23. Lachlan Coote
    24. Matty Costello
    25. Joe Batchelor
    26. Liam Cooper
    27. Josh Eaves
    28. Callum Hazzard
    29. Jack Welsby
    30. Josh Simm

“Upgrades” for Grace, Richardson and Thompson.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Billinge, on the front line with the enemy.

Can't see Ryan Morgan in the list......

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stooby doo View Post
    Can't see Ryan Morgan in the list......
    Gone to London

In The South Stand

I read that he had gone on seasons long loan to London.

Squad numbers don’t give too much away.

I think Paulo will play 13, Coote 1 and Lomax 6.

I think Fages could drop down further in the pecking order given the strength in the pack. Fages has been interchange hooker but I feel Knowles will take that role when Roby needs a break, Paulo/LMS to take 13 with plenty options at prop.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    For those who are interested and/or read into these things:

1. Jonny Lomax
    2. Tommy Makinson
    3. Kevin Naiqama
    4. Mark Percival
    5. Regan Grace
    6. Theo Fages
    7. Danny Richardson
    8. Alex Walmsley
    9. James Roby
    10. Luke Thompson
    11. Zeb Taia
    12. Joseph Paulo
    13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook
    14. Luke Douglas
    15. Morgan Knowles
    16. Kyle Amor
    17. Dominique Peyroux
    18. Adam Swift
    19. Matty Lees
    20. Jack Ashworth
    21. Aaron Smith
    22. James Bentley
    23. Lachlan Coote
    24. Matty Costello
    25. Joe Batchelor
    26. Liam Cooper
    27. Josh Eaves
    28. Callum Hazzard
    29. Jack Welsby
    30. Josh Simm

Looks like there will be a lot of competition for places, especially in the forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Looks like there will be a lot of competition for places, especially in the forwards.
    There’s 14 or 15 forwards there who you’d have no problem giving a shirt to.

Learning All The Songs

Confirmation that Amor isn’t getting a game unless injuries strike, definitely looks like he’s rejected a move elsewhere.

Noooobie

It looks like a very strong squad and puts positive pressure on JH to deliver us at least a final appearance.
    I hope we won't see James Roby and Zeb flogged for 80 mins in meaningless games this year and the great
    work JH has done with Individuals can convert into a winning team performance when it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Confirmation that Amor isn’t getting a game unless injuries strike, definitely looks like he’s rejected a move elsewhere.
    I can’t see any confirmation that Amor won’t be getting game? If anything those numbers suggest he’ll be on the bench.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    I can’t see any confirmation that Amor won’t be getting game? If anything those numbers suggest he’ll be on the bench.
    No they don’t, he’s been moved from number 10 to 16 and I think he’s the only player to change number. Amor didn’t play in the semi final when Walmsley was out, now that he’s back his chances of playing decrease further. He’s been rubbish for most of the last two years and doesn’t deserve a place in the team.

Learning All The Songs

Double post.

No they don’t, he’s been moved from number 10 to 16 and I think he’s the only player to change number. Amor didn’t play in the semi final when Walmsley was out, now that he’s back his chances of playing decrease further. He’s been rubbish for most of the last two years and doesn’t deserve a place in the team.
    You said there was confirmation that he’s not going to get a game but I can’t see it? Has Holbrook come out and said he’s not going to get a match?
    Thompson was never not going to be 8/10 after the season he’s had, Amor was expected to drop down after falling down the pecking order

I would actually look at using Amor and any other squad player to give a forward a rest here and there, especially at the start of the season when Thompson could do with easing back in after the test series in my opinion. That’s before you even think about Walmsley’s reintroduction which will need to be measured and careful. That’s why we have a squad, and it’s a strong one. You have to go very deep into it before you get to novices
    Last edited by Sean Day; 21st November 2018 at 21:04.

Learning All The Songs

I would say the depth of forward cover must be the best in the league. Lets face it we where quite fortunate with injuries last year apart from Walmsley. Look how Hull folded without adequate cover. Very pleased with it.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

You said there was confirmation that he’s not going to get a game but I can’t see it? Has Holbrook come out and said he’s not going to get a match?
    Thompson was never not going to be 8/10 after the season he’s had, Amor was expected to drop down after falling down the pecking order
    No doubt. A pecking order only exists for so long. If he trains hard and takes his opportunity’s when he gets them, he’ll stay in the team. If he doesn’t, he won’t. Every prop in our squad last year played their fair share of games, it’s a long season.

I have no major issues with the squad. I think we’re better suited to winning tight games this year. We’ve obviously lost a maverick in Barba but brought in a dominant player in Coote. Holbrook has mentioned his long kicking in every interview he’s had so far and looking at the big games we played in last year, our last plays were a real issue for us and I didn’t think we constructed our sets well enough in those games. I’m hoping we’ll be a lot more efficient coming out of our own half this year with Coote in the side and Naquima’s signing counters Barba leaving in terms of that strike in attack.

Big season for Richardson this one. He’s got a ball playing 13 inside him in Paulo, a long kicking option in Coote, Roby and Lomax are international class players, there’s stike out-wide with Naquima, Percival etc. It’s a paradise situation for a running scrum half.

Obviously Walmsley returning is massive as well, that can’t be understimated either.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    For those who are interested and/or read into these things:

1. Jonny Lomax
    2. Tommy Makinson
    3. Kevin Naiqama
    4. Mark Percival
    5. Regan Grace
    6. Theo Fages
    7. Danny Richardson
    8. Alex Walmsley
    9. James Roby
    10. Luke Thompson
    11. Zeb Taia
    12. Joseph Paulo
    14. Luke Douglas
    15. Morgan Knowles
    16. Kyle Amor
    17. Dominique Peyroux
    18. Adam Swift
    19. Matty Lees
    20. Jack Ashworth
    21. Aaron Smith
    22. James Bentley
    23. Lachlan Coote
    24. Matty Costello
    25. Joe Batchelor
    26. Liam Cooper
    27. Josh Eaves
    28. Callum Hazzard
    29. Jack Welsby
    30. Josh Simm

I think its a much better balanced squad. While Barba was truly world class it meant we focussed too much of our attack around him, so when injury / loss of form happened the whole team struggled to adjust. That put even more pressure on our only other strike player in Percival and his form also started to suffer.
    Coote wont provide the same threat but he's got a good rugby brain and knows how to link up well with the attack. Him having a decent long kicking game will also help massively and take the pressure off Richardson as the only last tackle option.
    For me though having a 2nd strike centre in Naiquama is the biggest plus. It gives our halves options on both sides instead of just down the left.

My only concern though is still the front row. Only Thompson really stepped up last year when Walmsley was ruled out and I still think we're vulnerable if either Walmsley or Thompson pick up a long term injury. I would have liked us to have added to the squad with another big, agressive front rower.

I'm hoping Bentley & Batchelor get plenty of game time this year, rotating with Taia and Peyroux so everyone stays relatively fresh come the end of season big games, Saw enough of Bently at the end of last season to suggest he will be a good player for us with a few more games under his belt. Batchelor looks like he has all the skills to step up to SL but its always a risk with Championship players. Sants dont often get it wrong though when picking up these lads from the lower leagues.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Fairly happy with our pack for next season, all our forwards stepped up last season for the loss of Walmsley. Holbrook saw Matty Lees as the more promising by at times picking him over Amor.
    Thompson and LMS stepped up the most and we saw Douglas putting in some big performances during the Super 8’s.

I think Holbrook will change our attacking half back structure with Coote and Paulo offering a different skill set than Barba and Wilkin, hopefully we will be more organised on the last tackle.

Ok I guess no one knows how the new recruits will fair until they cross the white line next season, but I feel in a lot of ways our squad will offer more than last season. I do think we will offer more across the whole park and not be somewhat fixated like last year on everything going through one player (B Barba). We might not see the BB type scoring, which became our Achilles heal as teams knew late on the season how to shut BB down. I see us (I hope) using both flanks not just one. I also think if Al W can get mentally right about rugby again our pack will shine especially with the reduced interchanges. We have Tommo, Lees and Jack who can all do big minutes. We can use our interchanges better to spell Roby (for Fages) knowing our pack are good enough to stay on, especially when the season gets dryer. We might not apear on as many highlight reels as we did last year, but will be a more complete team. #This was written assuming we stay reasonably injury free#.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Starting A Programme Collection RedSaint's Avatar

I think Swift and Grace have swapped too

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    IMy only concern though is still the front row. Only Thompson really stepped up last year when Walmsley was ruled out and I still think we're vulnerable if either Walmsley or Thompson pick up a long term injury. I would have liked us to have added to the squad with another big, agressive front rower.
    I'd say both LMS and Douglas both stepped up their games, with even Amor showing improvement in the weeks following (before largely falling back into ineffectiveness again).

I don't think we do *need* a big, aggressive front rower, given what we have. I think Douglas does a canny role in the team, and with Amor's long-term form issues we do lack another 'old head' to do similar. The point's previously been made that we have too many props of the same style - the crash'n'bash of Walmsley, Thompson, LMS, Lees. Ashworth seems more a ball-handling sort, although another potentially big, robust unit.

I think with Douglas presumably going after this season, Amor too (if he doesn't leave before) and possibly LMS, we could do with rolling a good proportion of that money up into recruiting a top quality experienced and clever prop (another in the Fairlegh or Britt mould would be ideal).

But first we need to tie Thompson down to a long term deal. He's fulfilling all that promise, and hopefully Lees & Ashworth will follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'd say both LMS and Douglas both stepped up their games, with even Amor showing improvement in the weeks following (before largely falling back into ineffectiveness again).

I don't think we do *need* a big, aggressive front rower, given what we have. I think Douglas does a canny role in the team, and with Amor's long-term form issues we do lack another 'old head' to do similar. The point's previously been made that we have too many props of the same style - the crash'n'bash of Walmsley, Thompson, LMS, Lees. Ashworth seems more a ball-handling sort, although another potentially big, robust unit.

I think with Douglas presumably going after this season, Amor too (if he doesn't leave before) and possibly LMS, we could do with rolling a good proportion of that money up into recruiting a top quality experienced and clever prop (another in the Fairlegh or Britt mould would be ideal).

But first we need to tie Thompson down to a long term deal. He's fulfilling all that promise, and hopefully Lees & Ashworth will follow suit.
    I think the reduction in interchanges will suit us. In Walmsley we have one bruising front rower who will do short-ish stints, but pretty much all of the others are capable of doing big minutes. It should suit Douglas, especially.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I think the reduction in interchanges will suit us. In Walmsley we have one bruising front rower who will do short-ish stints, but pretty much all of the others are capable of doing big minutes. It should suit Douglas, especially.
    If the RL are going to reduce the amount of time wasting and with the reduced interchanges most teams might need to adjust to a more athletic pack. Warrington, Castleford and Saints are more or less already there it will be interesting to see how it effects, Hull, Catalan, Huddersfield and Wakefield.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I think those changes, along with us having what looks like a more balanced attack will suit us down to the ground. I wonder if Pauli Pauli will still be rubbing his belly when he has to do more minutes.

Got A Season Ticket

If we take the starting 15 as:
    23. Lachlan Coote
    2. Tommy Makinson
    3. Kevin Naiqama
    4. Mark Percival
    5. Regan Grace
    1. Jonny Lomax
    7. Danny Richardson
    8. Alex Walmsley
    9. James Roby
    10. Luke Thompson
    11. Zeb Taia
    12. Joseph Paulo

Then that leaves these 10 fighting for one of the 4 bench spots:
    6. Theo Fages
    14. Luke Douglas
    15. Morgan Knowles
    16. Kyle Amor
    17. Dominique Peyroux
    18. Adam Swift
    19. Matty Lees
    20. Jack Ashworth
    22. James Bentley
    25. Joe Batchelor

With the following playing bit parts as and when necessary
    21. Aaron Smith
    24. Matty Costello
    26. Liam Cooper
    27. Josh Eaves
    28. Callum Hazzard
    29. Jack Welsby
    30. Josh Simm

That's 10 "bench"players with either a wealth of experience or young and hungry. I can't see any other team in the league having this strength in depth.
    With the decrease in the numbers of interchanges, meaning more on-field time, I fully expect Justin Holbrook to utilise these 10 on a rotation basis more than he did last year