Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aussie Schools tour

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I only managed to see about ten minutes of the game whilst I was on the train from Manchester. How did Harry Smith and Ethan Havard play?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I only managed to see about ten minutes of the game whilst I was on the train from Manchester. How did Harry Smith and Ethan Havard play?
    Smith went well. I know that Morgan Smithies is very highly rated at Wigan. They’ve high hopes he’s going to be the next SOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

This raises serious questions: Our youth are better than the Aussies. Saints youth team regularly beat Aussie club youth in Australia. But when they turn adult, Aussies progress further and better, whilst ours don't develop as much. Why is that? Is it our system?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    This raises serious questions: Our youth are better than the Aussies. Saints youth team regularly beat Aussie club youth in Australia. But when they turn adult, Aussies progress further and better, whilst ours don't develop as much. Why is that? Is it our system?
    Better PEDs

Learning All The Songs

PEDs ?

Was thinking this today. Most likely explanation I think is the quality, depth and intensity of their league week to week

WARNING! PIE EATER!

PEDs ?
    Performance Enhancing Drugs

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Because the Aussie kids then play in the Toyota cup (think it is) which is a step up from Academy level and gets national exposure. So this enhances their progression on the way to first grade.

Our kids may get signed and, if they do, they either don't play or get sent on dual-reg to the back of beyond. So their progression is stunted and while the Aussies then have a conveyor belt of ready made talent we just get a few kids who overcome the obstacles our structure puts in front of them.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Got A Season Ticket

Smith wasnt as good as in the first half of the first test but he went ok. Havard wasnt anything special, did a job when he came on but just steady

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    16-6 up at half time. Welsby looks a real talent at full back
    Yes Welsby went well and Holroyd when he came on, he lifts the intensity in attack and defence. The England pack is strong but there wasnt much from the England backs except Welsby and Newman on a few occasions

Starting A Programme Collection

Was Welsby goalkicking?

Got A Season Ticket

To be honest, our youth is not better than the Aussies! This Australian School Boys squad is NOT the strongest squad that can come out of Australia. As the title of the squad suggests, these are the ones who are still in education. Yes they are signed to NRL clubs (all but one of the squad are contracted to clubs) but players who are on apprenticeships or with clubs full time etc are not released for the tour. The equivalent of Welsby and Simm from Saints who are on full time 1st team contracts and others from other Super League squads full time would not be included in this Aussie squad. The England squad obviously does include Super League contracted players. There are some VERY SPECIAL players back home in Oz who havent come on the tour.....

Also the Saints Academy tour squad are not playing the best teams available in Oz either....sorry to put a bit of a dampener on the test results and Saints tour results but thats how it is. Still a great test series and some good players on show and results for the England squad.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    Yes Welsby went well and Holroyd when he came on, he lifts the intensity in attack and defence. The England pack is strong but there wasnt much from the England backs except Welsby and Newman on a few occasions
    Holroyd for sure, him and smith the difference in my opinion

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Was Welsby goalkicking?
    No, Smith the scrum half from Wigan, he kicked well again. Welsby isnt really a goal kicker, was third choice in the Academy last year behind Hazard and Simm.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I saw a replay of the first test and the scrum half for England was outstanding. Seems to be a lot of ‘headless chickens’ playing in the halves at that sort of age group but he looked really composed and kicked brilliantly.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    Smith wasnt as good as in the first half of the first test but he went ok. Havard wasnt anything special, did a job when he came on but just steady
    I watched the game on Sunday morning, both tests are now available on you tube. I'm going to disagree on Havard, I thought he was the best forward on the field. He was on from the start until the 28th minute and came back on at minute 52 until the end. That's a very long spell for a (middle) prop forward, the most by any of the props from either team especially when you consider he was 1st year academy this year and has only just turned eighteen years of age.

With the reduced interchange rule an athletic forward like that could be invaluable.

Upside
    Non Members

I watched the game on Sunday morning, both tests are now available on you tube. I'm going to disagree on Havard, I thought he was the best forward on the field. He was on from the start until the 28th minute and came back on at minute 52 until the end. That's a very long spell for a (middle) prop forward, the most by any of the props from either team especially when you consider he was 1st year academy this year and has only just turned eighteen years of age.

With the reduced interchange rule an athletic forward like that could be invaluable.
    Holrord was the best forward by a distance. Good metres, winning collision and dominating in defence and on the floor

Got A Season Ticket

Can’t agree on Havard - but accept on Sunday morning you may still have been our-eyed after Saturday night

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Holrord was the best forward by a distance. Good metres, winning collision and dominating in defence and on the floor
    Agreed!! Holroyd was head and shoulders above Havard. Holroyd was also 1st year Academy last season as well as Smithies from Wigan (Siddall) who played 80mins in the 1st test and had another strong game in the 2nd test though he took a few knocks in the 2nd test.