Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More entertaining ?

Learning All The Songs

Change all the rules back to what they were 20 years ago

Watch a game from that era and its like watching a different sport !

If we cant do that

- go back to 2 subs or reduce the number of interchanges. Get the forwards tired more quickly and the gaps will come

- 5 points for a try

- bonus points for extra tries.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post

If we cant do that

- go back to 2 subs or reduce the number of interchanges. Get the forwards tired more quickly and the gaps will come

- 5 points for a try

5m defence?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    5m defence?
    That's longer ago than 20 years......unfortunately!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post

If we cant do that

- 5 points for a try

Spot on mate, the game is dull at the moment with 5 drives and a kick

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post

Crikey, I feel old

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    5m defence?
    Wigan already play that rule don't they?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I'm not sure two refs would really help, we don't have enough.

1) Clean up the play the ball, ensure that the player is on his feet and plays the ball with his foot. It's worked well in Aus

2) 30 secs max for scrums and dropouts

3) Reduce the interchanges to six (I'd have six substitutions from an eight man bench, with no interchange, once you're off no return)

4) Touchjudges to mark the 10 metres, just communicate to the ref if a team is offside.

5) Stop the moving off the mark at the p.t.b. Either penalize or make them go back to the mark as they do in Aus.
    I think this is about right. The reduction in interchanges would be a big thing, I think; making fatigue amongst forwards a bigger part of the game again would tip the balance a little bit in favour of the smaller, more skillful players. I would add a proper enforcement of the 'flop' rule, which has basically gone out of existence over the last three or four years, with players being allowed to simply drop onto an already completed tackle with no aim other than to slow down the play the ball.

I think a lot of the more radical suggestions being made on here would introduce more problems than they would solve. Something that you have to account for is how much better defences are now than they were twenty years ago. Getting rid of dummy runners or reintroducing the 5m defensive line would lead to tryless games decided by penalties, IMO. Restricting teams to one marker would make space around the PTB, but it would also mean one extra player in the defensive line, so I think you'd just end up seeing teams concentrating all their traffic at the ruck area, even if runs from dummy half were verboten.

I think we have to bear in mind, too, that what is entertaining is subjective. I've seen a lot of people grumbling about Saturday's test being boring, but I thought it was compelling.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Scumpelstiltskin View Post
    Wigan already play that rule don't they?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    That along with headshots, lying on, third man flops in the tackle, running in at every incident, knees in at the tackle and chirruping in the ear of the officials all game, The rest of the league seem to play to a different set of rules, where they all get penalised for these practices.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

1) Clean up the play the ball, ensure that the player is on his feet and plays the ball with his foot. It's worked well in Aus

3) Reduce the interchanges to six (I'd have six substitutions from an eight man bench, with no interchange, once you're off no return)

4) Touchjudges to mark the 10 metres, just communicate to the ref if a team is offside.

5) Stop the moving off the mark at the p.t.b. Either penalize or make them go back to the mark as they do in Aus.

Spot on with most of those Rogues. The interesting thing is that 1 and 5 are not changes, they are just enforcing the rules. This is my biggest bugbear, that rules are not enforced consistently. A player may simply roll the ball through his legs and not get penalised, then when another player does it and it's a penalty. I really don't think we need many changes, just a good standard of consistent refereeing.

I'd take a look at penalties being given for tacklers being in the way at the PTB. If the player decides to take a quick play the ball the defender has no chance to get out of the way and for me it should just be play on.

In The South Stand

Once again Rogues Gallery is right and I agree with Headtackle but I don't think the rules have really been changed all that much its just that they have been ignored.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

5m went out in 1993.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    5m went out in 1993.
    I'm not sure I wanted to know that

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I'm not sure I wanted to know that

I posted this link earlier in the thread #33 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_rugby_league
    Scroll down to history of rule changes. It's no wonder I sometimes get confused watching the game!

Got A Replica Shirt Fatty Vautin's Avatar

Of all the reasons why the game is as it is now I think the move to 10m was the biggest factor. That along with increased subs and a willingness to turn a blind eye to indiscretions at the ruck have produced a much more stereotyped and predictable game.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Vautin View Post
    Of all the reasons why the game is as it is now I think the move to 10m was the biggest factor. That along with increased subs and a willingness to turn a blind eye to indiscretions at the ruck have produced a much more stereotyped and predictable game.
    But people want a 'fast' game, therefore more space and faster PTB

I'm not sure people sometimes know what they are asking for

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Another reason why the game is at is is now is the standard and awareness of referees, the game was getting a bit too quick for them to make the correct decisions. Referees became more tolerant of the slowing down at the ruck because it gave them extra seconds to set the 10 metre defensive line the previous 5 metres was no problem, also the extra 20 seconds forming a scrum was a breather for the referee as well as some of them were finding it difficult to keep up with play.

It all points to 2 refs on the pitch that cuts down the amount of decision making and errors, but the problem there is not enough investment in officials and Superleague is reffed by a very shallow pool of officials.

Got A Season Ticket

I agree! but would also want to add;

6) Stop players flopping on the tackled player, mainly to slow the game down and injure.

7) Player marking after a tackle not to use the player to stand after tackle to slow the game down

We should have a number 8) as well two referees, sadly we do not have enough good referees as it is for Super League.

Most of the problems are down to coaching, look at the time when most clubs employed wrestling coaches to slow the play the ball down, it is down to Coaches, every coach sends out his players with instructions to slow the opposition down when they are in possession, coaches introduced the last player in the tackle to flop to slow the game down! at the start of the season every rule broken Has to be Penalised! yes it will mean a few weeks of ugly rugby, but then coaches may get the message and the game should be better and improve to NRL standard.

Cut the number of markers from two to one and you can clear the ruck a lot more. I would make the ball carrier play the ball with his foot so in order that it doesn't just become a case a quick ptb allowing dummy halves to run at retreating players to win a penalty.

Default More entertaining ?

Cut the number of markers from two to one and you can clear the ruck a lot more. I would make the ball carrier play the ball with his foot so in order that it doesn't just become a case a quick ptb allowing dummy halves to run at retreating players to win a penalty.
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, though, this would have all sorts of unintended consequences. Firstly, it would mean an extra defender in the line, which would would make it more difficult to break down defences on the edges. Secondly, as there’s only one marker, and as the line would be stronger, you’d probably just find hookers stepping out of dummy half so the marker has to follow him and then dropping off an inside ball to a forward for an easy 10m. The play would all end up being concentrated around the ruck, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, though, this would have all sorts of unintended consequences. Firstly, it would mean an extra defender in the line, which would would make it more difficult to break down defences on the edges. Secondly, as there’s only one marker, and as the line would be stronger, you’d probably just find hookers stepping out of dummy half so the marker has to follow him and then dropping off an inside ball to a forward for an easy 10m. The play would all end up being concentrated around the ruck, IMO.
    I guess any tinkering with the rules at the PTB has unintended consequences and pros and cons. I do think that having two markers allows more leeway for teams to get plenty into the tackle and peel off more slowly or lie on the ground impeding the ball carrier from getting a clean play the ball. If you had to be back in the line there’d be less of that.

IMO the PTB has got a little like the contested scrum did (showing my age here) where there is so much messing about and so much you could penalise that it becomes a lottery and a nightmare to referee consistently. Perhaps it’s time for more radical solutions? Or if the rules are to be enforced properly then it’s time to seize the bull by the horns and do it despite the whinging that would inevitably occur once refs started blowing up every 5 mins.

I guess any tinkering with the rules at the PTB has unintended consequences and pros and cons. I do think that having two markers allows more leeway for teams to get plenty into the tackle and peel off more slowly or lie on the ground impeding the ball carrier from getting a clean play the ball. If you had to be back in the line there’d be less of that.

IMO the PTB has got a little like the contested scrum did (showing my age here) where there is so much messing about and so much you could penalise that it becomes a lottery and a nightmare to referee consistently. Perhaps it’s time for more radical solutions? Or if the rules are to be enforced properly then it’s time to seize the bull by the horns and do it despite the whinging that would inevitably occur once refs started blowing up every 5 mins.
    Yeah, I think the latter is the best bet. People will whinge whatever happens.

I think cracking down on the flop would alone make a difference, as would reducing slightly the extra time that tends to be given for a dominant tackle.

Learning All The Songs

I would go along with many of these suggestions around TPTB. The ref should call held early. As soon as the call no more players can join the tackle, the player is released cannot pass and must stay on the spot and play the ball with his foot. All the suggestions around TPTB are decent just looking for something easy for the ref to manage. They struggle as it is.