Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anfield gets the Aka.

In The South Stand

In The South Stand

Was quite funny reading whoever does RedVee’s Twitter bleating on about the International game days after saying they didn’t care for it at all.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Was quite funny reading whoever does RedVee’s Twitter bleating on about the International game days after saying they didn’t care for it at all.
    To be fair he is highlighting the incompetence of the promotion of the game in the area by the RFL.

I think he has a point

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    To be fair he is highlighting the incompetence of the promotion of the game in the area by the RFL.

I think he has a point

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    He does but I work in Liverpool Buddy. They aren't remotely interested in it. Most of them who I speak to don't know that there's actually two different codes of rugby. Football is the only sport that matters there

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    He does but I work in Liverpool Buddy. They aren't remotely interested in it. Most of them who I speak to don't know that there's actually two different codes of rugby. Football is the only sport that matters there
    Which begs the question how do you promote it and how much would it cost

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I don't think there's any point. It's a waste of time

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    No, the real question is why play the game in a half full stadium in a city where no one gives a toss. Surely Bolton or Wigan would be better, or even Saints because at least that would sell out.
    Because we need to increase the exposure to market the game, catch 22

Continue to play safe taking it to Wigan would get a decent crowd but not bring the sport to new viewers.

I'm not sure the best way to go but we cannot have it both ways, complain when we don't spread the game and complain when we do

Learning All The Songs

Lets be honest the RFL aren't good at promoting things, especially to new audiences. I think the only way to get those who aren't rugby league followers through the Anfield gates on Sunday would be if a few of Liverpool's star players tweeted/posted on instagram about it. I saw NZ were at their training ground yesterday and met a few of the players, maybe putting on a short training session for them to watch could impress a few and they could put something about the game on social media maybe? I bet half that squad haven't even seen rugby league before!

Learning All The Songs

No, the real question is why play the game in a half full stadium in a city where no one gives a toss. Surely Bolton or Wigan would be better, or even Saints because at least that would sell out.
    I have to agree here; wouldn't it be much better to play in a smaller, pretty much full RL stadium rather than a half/three quarter empty football stadium? See also, the Denver test.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

As someone who lives 15 mins walk from Anfield. Grew up in Liverpool and family are liverpool fans, I love the fact we are playing another International RL game at Anfield. Went to the 4 nation's final with NZ and Aus and enjoyed my day out. I take my family with me as well. In the kop end paying a pittance compares to some of the prices I hear getting thrown about for football matches.

Could there be more exposure? Yes of course. But am I worried about how the full stadium at the start of November when it's possibly raining? Nah not really.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    Lets be honest the RFL aren't good at promoting things, especially to new audiences. I think the only way to get those who aren't rugby league followers through the Anfield gates on Sunday would be if a few of Liverpool's star players tweeted/posted on instagram about it. I saw NZ were at their training ground yesterday and met a few of the players, maybe putting on a short training session for them to watch could impress a few and they could put something about the game on social media maybe? I bet half that squad haven't even seen rugby league before!
    Another simple thing would be to have the teams visit local schools, kids would be hugely impressed, can you imagine how a haka would go down. And then have some kind of offer kid free with adult or something. You have to generate interest by showing what is on offer.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Isn't the ground capacity over 54k and its most likely it will be only half full with rugby fans, the RFL should have offered 10000 complimentary tickets to Liverpool Season Ticket Holders and maybe Everton ones as well. Rugby Union get good international crowds with complementaries so when it comes to big football stadiums it makes sense to fill that crowd capacity the best way you can so that it looks goods and it might generate a good atmosphere from mixed sport fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Isn't the ground capacity over 54k and its most likely it will be only half full with rugby fans, the RFL should have offered 10000 complimentary tickets to Liverpool Season Ticket Holders and maybe Everton ones as well. Rugby Union get good international crowds with complementaries so when it comes to big football stadiums it makes sense to fill that crowd capacity the best way you can so that it looks goods and it might generate a good atmosphere from mixed sport fan base.
    I understand the reason you say this, but why should I pay for a ticket for the game and others get it for nothing? If you want more to attend reduce the ticket price across the board, not just for those who most likely will never return to a rugby game if they have to pay. I saw a study that was done about free tickets and increased attendances. It was found overall it had no long ter,m impact on making crowds bigger. It worked by getting PR out there and a bit of a feel good factor in the short term but the following season showed no marked improvement. It said that the way to increase attendances was a successful team, a sense of excitement and a feeling of inclusion in the club itself.
    When Huddersfield did the free (or heavily reduced) tickets it caused an issue with STH’s and rightly so IMO.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I understand the reason you say this, but why should I pay for a ticket for the game and others get it for nothing? If you want more to attend reduce the ticket price across the board, not just for those who most likely will never return to a rugby game if they have to pay. I saw a study that was done about free tickets and increased attendances. It was found overall it had no long ter,m impact on making crowds bigger. It worked by getting PR out there and a bit of a feel good factor in the short term but the following season showed no marked improvement. It said that the way to increase attendances was a successful team, a sense of excitement and a feeling of inclusion in the club itself.
    When Huddersfield did the free (or heavily reduced) tickets it caused an issue with STH’s and rightly so IMO.
    I just think there needs to be a big effort from the RFL to get bums on seats for the International Game, thats the shop window to attract sponsors and investors. For me I don't mind paying £40 to watch a game whilst a Merseyside Season Ticket Holder who pays up to £900 a season ticket to get a freebie game in another sport.

From memory way back in 2012 I think the ARL did similar and threw a lot of money subsidy into the Aussie Rules Game to attract new supporters, crowds went up by over 60%, they get huge attendances now compared to the NRL.

I suppose its swings and roundabouts do the RFL spend lots of money promoting the game what it is not very good at or subsidise the one big event towards a very large city catchment fan base.

Got A Season Ticket

We were down 5,000 on the last International three years ago in Hull last Saturday, our promotional activity of the sport and our game is abysmal, but what do we really expect from someone who is RFL CEO and worked many years under Woods? we needed new blood like Super League have done, Rimmer keeps saying we are still talking with the Hearn's, the problem as I see it Ralph wants to hold on to his power! and just wants to give the Hearn's bits of pieces, but can you blame them if they want to do a complete job! if they take on small parts they don't want to be blamed if it all goes wrong.

17,600 last weekend was a disgrace, and ticket offers were there, now they are doing it for Anfield so are they getting desperate again, pity help is if it is not at least 25,000 plus in such a big stadium!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

That's the point we need to have sell out crowds and a great atmosphere to attract attention.
    Learned comment from The Don

If they did that people would moan that they weren’t showing ambition (and it has been a major criticism in the past).

I just think it's full stop a bad idea.

Even Liverpool season ticket holders don't even know that the game is being played there this Sunday.

I doubt they'd even go if there was a free ticket, they just aren't interested.

If you put darts on in St Helens, I wouldn't go because I'm not bothered about it.

What they should have done is made it a tenner for adults, a fiver for kids & senior citizens across 3 tests. Played one in Yorkshire, one in Lancashire & one down in London (the first test) as there are a lot of Kiwis living down there.

The world cup semi final against New Zealand (2013) had about 50k to 60k there (I think). Just a pity Wembley is 90k. The atmosphere was tremendous, the game was tremendous with a dramatic ending & the ticket prices certainly weren't as cheap as a fiver or a tenner.

What about Arsenal's ground? Bet loads haven't been there & it's fairly easy to get to. I'd certainly enjoy a trip there to watch International rugby league. Only a few stops up from Euston

In The South Stand

Because we need to increase the exposure to market the game, catch 22

Continue to play safe taking it to Wigan would get a decent crowd but not bring the sport to new viewers.

I'm not sure the best way to go but we cannot have it both ways, complain when we don't spread the game and complain when we do
    Trouble is there is no marketing of the game to give it any exposure! If you're not going to promote the product, it doesn't matter where you sell it, if no one knows about it. If you're not going to promote it to a new audience, then may as well swell the games coffers playing it at Saints. The RFL are falling between two stools, not marketing to enable the sport to reach its potential or playing the matches in the heartlands at stadia that would benefit the sport with the injection of cash created.

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Trouble is there is no marketing of the game to give it any exposure! If you're not going to promote the product, it doesn't matter where you sell it, if no one knows about it. If you're not going to promote it to a new audience, then may as well swell the games coffers playing it at Saints. The RFL are falling between two stools, not marketing to enable the sport to reach its potential or playing the matches in the heartlands at stadia that would benefit the sport with the injection of cash created.
    Thing is the first game was played at a rugby league ground , as such.
    It wouldn't be bringing much money into the game if it was played at Saints.

The promoting of this game has been dire. We are going directly up against the Autumn Internationals which the casual fan (this is who the game needs to be directed at) know are happening. Why, because they happen every year. Every November England Union play 2 or 3 test matches.

England RL don't, it's need to start. Hopefully this will be just that. There's a load of schools by Anfield and Goodison where the RFL could have went in and promoted the game. Had players gone into the schools and done coaching afternoons.

Liverpool may not have a rugby league team, but they do have an idea of it . Promote it and they will come.

Banned

I just think it's full stop a bad idea.

What they should have done is made it a tenner for adults, a fiver for kids & senior citizens across 3 tests. Played one in Yorkshire, one in Lancashire & one down in London (the first test) as there are a lot of Kiwis living down there.
    Why not go the whole hog and let everyone in for free?
    Yet again Rugby League something for nothing culture surfaces but hardly surprising for a sport that has blown its credibility in virtually every way over recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Why not go the whole hog and let everyone in for free?
    Yet again Rugby League something for nothing culture surfaces but hardly surprising for a sport that has blown its credibility in virtually every way over recent years.
    Fair point but would it not be an idea to try to fill a stadium? If they enjoy it they might come back.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Thing is the first game was played at a rugby league ground , as such.
    It wouldn't be bringing much money into the game if it was played at Saints.

The promoting of this game has been dire. We are going directly up against the Autumn Internationals which the casual fan (this is who the game needs to be directed at) know are happening. Why, because they happen every year. Every November England Union play 2 or 3 test matches.

England RL don't, it's need to start. Hopefully this will be just that. There's a load of schools by Anfield and Goodison where the RFL could have went in and promoted the game. Had players gone into the schools and done coaching afternoons.

Liverpool may not have a rugby league team, but they do have an idea of it . Promote it and they will come.

They don't bar the odd person. They seriously don't have a clue. They have no interest, no idea and no care about the game

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    We were down 5,000 on the last International three years ago in Hull last Saturday, our promotional activity of the sport and our game is abysmal, but what do we really expect from someone who is RFL CEO and worked many years under Woods? we needed new blood like Super League have done, Rimmer keeps saying we are still talking with the Hearn's, the problem as I see it Ralph wants to hold on to his power! and just wants to give the Hearn's bits of pieces, but can you blame them if they want to do a complete job! if they take on small parts they don't want to be blamed if it all goes wrong.

17,600 last weekend was a disgrace, and ticket offers were there, now they are doing it for Anfield so are they getting desperate again, pity help is if it is not at least 25,000 plus in such a big stadium!
    Let's be honest only the RFL could achieve that decrease after such a positive world cup. Ralph Rimmers seeming lack of concern over that is massively worrying. Further proves he was the wrong man for the job

They don't bar the odd person. They seriously don't have a clue. They have no interest, no idea and no care about the game
    They do, the problem is , it's an older generation of people. They remember it on grand stand. The younger population are not so up to date I give you that.

It should have been better promoted. There is nothing in the city for it. Which is shocking.

What doesn't help is that it has had 2 Kick Off changes.

I put the last two reason for a half empty stadium down to the RFL.

Speculate to Accumulate