Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2019 Rule Changes

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Another possible change in the future. Not sure I can get my head round this one.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/29/...NetworkContent
    Don't think I would be so keen on that one, 20 metres is not a great kicking distance as far as skill. I also would have thought we need less scrums not more of them which increases the time the ball is out of play and players get more rest periods.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Don't think I would be so keen on that one, 20 metres is not a great kicking distance as far as skill. I also would have thought we need less scrums not more of them which increases the time the ball is out of play and players get more rest periods.
    Surely the ball would have to travel a minimum of 50 metres. 20 metres from your own line to 40 metres from your opponents line?

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Surely the ball would have to travel a minimum of 50 metres. 20 metres from your own line to 40 metres from your opponents line?
    40 metres.........30 to half way plus 10 to the other 40.

Exactly the same distance as a 40/20.

They did teach Maths in Wigan?
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Yes, we are both wrong its 40 metres, still don't fancy all the extra scrums it might create, might look as though we playing something similar to Union.

I must admit, I like the 40/20 despite not thinking I would do, but I can't see much benefit to introducing a 20/40. One thing it would definitely do is add another layer of complication for the casual viewer. And where would it stop? Why 20/40 and 40/20 but not 10/50, 30/30, and so on?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I don't like the idea of a 20/40. For me it may just promote more kicking to avoid a defensive position and gain an attacking position. With the 40/20 at least if you kick you are already close to the halfway, and maybe not as likely to kick. We all used to call union for the amount of kicking, now we may be introducing a rule that promotes it more in league.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 29th November 2018 at 19:49.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Apparently they're going back to steeden balls which by all accounts are better handling than the rhinos

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I don't like the idea of a 20/40. For me it may just promote more kicking to avoid a defensive position and gain an attacking position. With the 40/20 at least if you kick you are already close to the halfway, and maybe not as likely to kick. We all used to call union for the amount of kicking, now we may be introducing a rule that promotes it more in league.
    Agree with this. If a team is stuck in their own 20 they are just going to have a pot shot at it with nothing to lose really and that’s not fair to the team who’s pinned them there
    Last edited by Sean Day; 29th November 2018 at 20:12.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Agree with this. If a team is stuck in their own 20 they are just going to have a pot shot at it with nothing to lose really and that’s not fair to the team who’s pinned them there
    I agree with that. It would penalise good defence. We don't need to introduce more kicking into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Yes, we are both wrong its 40 metres, still don't fancy all the extra scrums it might create, might look as though we playing something similar to Union.
    My thoughts exactly very similar to union

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    I agree with that. It would penalise good defence. We don't need to introduce more kicking into the game.
    You could argue that it's attack not defence. It's your attack that gets you down close to the opponents line

I like the idea of the wingers having to drop back opening up the game, the threat of the kick is all that it needs

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    They have to run back to get back n line anyway so it can be a disadvantage. There's no more in tackle now than before I don't believe, we used to call gang tackle as a tactic, the problem now is the amount who hold up, hear held, go down, peel off. Teams only want three men in a tackle, two up top, last one round legs, the one on legs runs back, two other control the ruck
    I was less than clear. I meant in line down the length of the pitch directly behind the ruck, not in the defensive line across the width of the pitch, as now.