Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Andy Farrell gets Ireland coach job

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Should we just brush under the carpet the decades of discrimination that Yawnion and their media allies inflicted on League and its players? What about the articles denigrating us? The snide comments and sniggers from pundits? And that's just in the UK; in France the Yawnion Nazi collaborators were implicit in the murder of League players & officials.

Without that discrimination, who knows how RL could have developed.

I'm not advocating some sort of conflict with Yawnion, but let's not airbrush our history and fawn over that sport and praise them on RL messageboards.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly on the history debate Webbo, I have had that discussion with Leinster fans numerous times, the simple fact is most did not know RU existed pre 1996 and Heineken Cup. They are only interested in the product on the pitch, which thanks to the RL influence is far superior than its amateur days. Maybe we should have brought them to the courts when they turned pro for all the years of discrimination beforehand, I dunno but`s too late now.
    I think our sport is a better game but we are becoming swamped and relegated to a side show.
    Time for a shake up at the top not a steady steering Captain, Gary Schofield CEO, Bobby Goulding PR and Gareth Raynor administration.

Learning All The Songs

It is interesting to see how Union has poached many RL ex players as defensive coaches - watching the way their game has developed with many players standing out of the ruck you can see the logic in that.

What will be more interesting will be to see what new drills, training methods, tactics etc Shaun Edwards brings back the other way on his return.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post
    It is interesting to see how Union has poached many RL ex players as defensive coaches - watching the way their game has developed with many players standing out of the ruck you can see the logic in that.

What will be more interesting will be to see what new drills, training methods, tactics etc Shaun Edwards brings back the other way on his return.
    It took over a decade for the Union defences to improve via our ex league players, its also took another decade for them to recruit the rugby league players in there prime. Its easier to defend in Union because of the 2 metre line gap at the ruck phase and having 2 extra players on the edge of the ruck.

Technically I can't see Edwards bringing too much skill to the Wigoon team, he will probably bring attitude, discipline and mental toughness to their game. It wouldn't surprise me to see Edwards with a lot of frustration on how the league game intensity has nose dived.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    It took over a decade for the Union defences to improve via our ex league players, its also took another decade for them to recruit the rugby league players in there prime. Its easier to defend in Union because of the 2 metre line gap at the ruck phase and having 2 extra players on the edge of the ruck.

Technically I can't see Edwards bringing too much skill to the Wigoon team, he will probably bring attitude, discipline and mental toughness to their game. It wouldn't surprise me to see Edwards with a lot of frustration on how the league game intensity has nose dived.
    Agreed I struggle to think of much he will add from Union.

It will be interesting to see what Wane brings to Scotland next year as well.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    I'm not bitter, I just think you're a bit of a smart arse know it all and I'm not sure why you're posting about an ex wigan player who's signed for the Irish RU unless you're fishing for a bite.
    I was posting that a former RL Capatain will get the job of head coach of the No1 ranked RU team in the world, I was amazed by his lack of Wigan dialect and disappointed that his RL background was not acknowledged. If that is being a smart arse and know it all in your eyes, so be it.
    Can you explain to me what hockey sticks and helmets have to do with the OP ?

Learning All The Songs

Of course we gave him stick when he was playing for Wigan but the one thing I admired about him was that if the team were struggling, he would always be the one to stand up and be counted and to take responsibility.

I wish him all the best as coach of Ireland, as it's not coincidental that his time there has seen them become the best team in the Northern Hemisphere. I just hope England can beat them in the 6 Nations and the World Cup.

Starting A Programme Collection Armourer's Avatar

Good for him I'm sure he will do a good job, means absolutely nothing to me as he left Rugby League many moons ago move on.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    He’s lost his accent and goes by Andrew now. He’s gone full knobhead.
    NO! NOT BARTH ??? Christ they even got Stevo talking posh when them RL v RU games were tried late 90's.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Imagine the amount of foil pie cases on the floors of both dressing rooms in the Ireland v Scotland games.

Imagine the amount of foil pie cases on the floors of both dressing rooms in the Ireland v Scotland games.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    I was posting that a former RL Capatain will get the job of head coach of the No1 ranked RU team in the world, I was amazed by his lack of Wigan dialect and disappointed that his RL background was not acknowledged. If that is being a smart arse and know it all in your eyes, so be it.
    Can you explain to me what hockey sticks and helmets have to do with the OP ?
    No 1 ranked RU team? Gone to NZ has he?

Got A Season Ticket

Should we just brush under the carpet the decades of discrimination that Yawnion and their media allies inflicted on League and its players? What about the articles denigrating us? The snide comments and sniggers from pundits? And that's just in the UK; in France the Yawnion Nazi collaborators were implicit in the murder of League players & officials.

I'm not advocating some sort of conflict with Yawnion, but let's not airbrush our history and fawn over that sport and praise them on RL messageboards.
    great post the union have a long history of rubbishing league i think they realized long ago league was the better version and set about a campaign to put it down at every chance they had ,not helped it as to be said by the people who have run rugby league badly for a long long time now

In The South Stand

Well said Webbo. Unfortunately the political elite of this country has drip fed the population a diet of fake news and cr*p for generations (hugely aided but not exclusively, by the dear old BBC), airbrushing as it went. Give 'em bread and circuses, worked for the Romans!