names people came up with was Kevin Brown.

That's true for me as well. But that's 4-5 names from one person. We're talking here about 4 names from 100 people. That's pretty shocking and confirms everything Eddie Hearn has been saying.

Oddly enough, one of the names people came up with was Kevin Brown.
    I’m not sure the figure would be much different for Union. I’m struggling to think of any off the top of my head and I’m into sport

Default Interview with Eddie Hearn

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I’m not sure the figure would be much different for Union. I’m struggling to think of any off the top of my head and I’m into sport
    One of the other categories was England try-scorers in the last RUWC and the numbers were way higher. The two contestants were able to come up with two names themselves.

One of the other categories was England try-scorers in the last RUWC and the numbers were way higher. The two contestants were able to come up with two names themselves.
    Fair enough, surprised

Starting A Programme Collection

I am in favor of salary cap , hate the idea that Warrington , Leeds would
    become the next Man. City with rich owners just buying success . I really admire what Saints
    are doing bringing youngsters through eg. Jack Welsby . A reserve league should be a priority .

Got A Season Ticket

What went wrong? all Hot Air from The RFL, then they completely bottle it! they are afraid of Change!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    When you see the cap broken down like that it really becomes clear that something has to be done about it. But quite what that is I'm not sure. I think the cap has been quite a big part of Cas and Wakefield being competitive and we have to keep teams like that competitive.
    Agreed. We do not two or three clubs dominating the sport because it will end up with 75% of the games being completely one sided and in the end support would be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    Agreed. We do not two or three clubs dominating the sport because it will end up with 75% of the games being completely one sided and in the end support would be lost.
    Only 4 clubs have won the title in 20 odd years under the cap rules, so I’m not sure it isn’t being dominated already. It’s certainly not got fans flooding in to the likes of Wakefield, Salford and Widnes out of the excitement of giving the top teams a game here and there. We’re currently running at the pace of clubs who are barely worthy of top flight status in their set up, crowds etc and wonder why Union and NRL are light years ahead

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Only 4 clubs have won the title in 20 odd years under the cap rules, so I’m not sure it isn’t being dominated already. It’s certainly not got fans flooding in to the likes of Wakefield, Salford and Widnes out of the excitement of giving the top teams a game here and there. We’re currently running at the pace of clubs who are barely worthy of top flight status in their set up, crowds etc and wonder why Union and NRL are light years ahead
    Those sports have more money though

Anyway for me, we need to strike the right balance, will increased cap mean better players? Or more money for current players? Has the marquee player rule brought us better players?

Those sports have more money though

Anyway for me, we need to strike the right balance, will increased cap mean better players? Or more money for current players? Has the marquee player rule brought us better players?
    It probably would mean more money for current players but frankly it would be about time, since their earnings have been artificially eroded for nearly two decades. It would only be fair, and it might stop good players being so quick to leave the competition.

Regarding the marquee system, I think there has been a noticeable rise in quality of NRL signing over the last year or two. Leeds, Wire, Saints and Huddersfield have all signed players that I suspect wouldn’t have come over three or four years ago. And it may well be that there are British players who are only still in SL because of the marquee rule. It’s been a step in the right direction but isn’t sufficient on its own, IMO.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    I am in favor of salary cap , hate the idea that Warrington , Leeds would
    become the next Man. City with rich owners just buying success . I really admire what Saints
    are doing bringing youngsters through eg. Jack Welsby . A reserve league should be a priority .
    But, would you work for less money (in real terms) than people got for the same job 20 years ago? I don't totally disagree with a form of cap, but the current level doesn't allow us to compete with RU for players. I don't see an increased cap and reserves being mutually exclusive. I agree that reserves should be a priority, we lose far too much potential through the lack of reserves.

Learning All The Songs

It probably would mean more money for current players but frankly it would be about time, since their earnings have been artificially eroded for nearly two decades. It would only be fair, and it might stop good players being so quick to leave the competition.

Regarding the marquee system, I think there has been a noticeable rise in quality of NRL signing over the last year or two. Leeds, Wire, Saints and Huddersfield have all signed players that I suspect wouldn’t have come over three or four years ago. And it may well be that there are British players who are only still in SL because of the marquee rule. It’s been a step in the right direction but isn’t sufficient on its own, IMO.
    I’m in favour of removing the salary cap and give the Hearns permission to do what they think is needed. Only two teams saw crowds increase last year and very few people went to the CC final. We’re in a bit of a mess

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    What went wrong? all Hot Air from The RFL, then they completely bottle it! they are afraid of Change!
    Would you want to appoint someone that will show how inept you have been? We are in such a state right now and have gone through so many changes, I can't see why we would not give the Hearns a go, other than own job protection.

Upside
    Non Members

Agree to a certain extent. Marquee rule is good imo, and considering a rise in wages is justifiable to a degree. Couple of things to consider, does the sport have the money it did when the cap came in, have other jobs in society stagnated pay wise, were we paying too much then hence the cap in the first place etc. So for me there should be a cap but happy for it to be increased, but not limitless, look at what these fly by nights have done to Salford and Leigh, imagine what would have happened without a cap, they would be in a worse state.

We may want to think we can survive and grow with lots of money sloshing about but it simply isn't the case, we are way off that, if hearts or anyone else can increase our exposure and economy then that would be the time to make large scale changes to the cap