Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Rule Changes

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Default 2019 Rule Changes

According to todays League weekly

Golden point extra time to be brought in.
    Scrapping of the free play rule.
    Shot clock for scrums and dropouts.
    Interchange reduced from ten to eight.

Got A Season Ticket Jack Reacher's Avatar

Golden point should only be used in cup tie/knockout matches IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Reacher View Post
    Golden point should only be used in cup tie/knockout matches IMO
    Agree really but the game needs a spark. For me it should be a golden try as it just becomes a scrappy drop goal fest with whoever wins the toss getting a major advantage

Got A Replica Shirt

Totally agree, the current rule tantamounts to the toss of a coin.

Take a leaf out of the NFL rule book.

First team to score a try (touchdown) wins.

If a teams goes ahead in overtime, whenever, by a ‘field goal’, the other team has ‘one set of downs only (translates to a set of six) to reply.

If they ‘equalise’, it becomes sudden death.

Learning All The Songs

If the match is a draw at 80 minutes it should be 1 point each

I think in all sports there has to be times where you have to accept both teams deserve something out of the game and a draw is a fair result (cliches, sorry). Exceptions being knock out games. I really don't understand why this is constantly raised. Its unnecessary, especially with the amount of draws that actually happen.

The rest of the changes are spot on though. The free play is a nightmare. I'd also scrap 40/20s personally.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I think in all sports there has to be times where you have to accept both teams deserve something out of the game and a draw is a fair result (cliches, sorry). Exceptions being knock out games. I really don't understand why this is constantly raised. Its unnecessary, especially with the amount of draws that actually happen.

The rest of the changes are spot on though. The free play is a nightmare. I'd also scrap 40/20s personally.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    X2. Though I don't mind the 40/20s

Pleased with all of that apart from the golden point. Every now and then a draw is the right result.

The shot clock is a good idea in principle, but I doubt that it will solve the problems of time-wasting. If a player goes down with a 'head injury' at a drop out the ref will still be obliged to stop the clock (and, no doubt, the shot-clock) while the player is looked at by the physio. In fact I can see it leading to even more fakery than we have at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Pleased with all of that apart from the golden point. Every now and then a draw is the right result.

The shot clock is a good idea in principle, but I doubt that it will solve the problems of time-wasting. If a player goes down with a 'head injury' at a drop out the ref will still be obliged to stop the clock (and, no doubt, the shot-clock) while the player is looked at by the physio. In fact I can see it leading to even more fakery than we have at the moment.
    Was only thinking this earlier. Personally I’d just play on. If a man is down near the try line then the ball is going to be 40-50 yards away as soon as it’s kicked. If it comes nearby then stop it, but I’m not sure any player would want to risk his team playing a man down for 2 or 3 tackles

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

I'm not a fan of golden point but it's not likely to crop up much.

How many draws were there in Super League last season

Does anyone think the reduction in interchanges may have played a part in Amor staying? There may become more of a need for his and Douglas’s style of play somewhere in the 17

Agree with the free play going. In theory it was worth a try but in practice how many tries resulted from it? Players didn’t seem to know what to do and used it poorly in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Was only thinking this earlier. Personally I’d just play on. If a man is down near the try line then the ball is going to be 40-50 yards away as soon as it’s kicked. If it comes nearby then stop it, but I’m not sure any player would want to risk his team playing a man down for 2 or 3 tackles
    Morally speaking I'm absolutely with you, but unfortunately with the increasing prospect of litigation in contact sports I just don't see this being able to happen again. For exactly the reason you state, it would be seen as incentivising genuinely injured players getting up and back into the play.

In The South Stand

Crikey, with all these rule changes the game's starting to remind me of Rollerball! How about we carry on until only one man's left standing? Seriously though, I'm all for the changes bar the "golden point". As others have expressed, sometimes both teams deserve a point. To be honest if we can get the officials to keep the game moving and to ignore (as in not stopping the game) injuries that are well away from the play, that would be beneficial. Too may stops for "injuries" that are way down field and which can be treated by medics without halting the game. I know player welfare is important but if physios etc can come on to the pitch and deal with it without interfering with the game, why not play on? That wouldn't affect a player being treated (if identified as serious the game can be stopped) and may just stop many of the "injuries" from being milked.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    If the match is a draw at 80 minutes it should be 1 point each
    This.

Games go on long enough as it is and I'm sure most people want to get home afterwards!...And what happens if the game is on TV?

Starting A Programme Collection

Load of crap the Golden Point issue. Draw should stand if that’s how it is after 80 minutes. They’d be better putting some effort into sorting out the play the ball and lying on.

Upside
    Non Members

3 rule changes I'm fully behind

I don't like the golden point but it's in so will get behind it, it may give us some exciting finishes

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

I'd get the golden point issue if it's to insist there is a result on the day. However, if it's still level after ten minutes, then they call it a draw. Well, here's the deal. Why not skip the ten minutes of constant drop goal attempts, and just call it a draw anyway, or am I over-simplifying things?
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Got A Replica Shirt

Having posted previously in this thread about the Golden Point issue, I don’t agree with it, for me a draw is a draw, I don’t think Rugby League teams play for a draw.

Drawn matches for the last 3 seasons;
    2016 = 3 games, 2017= 6 games, 2018 = 4 games

For me the Shot Clock is a must, witnessing what went on at restarts, especially last season.

As for the other rule changes, we’re just following the Aussies, again.
    They’ve had the Golden Point for years.
    They’ve never had the free play rule.
    They’ve had the shot clock for a couple of seasons now.
    I’m not sure about the number of subs.

Are the RL just trying to a reach common ground with the NRL for the sake of the International set up.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by kaygee View Post
    Having posted previously in this thread about the Golden Point issue, I don’t agree with it, for me a draw is a draw, I don’t think Rugby League teams play for a draw.

Drawn matches for the last 3 seasons;
    2016 = 3 games, 2017= 6 games, 2018 = 4 games

For me the Shot Clock is a must, witnessing what went on at restarts, especially last season.

As for the other rule changes, we’re just following the Aussies, again.
    They’ve had the Golden Point for years.
    They’ve never had the free play rule.
    They’ve had the shot clock for a couple of seasons now.
    I’m not sure about the number of subs.

Are the RL just trying to a reach common ground with the NRL for the sake of the International set up.
    Not really, the shot clock is needed, the reduction in interchanges is to stop the big lads playing for ten minutes and the free play has been a farce

Got A Season Ticket

How about a “shot clock” on the video referee to stop the ridiculous amount of time taken making straight forward decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I'm not a fan of golden point but it's not likely to crop up much.

How many draws were there in Super League last season
    Four draws last season.

I have never been a fan of the "Free Play". Usually ends up with a kick and chase.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post
    Four draws last season.
    Which shows the rule change will have minimal impact. It's the only rule I'm not sure about but I think some people are over reacting on social media about it.

Overall I quite like the rule changes. In previous years rule changes have just felt like a reason to change the rules whereas these changes appear to be beneficial and will speed the game up.

I still think they need to address a few things though and they are:

1). Players feigning injury - if player goes down injured for more than 30 seconds they should be replaced as part of interchange.

2). Try and No Try video referee decisions. Hate this rule.

3). Referees constantly referring to video ref and length of time it takes for video ref to resolve. Not sure on best way to resolve but this process needs to be slicker to allow game to flow more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I would support a Golden Point more if both teams were guaranteed a point each after 80 minutes, with a Golden Point winning a team an extra point.

Drawing a Rugby League game after 80 minutes should bring about a reward, and the GP period should not be about taking the two points but rather a bonus point after the one already taken for getting a draw.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I would support a Golden Point more if both teams were guaranteed a point each after 80 minutes, with a Golden Point winning a team an extra point.

Drawing a Rugby League game after 80 minutes should bring about a reward, and the GP period should not be about taking the two points but rather a bonus point after the one already taken for getting a draw.
    We couldn't have three points handed out at some games and two at others though

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    According to todays League weekly

Golden point extra time to be brought in.
    Scrapping of the free play rule.
    Shot clock for scrums and dropouts.
    Interchange reduced from ten to eight.
    Golden point extra time to be brought in. - Stupid idea, one of the worst things in the NRL. You just get 5 drives up the middle and then a series of pathetic drop kick attempts until one goes over. If they want to get rid of draw's then make it first try wins not first point. This would also get rid of the likelihood of game being decided on dubious refs decision on a penalty.

Scrapping of the free play rule. - Stupid idea. Even most NRL commentators like the free play rule we have.

clock for scrums and dropouts. - long overdue, one of the best rules in the NRL, stops the fake injuries and deliberate time wasting

Interchange reduced from ten to eight - No issue with this change