Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Morgan being offered round

Quote Originally Posted by Tallahassee View Post
    If Saints are trying to free up space on the wage cap does that mean we are looking to bring someone else in?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Possibly looking more long term to boost the contracts of some of the younger players?

Learning All The Songs

For me I think Morgan has done ok. The big concern is the concussion issues he has suffered. Let us hope he has a season clear of this. Obviously if there are salary cap issues then why has Peyroux been retained. We have far better cover in the backrow than at centre.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Peyroux has been retained because he had an excellent season and earned a two year deal.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    For me I think Morgan has done ok. The big concern is the concussion issues he has suffered. Let us hope he has a season clear of this. Obviously if there are salary cap issues then why has Peyroux been retained. We have far better cover in the backrow than at centre.
    At a push Peyroux could play centre in an injury crisis, I would think the Holbrook managed Peyroux at centre would be better than the drab KC version.

In The South Stand

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doghead View Post
    Being replaced by Frawley from the Bulldogs.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Peyroux has been retained because he had an excellent season and earned a two year deal.
    For me when he came I would rate him a 3 out of 10. Yes improvement but I would rate him a 6 out of 10. Regarding play him centre, well he just has not got the skill required. A good cover tackler with no go forward against the better teams.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

For me when he came I would rate him a 3 out of 10. Yes improvement but I would rate him a 6 out of 10. Regarding play him centre, well he just has not got the skill required. A good cover tackler with no go forward against the better teams.
    Ah but at that rate of improvement he could be a 9 out of 10 next season

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I think I would rate him slightly higher than that since he moved into the pack he is a handful to the opposition and has very good pace on a line break. His weakness was being exposed to the one on one tackles in the centre position and under the Cunningham Game Plan was useless in his effort and execution.

However from the Good Friday derby game he seemed to have had a brain transplant and is a completely different player, he will have the odd quiet game like everyone else but Holbrook is seeing him as an important cog in the team machine.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 29th October 2018 at 11:20.

Peyroux has improved massively. As Holbrook said, we missed him when he was injured - he runs strong, direct lines which challenge defenders and free up space for players around him. He leaves his mark in defence, too. He does have his weaknesses; he occasionally drops off a tackle, and he has a tendency to panic when he breaks the line, but he has improved out of sight in both of those respects this season. He's well worth his new contract.

Shifting Morgan on makes good sense to me. He's done a decent job here but there's no point having two pricey overseas players in one position. Naiqama should bring us some strike on the right, which is something we've lacked for a good while.

Learning All The Songs

London Broncos in for Morgan

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    Maybe a daft question but how do we save cap space by paying up their contracts? Surely all that means is they get all their future money now instead of over the course of the next year or however long they've got left?

Thought it would more likely be a case of new team just takes over their contracts, or player agrees to go to new team for less money to guarantee game time.

As has been said, both players are well within their rights to stick around at Saints, even if it just means doing the rubdowns and bringing the kicking tee on.
    We won't pay their full contract value - we will no doubt pay the difference between what the new club is offering and the current salary. So (for example), Morgan is on £60k a year at Saints - London are willing to pay him £30k, so Saints pay him the missing £30k. Saints save £30k off the salary cap, gain an overseas quote spot back, Morgan doesn't lose out on any money and he gets to play every week in SL.

I can see why they are trying to move him on, at best he will be the 3rd or 4th choice centre. Swift was getting picked ahead of him earlier in the season when both were fit, and Costello was doing a decent job in the centres towards the back end of the season, so he is likely to be spending his time in the reserves or on dual registration.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016