Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Rule Changes

Got A Season Ticket

Agree with scraping the free play wait to see what happens at drop outs shot clock should be a good idea tho , I just think constantly changing the rules and how the play offs and relegation is decided dosnt show the sport in the best light

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

They said on 5 live that if teams are level after 80 mins there will be two halves of 5mins.Then if the scores are still level each team will get 1 pt each.I presume it is sudden death but if no team scores a point they get a point each.

Quote Originally Posted by saint mac View Post
    They said on 5 live that if teams are level after 80 mins there will be two halves of 5mins.Then if the scores are still level each team will get 1 pt each.I presume it is sudden death but if no team scores a point they get a point each.
    Is that not called a draw!
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs

I would have liked to see something done about all the 'play acting' and faking injury that goes on.
    If a physio/trainer comes onto the pitch to give treatment to an 'injured' player, they should have to go off the field like they do in football before coming back on.
    If they are genuinely injured, then they should be going off anyway with a sub coming on. Not sure how easy that would be to implement but it would stop players going down faking injury if they knew they would have to go off the field, therefor disadvantaging their team for the next couple of tackles before being allowed back on.

Would like to see the meat of these rules. Let’s take the drop out being 30 secs. When does that start? What happens if a player slides in the in goal area gathers the ball to call it dead then chucks into the home fans who hold on to the ball? Also the attacking team might also want to slow the play down as well. Ball boys/ girls get instruction to give balls over slowly. (Trust me this will become the norm whe we get used to it). The ref can’t start the clock if a player does not have a ball.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    That’s what I thought when I heard it.If you had to score a try to win in extra time that may be better.If no team gets a try then it’s a draw.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    As with others, I feel that the other rules are fair game - lets see how they get implemented, which is the key aspect for me.

As for the golden point - i think it should be reserved for knockout games. One point each for a draw seems a fair result for a tied game after 80 minutes - you get the excitement of the scramble to secure a win when points are level approaching 80 mins, or if a team who is behind to secure a draw or win... having an extra 10 mins and/or golden point doesn't add anything extra in my view.

Lets see. Feels a bit gimmicky and maybe to another posters point - too much following the NRL. Talking of which - they seem to have followed us with the magic weekend (which divides opinion here). I wonder if the NRL will like it as a concept and if so make out like it's their own idea? ; )

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

What about 1 point each for a draw but golden point for an extra point?
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaygee View Post

Are the RL just trying to a reach common ground with the NRL for the sake of the International set up.
    I'm not sure but if they are I don't have a problem with it.
    It's farcical that there are NRL rules, UK rules and International rules.
    Every competition should play by the same rules, simple as that. The international Board should be taking the lead and insisting on this but the NRL is all-too powerful and will do what they like.

In The South Stand

I am thinking maybe in winter lets face it that's when summer rugby starts now we are going to be freezing our cods off for longer if we have to wait for 25 drop goal attempts also if a player is injured and it wont hurt him more help him off and let the game carry on and as regards copying the Aussies they only want to have there own game so let them . Now as regards all the changes to rules how about making the Refs enforce the rules we have for a change guess what the game would speed up.

Learning All The Songs

Two professional Leagues in the world and we play to different rules, couldn't run a •••• up in a brewery

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

It'll be interesting to see how the golden point play out with televised games. With stoppages for video ref calls, now potentially this, we could be looking at over 2 hours from kick off to match end, how will this fit into sky's scheduling? Most post match now is on the red button so the program is wrapped up as quick as possible, could we really end up with the farcical situation of the end of the match being on the red button? Or will they pull the KO forward for 19:30?

Golden point is a good thing for one reason. Gambling!

If you have ever done an accumulator on SuperLeague you are a fool. Lets say you did an acca on every one for every game in a round for the 23 opening rounds in 2018. 4 weeks you would lose automatically due to draws, in 2017 it was 6 weeks out of 23.

Given that this is how a lot of people are now gambling on sport Rugby League is losing out to other sports in this market. We just lost Ladbrokes as a key sponsor, hopefully golden point will make our sport more desirable to gamble on.

However the impact to the end product is minimal. We have had one draw in 3 years for example.

The shot clock is just a good way of stopping matches last 2 1/2 hours which is causing issues for fans and broadcasters.

And the reduction of interchange prevents obese props doing small minutes, giving smaller skilled players a chance.

3/3 good changes, in my books.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I'm pretty sure all selections will be subject to the 80 minutes. Match result doesn't include extra-time when it comes to Football. Oh, I'm sure there'll be markets for "eventual winner", but imagine, it'll be an excuse to give even crappier odds.

Learning All The Songs

Phil Clarke mentioned a good rule to bring in would be when a team forms a scrum to stop the clock then those players should be made to stay in the scrum until the ball is played.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    We couldn't have three points handed out at some games and two at others though
    Surely it would still be 2? One for the draw and one for winning the GP?

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    All games at present have 2 points available; 2 for a win, 0 for a loss or 1 each for a draw.

If we were to move to for what was suggested, which would make it 3 points; 1 each for a draw and 1 additional for winning the golden point.

If this was ever the case I'd suggest to move to:
    3 points for an over all win
    2 points for a GP win
    1 point for a draw (but losing GP)
    0 for a loss.

Or we could stop changing the rules and leave it as it is! Remember the suggestion years ago about bonus points for winning a half?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Will be interesting to see what time the Sky games finish next season.

Could we see the odd game with the golden point taking us over the viewing time slot.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I don't mind the Golden point, it very rare to have a draw anyway, but I would give one point for the beaten team in that extra time and two for the winners.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post

Two teams draw so that's a point each, plus GP makes it three

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    All games at present have 2 points available; 2 for a win, 0 for a loss or 1 each for a draw.

If we were to move to for what was suggested, which would make it 3 points; 1 each for a draw and 1 additional for winning the golden point.

If this was ever the case I'd suggest to move to:
    3 points for an over all win
    2 points for a GP win
    1 point for a draw (but losing GP)
    0 for a loss.

Or we could stop changing the rules and leave it as it is! Remember the suggestion years ago about bonus points for winning a half?
    That seems to make more sense

Noooobie

1). Players feigning injury - if player goes down injured for more than 30 seconds they should be replaced as part of interchange.
    2) . Time limit on drop outs and setting scrums.
    3). time taken and how many "Views"at the video ref .
    First 2 would stop a hell of a lot of cheating which Huddersfield last year have mastered to perfection , video ref is an absolute joke .

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    That seems to make more sense
    What if it's a draw at the end of Golden Point extra time? two points each, or one point each?

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    What if it's a draw at the end of Golden Point extra time? two points each, or one point each?
    I think we would need the square root of the combined score multiplied by the number of interchanges and divided by the amount of drop outs.

Seems the fairest way to me

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post

If you have ever done an accumulator on SuperLeague you are a fool. Lets say you did an acca on every one for every game in a round for the 23 opening rounds in 2018. 4 weeks you would lose automatically due to draws, in 2017 it was 6 weeks out of 23.

Given that this is how a lot of people are now gambling on sport Rugby League is losing out to other sports in this market. We just lost Ladbrokes as a key sponsor, hopefully golden point will make our sport more desirable to gamble on.

However the impact to the end product is minimal. We have had one draw in 3 years for example.

The shot clock is just a good way of stopping matches last 2 1/2 hours which is causing issues for fans and broadcasters.
    I’m not sure I follow this. There are draws every week in the Premier League but this doesn’t seem to discourage people from placing accumulator bets. Unless I’m missing something?