Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anfield gets the Aka.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    They do, the problem is , it's an older generation of people. They remember it on grand stand. The younger population are not so up to date I give you that.

It should have been better promoted. There is nothing in the city for it. Which is shocking.

What doesn't help is that it has had 2 Kick Off changes.

I put the last two reason for a half empty stadium down to the RFL.

Speculate to Accumulate

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    I see. Well the people I talk to are slightly older than me and up to 10 years younger (I'm 32) so yeah, my view could be distorted from what I've heard.

And yes, amazing the RFL didn't think about Everton being at home on the Saturday when the 2 grounds are practically next to each other & same streets and main roads affected by match traffic, hence only one game allowed at once.

I've seen 2 posters. One at Central & one at Moorfields station about the game. Think the one at Central is practically under the overhang of the escalator so you can't see it anyway.

On a side note I only found out that you can get from Moorfields to Lime St today! I've been going via Central!!!

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I see. Well the people I talk to are slightly older than me and up to 10 years younger (I'm 32) so yeah, my view could be distorted from what I've heard.

And yes, amazing the RFL didn't think about Everton being at home on the Saturday when the 2 grounds are practically next to each other & same streets and main roads affected by match traffic, hence only one game allowed at once.

I've seen 2 posters. One at Central & one at Moorfields station about the game. Think the one at Central is practically under the overhang of the escalator so you can't see it anyway.

On a side note I only found out that you can get from Moorfields to Lime St today! I've been going via Central!!!
    We were in Liverpool to see the giant puppets and came in via Central Station. The game was being advertised on all the ticket barriers there.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    We were in Liverpool to see the giant puppets and came in via Central Station. The game was being advertised on all the ticket barriers there.
    I don't use the train lines in Liverpool. But even so, a few posters around the train stations isn't enough.

Think Liverpool has been hoodwinked out of a good weekend to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    I don't use the train lines in Liverpool. But even so, a few posters around the train stations isn't enough.

Think Liverpool has been hoodwinked out of a good weekend to be honest

When does it become enough? I don't live in the NW so can't comment on what else may or may not have been done to promote these tests to non-rl fans.
    But...We all know about them. Why aren't we all going? Saints, Wire and Wigan must have 35K regulars between them. Widnes Leigh and Salford, maybe another 10-15K all within an hour.
    I was in Hull last week with 17.6K. There must be at least 20K regular fans of the two Hull clubs. Throw in Leeds a short train ride away and you have to wonder why KC stadium wasn't sold out.
    I actually feel sorry for the RFL at times!

When does it become enough? I don't live in the NW so can't comment on what else may or may not have been done to promote these tests to non-rl fans.
    But...We all know about them. Why aren't we all going? Saints, Wire and Wigan must have 35K regulars between them. Widnes Leigh and Salford, maybe another 10-15K all within an hour.
    I was in Hull last week with 17.6K. There must be at least 20K regular fans of the two Hull clubs. Throw in Leeds a short train ride away and you have to wonder why KC stadium wasn't sold out.
    I agree that more RL fans should be turning out for the game. As you say, 5 teams at a maximum 60 min drive away from anfield should be bringing in bigger crowds.

But there seems to be a massive disconnection between fans and the England team.

Club comes before country.
    Lack of big victories/trophies
    Lack of international time table.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Great post.
    I've spoken to a few people Wigan and Saints fans and the majority aren't going. I despair at times about the apathy for the game in general.
    I don't believe it's the pricing either, I paid over £240 for my wife, daughter and grand-daughter to see Matilda in Manchester last week.
    The Eagles are playing Manchester and Liverpool next year, prices range from £70 - £200 per ticket and it'll sell out.

Tickets on Sunday start from £20, we've paid £35 for the adult ones and £17.50 for the concessions (We prefer to sit on the side) THey are a bargain when you compare them to other "events"

The NFL sold out Wembley, cheapest adult tickets were £41!!
    Last edited by Rogues Gallery; 1st November 2018 at 11:02.

We just have to admit it. It’s a dying game which fewer and fewer people want to watch - times have changed.

I get the impression some RL fans would be delighted if the game died.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    It's frustrating to see the game being torn about from the inside.
    I'm no Liverpool fan but I'll be there on Sunday supporting England, the players no matter who they play for, the game, regardless of some fans negativity, can't be ar$ed attitude, excuses that the place is a dump, the trains may be on strike etc etc etc.

We'll be in the Arkle from 12 noon, come over and say hello, have a beer, we won't bite.

Rant over, for now!!!

Anfield might be getting magic next year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Be nothing left to moan their heads off at, though

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Be nothing left to moan their heads off at, though
    They'd be moaning there was nothing to moan about mate.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    They'd be moaning there was nothing to moan about mate.
    eggsakley

Learning All The Songs

Thoughts now?

26000 not sure how that compares to Aus / NZ in the 4 nations last year but seemed pretty good

Good atmosphere. Well organised.

IMO judging on shirts plenty of Saints Wigan and Wire supporters around and quite a few Leeds.

No marketing locally that I saw and a negative for me would be that didnt seem to have attracted that many first timers or locals.

Liverpool for me is a good venue to push. It is similar to Newcastle and a Saturday game followed by a night in town would attract a lot. Maybe Anfield is too big - perhaps a more compact Goodison would generate a better atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post
    Thoughts now?

26000 not sure how that compares to Aus / NZ in the 4 nations last year but seemed pretty good

IMO judging on shirts plenty of Saints Wigan and Wire supporters around and quite a few Leeds.

No marketing locally that I saw and a negative for me would be that didnt seem to have attracted that many first timers or locals.

Liverpool for me is a good venue to push. It is similar to Newcastle and a Saturday game followed by a night in town would attract a lot. Maybe Anfield is too big - perhaps a more compact Goodison would generate a better atmosphere
    26K is poor IMO, but I really don't know what we/RFL need to do to increase this!
    The atmosphere was quiet to begin with, but got a little better as time went by. Nothing special though.
    Sorry if this sound negative. I did enjoy the day as did my mates (Saints, Leeds, Hull... and Bramley! Yes, really)
    Last edited by KentishBarry; 4th November 2018 at 21:48. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post
    Thoughts now?

Saw plenty posters etc on my train route into Liverpool. Trouble is that it’s such a hard sell to the people of Liverpool. If they put a thousand posters up for synchronised swimming in St Helens would many of us feel inspired to go? You have to think outside the box a bit, sell it as an event - put good food and drink on, local musicians etc. Get it around the student population in the city, give them a couple of free beers with their ticket etc etc. Putting a picture of player x on a poster and asking people to come to a rugby match is going to have no impact when they have no idea who he is or any interest in the sport.

As for the day, really enjoyed the game. Grew in atmosphere as it went on. Trouble is there is no lead up to these internationals to whip up the interest. Sky don’t televise it so aren’t interested in even mentioning it and they are our only significant media outlet. Therefore it takes a game or two for people to warm to it again. Slowly we have to build the England brand up. Get the merchandise into the club shops, get players faces in programmes, rugby papers etc, people will always go for their club first but why can’t England be their second team? Lastly a proper organised calendar, we have England, Australia, NZ and Tonga now who are top class, PNG, Samoa, Fiji not a million miles behind.
    Last edited by Sean Day; 4th November 2018 at 22:45.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    Lets be honest the RFL aren't good at promoting things, especially to new audiences. I think the only way to get those who aren't rugby league followers through the Anfield gates on Sunday would be if a few of Liverpool's star players tweeted/posted on instagram about it. I saw NZ were at their training ground yesterday and met a few of the players, maybe putting on a short training session for them to watch could impress a few and they could put something about the game on social media maybe? I bet half that squad haven't even seen rugby league before!
    If the RFL can not promote an English international game at Liverpools Anfield, with a Scouser as Captain, playing in red & white, with the NZ Haka, they must be bone idle lazy and have $T for brains, they could at the very least have given tickets to Liverpool/Everton members as well as to children in the local schools, (it would have cost them very little)

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Saw plenty posters etc on my train route into Liverpool. Trouble is that it’s such a hard sell to the people of Liverpool. If they put a thousand posters up for synchronised swimming in St Helens would many of us feel inspired to go? You have to think outside the box a bit, sell it as an event - put good food and drink on, local musicians etc. Get it around the student population in the city, give them a couple of free beers with their ticket etc etc. Putting a picture of player x on a poster and asking people to come to a rugby match is going to have no impact when they have no idea who he is or any interest in the sport.

As for the day, really enjoyed the game. Grew in atmosphere as it went on. Trouble is there is no lead up to these internationals to whip up the interest. Sky don’t televise it so aren’t interested in even mentioning it and they are our only significant media outlet. Therefore it takes a game or two for people to warm to it again. Slowly we have to build the England brand up. Get the merchandise into the club shops, get players faces in programmes, rugby papers etc, people will always go for their club first but why can’t England be their second team? Lastly a proper organised calendar, we have England, Australia, NZ and Tonga now who are top class, PNG, Samoa, Fiji not a million miles behind.
    THIS !!!!!!, Player X, ????, Jammer by any chance,

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Parrer View Post
    If the RFL can not promote an English international game at Liverpools Anfield, with a Scouser as Captain, playing in red & white, with the NZ Haka, they must be bone idle lazy and have $T for brains, they could at the very least have given tickets to Liverpool/Everton members as well as to children in the local schools, (it would have cost them very little)
    I think the size of the crowd says less about the RFL’s promotional abilities and reflects more the lethargy of rugby league fans in general. There cannot be many followers of the game that were not aware of the international fixtures/venues several months ago and yet fewer bothered to turn up than the number that watch Wigan, Saints and Warrington from week to week. Unfortunately, international rugby league suffers because of the parochialism/tribalism of many of the game’s followers who would rather moan about their perception of poor performance by a player from a rival club than celebrate a team victory against top international opposition.

Learning All The Songs

I have two young lads and Friday nights are still a bit late for them

The novelty of a Sunday afternoon international match on the doorstep was great and surprised that there were not more youngsters there

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I think the size of the crowd says less about the RFL’s promotional abilities and reflects more the lethargy of rugby league fans in general. There cannot be many followers of the game that were not aware of the international fixtures/venues several months ago and yet fewer bothered to turn up than the number that watch Wigan, Saints and Warrington from week to week. Unfortunately, international rugby league suffers because of the parochialism/tribalism of many of the game’s followers who would rather moan about their perception of poor performance by a player from a rival club than celebrate a team victory against top international opposition.

I agree, how many people complain the RFL have failed to promote the game when they haven't gone themselves

I think we need to stop talking our own game down there's persistent complaints, we will self destruct if we continue.

Back your club, your country and the game itself and things should get better