Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squad Numbers 2019

Banned

I have a suspicion we'll see Smith & Eaves cropping up on the bench. Smith showed some impressive play in the short time he was on before getting injured, whilst Eaves is well thought of and has looked good in the Championship. I think JH will be trying to figure out if one or both have what it takes to potentially step up into Roby's position eventually.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    If we take the starting 15 as:
    23. Lachlan Coote
    2. Tommy Makinson
    3. Kevin Naiqama
    4. Mark Percival
    5. Regan Grace
    1. Jonny Lomax
    7. Danny Richardson
    8. Alex Walmsley
    9. James Roby
    10. Luke Thompson
    11. Zeb Taia
    12. Joseph Paulo
    13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook

Then that leaves these 10 fighting for one of the 4 bench spots:
    6. Theo Fages
    14. Luke Douglas
    15. Morgan Knowles
    16. Kyle Amor
    17. Dominique Peyroux
    18. Adam Swift
    19. Matty Lees
    20. Jack Ashworth
    22. James Bentley
    25. Joe Batchelor

With the following playing bit parts as and when necessary
    21. Aaron Smith
    24. Matty Costello
    26. Liam Cooper
    27. Josh Eaves
    28. Callum Hazzard
    29. Jack Welsby
    30. Josh Simm

That's 10 "bench"players with either a wealth of experience or young and hungry. I can't see any other team in the league having this strength in depth.
    With the decrease in the numbers of interchanges, meaning more on-field time, I fully expect Justin Holbrook to utilise these 10 on a rotation basis more than he did last year
    Good post and I agree with most of it but I can’t see Paulo starting many games at 2nd row, he’ll be at 13. Holbrook has already spoken about him being the link between the forwards and backs in the middle. I think Peyroux and Taia will start at 2nd row with Paulo at 13. I think you’ve then get 7 realistically pushing for 4 bench spots when everyone is available:

Fages
    Douglas
    LMS
    Knowles
    Lees
    Ashworth
    Amor

Batchelor, Bentley next in line and Swift covering injuries in the backs.

Overall there’s great depth there.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    If we take the starting 15 as:
    23. Lachlan Coote
    2. Tommy Makinson
    3. Kevin Naiqama
    4. Mark Percival
    5. Regan Grace
    1. Jonny Lomax
    7. Danny Richardson
    8. Alex Walmsley
    9. James Roby
    10. Luke Thompson
    11. Zeb Taia
    12. Joseph Paulo
    13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook

Then that leaves these 10 fighting for one of the 4 bench spots:
    6. Theo Fages
    14. Luke Douglas
    15. Morgan Knowles
    16. Kyle Amor
    17. Dominique Peyroux
    18. Adam Swift
    19. Matty Lees
    20. Jack Ashworth
    22. James Bentley
    25. Joe Batchelor

With the following playing bit parts as and when necessary
    21. Aaron Smith
    24. Matty Costello
    26. Liam Cooper
    27. Josh Eaves
    28. Callum Hazzard
    29. Jack Welsby
    30. Josh Simm

That's 10 "bench"players with either a wealth of experience or young and hungry. I can't see any other team in the league having this strength in depth.
    With the decrease in the numbers of interchanges, meaning more on-field time, I fully expect Justin Holbrook to utilise these 10 on a rotation basis more than he did last year
    On this and other posts, I have commented on our strength and balance this year; but when I see it laid out the way you have done, it really reinforces my thoughts. At least in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post

I think Holbrook will change our attacking half back structure with Coote and Paulo offering a different skill set than Barba and Wilkin, hopefully we will be more organised on the last tackle.
    Agreed. There should be a lot of experience and leadership in the middle of the field with those two. I’m hoping we are a bit more composed in the big games and I think that’s part of the reason behind their signings. Richardson won’t have as much on his shoulders I wouldn’t have thought

Starting A Programme Collection

Well balanced squad for the coming season with strength in depth. My only concern is that we are one or two real star quality players away.

I think the key will be what Holbrook can bring out of the squad he's assembled to date. Big year for JH in terms of tactics, player/team management, keeping the squad fresh and competitive and having that mentality when it comes to big games and the business end of the season. He had a great first full season but just falling short... his second full season I think could be a defining one. Lets see what it brings.

How the coaching team get the best out of the players and team, some good fortune with injuries and which players can step up and bring leadership across the park are for me the making or breaking of our success this season

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Well balanced squad for the coming season with strength in depth. My only concern is that we are one or two real star quality players away.
    Indeed. I think it's pretty clear we've got a solid, well balanced squad with some real depth. Is it one that is likely to win a trophy? I think it's highly unlikely. It is of course always possible, we could get a dolly of a Cup run to the final and meet a Cas/Huddersfield/Hull KR type side, stranger things have happened. But do we have the quality to break teams down and win the big games? Given we couldn't do it this season with a genuinely world class player, I'd say it's highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Indeed. I think it's pretty clear we've got a solid, well balanced squad with some real depth. Is it one that is likely to win a trophy? I think it's highly unlikely. It is of course always possible, we could get a dolly of a Cup run to the final and meet a Cas/Huddersfield/Hull KR type side, stranger things have happened. But do we have the quality to break teams down and win the big games? Given we couldn't do it this season with a genuinely world class player, I'd say it's highly unlikely.
    Given that Barba did nothing in those big games we lost, are we really less equipped this time round? I’d actually say we are stronger and better equipped for the big games. Having Coote there with a much better kicking game than Richardson will make a big difference in the close games, as will the fact that he won’t be a turnstile at full back. The experience of Paulo will be very important to us and he’s played in and won several playoff games with Cronulla, the younger players such as Thompson, Grace, Richardson, Knowles,etc. will have another years experience and we will also have Walmsley back.

All in all I don’t see how we are any worse off than last year and I do believe we are rightfully favourites before a ball is kicked.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    All in all I don’t see how we are any worse off than last year and I do believe we are rightfully favourites before a ball is kicked.
    A lot depends on how good Coote turns out to be. There seem to be two camps, those who think he's terrible and will stink the place out and those who think he'll be better than Barba overall. How Big Al returns is also key, if he's the marauding monster he was before his break great, but we couldn't really blame him if he was a timid wallflower in comparison after suffering a broken neck. Warrington on the other hand ultimately finished ahead of us in both competitions and have improved dramatically. If they add either Drinkwater or Sammutt as rumoured, I think they should be favourites and possibly even if they don't. That's ignoring Wigan who are serial winners. We'll be up there, I just don't see us having the requirements to actually win the trophies. If I had to bet on our season, I'd say 2nd in the table and losing both semi finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    A lot depends on how good Coote turns out to be. There seem to be two camps, those who think he's terrible and will stink the place out and those who think he'll be better than Barba overall. How Big Al returns is also key, if he's the marauding monster he was before his break great, but we couldn't really blame him if he was a timid wallflower in comparison after suffering a broken neck. Warrington on the other hand ultimately finished ahead of us in both competitions and have improved dramatically. If they add either Drinkwater or Sammutt as rumoured, I think they should be favourites and possibly even if they don't. That's ignoring Wigan who are serial winners. We'll be up there, I just don't see us having the requirements to actually win the trophies. If I had to bet on our season, I'd say 2nd in the table and losing both semi finals.
    Not discounting Wigan, but Warrington are my biggest fear. Blake Austin has the ability to be 2019’s version of Barba.

Got A Season Ticket

Can't say I know much about coote only what I've read on here. I'm not sure whether he will add to our attack as he seems to be more a defensive fullback with a good kicking game?! He may make the team more balanced as opposed to us looking for Barba at every attacking play. I may have been tempted to stick Lomax to fullback and sign a high quality stand off to partner Richardson. I'm sure we will be up there again but Holbrock needs to find away to make the players believe they are good enough to win semi finals as it seems to be a mental problem. I believe Brown spoke about the players having a mental problem whilst he was here.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Given that Barba did nothing in those big games we lost, are we really less equipped this time round? I’d actually say we are stronger and better equipped for the big games. Having Coote there with a much better kicking game than Richardson will make a big difference in the close games, as will the fact that he won’t be a turnstile at full back. The experience of Paulo will be very important to us and he’s played in and won several playoff games with Cronulla, the younger players such as Thompson, Grace, Richardson, Knowles,etc. will have another years experience and we will also have Walmsley back.

Very much what I was thinking, for me Coote looks like a Wellens type of player who puts defence first, I can imagine when he joins the line we will see quality grubber kicks from him and our backs will be quick and smart enough to take the advantage.
    For me it’s how Holbrook gets Paulo operating with our half backs, if we get that right then our attack will be no less than last season but will be executed in a different way.
    We certainly don’t look weaker overall, don’t forget I think we won all our games without Barba last season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

2019 will be the most competitive season for quite some time IMO.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post

I think the key will be what Holbrook can bring out of the squad he's assembled to date. Big year for JH in terms of tactics, player/team management, keeping the squad fresh and competitive and having that mentality when it comes to big games and the business end of the season. He had a great first full season but just falling short... his second full season I think could be a defining one. Lets see what it brings.

How the coaching team get the best out of the players and team, some good fortune with injuries and which players can step up and bring leadership across the park are for me the making or breaking of our success this season
    I agree with most of your post, but when you look at our competition, I'm not sure we are a couple of stars short.

Learning All The Songs

I'm amazed the club didn't retire the No12 jersey off with Wilkin leaving after his amazing 16 years at the club. I bet he's fuming, i know i am, the club could name part of the stadium after him at least. The 'Jon he ran his blood too water Wilkin stand', would be well deserved.

Got A Season Ticket

I think Matty Lees will become a regular in the 17, he’s a real star of the future. That experience he got in PNG was amazing for him

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    Behave yourself, you're carrying on like he was the second coming.
    I think you may have missed the sarcasm in pramtowns post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Starting A Programme Collection

Good post and I agree with most of it but I can’t see Paulo starting many games at 2nd row, he’ll be at 13. Holbrook has already spoken about him being the link between the forwards and backs in the middle. I think Peyroux and Taia will start at 2nd row with Paulo at 13. I think you’ve then get 7 realistically pushing for 4 bench spots when everyone is available:

Fages
    Douglas
    LMS
    Knowles
    Lees
    Ashworth
    Amor

Batchelor, Bentley next in line and Swift covering injuries in the backs.

Overall there’s great depth there.
    Agree LMS coming off the bench and the starting pack you named

Got A Season Ticket

In (I think) League Express this week Holbrook is quoted as saying he's not sure whether to play Lomax or Coote at Full Back this season. I find that really strange despite the versatility of both.

As stated on the other thread the one thing that will be Holbrook's undoing is his apparent lack of firm decision making about what his best team is and how to adapt things when we are not going so well. Even though I am not a massive fan of JL at 6 to suggest we will start with Coote there is rather puzzling.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I'm amazed the club didn't retire the No12 jersey off with Wilkin leaving after his amazing 16 years at the club. I bet he's fuming, i know i am, the club could name part of the stadium after him at least. The 'Jon he ran his blood too water Wilkin stand', would be well deserved.
    Im amazed you've not emigrated to Canada so you can continue with your love in.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    In (I think) League Express this week Holbrook is quoted as saying he's not sure whether to play Lomax or Coote at Full Back this season. I find that really strange despite the versatility of both.

As stated on the other thread the one thing that will be Holbrook's undoing is his apparent lack of firm decision making about what his best team is and how to adapt things when we are not going so well. Even though I am not a massive fan of JL at 6 to suggest we will start with Coote there is rather puzzling.
    If that’s true then we would have been better signing a quality stand off and putting Lomax to fullback

The exact quote is “I haven’t locked it in yet, but Lachlan will be fantastic for us.”
    He then goes on to compare Coote and Barba which to me suggests Coote will replace him at full back.

Got A Season Ticket

The exact quote is “I haven’t locked it in yet, but Lachlan will be fantastic for us.”
    He then goes on to compare Coote and Barba which to me suggests Coote will replace him at full back.
    You're right and it does quote Coote as a 'direct replacement' for Barba but the sentence before the one in your post gives the context I was referring to:

'.....although Holbrook admits he is unsure yet whether Coote or Jonny Lomax will be pencilled in as the starting fullback.'

Seems he hasn't made his mind up.

Lomax is a better full back I think but Holbrook has consistently picked him at stand off when there have been other options available so he must like him there. In any case I can see Coote being more involved in the middle of the field than Barba was

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Coote has essentially played as a 6 for the Cowboys in attack all his career, he’s always played as a ball player down the left side of the field. Thurston in the middle and recently, Morgan on the right. I’d be fine with Lomax 1, Coote 6 or Coote 1, Lomax 6. I’d prefer the latter though.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    You're right and it does quote Coote as a 'direct replacement' for Barba but the sentence before the one in your post gives the context I was referring to:

'.....although Holbrook admits he is unsure yet whether Coote or Jonny Lomax will be pencilled in as the starting fullback.'

Seems he hasn't made his mind up.
    Yeah sorry I wasn’t challenging your post mate, just posting the actual quote for anyone who hadn’t seen it.