Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: 19 for England

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    Milner and Greenwood aren't young players
    Not for Super League but they are for internationals which requires a higher level of physical maturity.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    ...but given the limited performances from Hodgson to date Id rather have looked at other options.
    Who in particular do you have in mind?
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Not for Super League but they are for internationals which requires a higher level of physical maturity.
    25 and 26 thay are, how old do you need to be to be physically mature?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I think the main thing to take from the final test was that the Kiwis are a dangerous side and that could have been the story in all three tests. In fact this proves how good England were in the first two games.

I think any criticism of Richie Myler is unfair. The guy is limited and wouldn't have got a game had a number of other players been fit. I would guess had we given Matty Smith a few more games this year, or sent him out on loan, he would have got a call up over Myler. Richie came in tried his best, put his body on the line and didn't have any massive mess ups. This is probably his last game in an England shirt barring any more massive injury problems in the future. It is nice he got to have his international swan song.

I can understand the Hodgson selection too. He plays week in week out in the NRL and is a good player at that level. I think there are a few hookers out there with more talent but they are untested at that level. For example Daryl Clark looked good but got squashed and had to go off. Could argue that is bad luck or that Clark isn't match hardened at that level. Either way Hodgson is the proven player at a higher intensity. If any other hookers don't like that they know where the airport is, go over to the NRL and prove that you are better than Josh.

The negatives were that we lacked a fourth prop. In retrospect calling Scott Taylor into the squad may have been the move to make. The part of the match that killed us was when Milner/Greenwood/Hill were on the field. Hill looked the most likely of the main props to drop out when others return he looks like a slow plodder when compared with Tom Burgess or Luke Thompson, Greenwood is a talented player but is a bit soft and needs to mature more to be able to last at that level. Milner is a player I don't get the fascination with, he just seems to be one in a long line of over hyped Castleford players. However I thought Brett Ferres was in that bracket too and he proved me wrong (then signed for Leeds and proved me right), maybe Milner will do the same. However the game was dead rubber, there are few matches available that allow us to test players. So Wayne Bennett, long term, made the correct call to see where these players were up to.
    why should english players have to go and play in the nrl to prove there better than somebody who plays there?Hodgson as being poor in the main for England and to say because he plays in the nrl puts him automatically above other english players and means he gets selected no matter what is ridiculous

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by st. etrigan View Post
    If we look at potential strength in depth the players below do seem to be our only choices, while there are plenty in each position there are some that should no longer play or never get picked if the stronger players are fit

Here is my take on the players that could easily be playing for England/GB over the next 2 to 3 years (some have less of a chance than others obviously)
    Fullback
    Lomax, Tomkins, Connor, Hardaker, Walker, Ratchford, Shaul
    Wing
    Makinson, McGilvery, Johnson, Hall, J. Burgess, Manfredi, Charnley
    Center
    Connor, Gildart, Percival, Lyne, Watkins, Griffin
    Halves
    Williams, Tomkins, Myler, Connor, Gale, Richardson, Widdop, Sneyd
    Prop
    T. Burgess, G. Burgess, Thompson, Hill, Graham, Walmsley, Lees, Taylor, Oledzki, Singleton, Mulhern
    Hooker
    Hodgson, Clarke, Roby, McShane, McIllorum, Houghton
    Second row
    Bateman, Whitehead, Greenwood, Currie, S. Burgess
    Loose forward
    O’Loughlin, Thompson, Milner, S. Burgess, Ward

Have I missed anyone out?
    Tom Davies, carries the ball better than any other winger in Superleague, and got an outstanding review on the P.N.G tour. He would probably have been top metre maker had he not missed those few games with injury at the start of the season.
    Saying that we're well off for wingers, if only we had the same depth at centre, loose forward and the halfbacks.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Tom Davies, carries the ball better than any other winger in Superleague.
    Be interested to know what you’ve based this on.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

I just looked on the BBC app and the fans picked their best England 13,if all fit. Lomax,Makinson,Watkins,Percival, McGillivray,Widdop,Gale,Graham,Roby,G.Burgess,Bate man,Whitehead,
    S.Burgess.

Sent from my E1R161 using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

It's just his personal view.

Through very pie-tinted spectacles.

Tom Davies, carries the ball better than any other winger in Superleague, and got an outstanding review on the P.N.G tour. He would probably have been top metre maker had he not missed those few games with injury at the start of the season.
    Saying that we're well off for wingers, if only we had the same depth at centre, loose forward and the halfbacks.
    Not having that Rogues sorry

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

This was someone who recently said of Makinson "if the touch line was a try line, he'd be a world beater"

Davies is decent enough, but manfredi is ahead of him for England in my opinion

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I'm just saying he should be considered, when asked anybody else?
    He was superleagues top metre making winger in 2018, does a lot of work carrying the ball out of defence, which seems to be a prerequisite for the modern day winger. He has a low error rate, and he's still only 21. I think he needs to work on the defensive side of his game. Hall and McGilvray are in their 30's so at least one of the younger players will get their chance.
    It'll be interesting to see what happens at Wigan if he, Manfredi, Burgess and Marshall ever get fit at the same time. At least one will have to go and some other club will pick up a very good player.

Got A Season Ticket

He was superleagues top metre making winger in 2018, does a lot of work carrying the ball out of defence, which seems to be a prerequisite for the modern day winger. He has a low error rate, and he's still only 21. I think he needs to work on the defensive side of his game. Hall and McGilvray are in their 30's so at least one of the younger players will get their chance.
    It'll be interesting to see what happens at Wigan if he, Manfredi, Burgess and Marshall ever get fit at the same time. At least one will have to go and some other club will pick up a very good player.
    The reason that I didn't include him - from my perspective - is that if both Manfredi and Burgess are fit they would be your first choice wingers, neither of them are first choice wingers for England at this time - so I do not think that a player who cannot remove the players at Club level who are in in his position and those players are not currently internationals should be considered for international caps.
    There is no reason why we should go back to including Wigan reserves in England teams.

If he wants to play at international level then he needs to either get better than those two or move to another club so he is at least first choice

I'd assume that Burgess and Manfredi would be starting wingers. Davies would be back up for a bit and probably end up at a mid table side long term while Marshall will end up signing for someone like Hull KR or a challenging Championship side.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I'd assume that Burgess and Manfredi would be starting wingers. Davies would be back up for a bit and probably end up at a mid table side long term while Marshall will end up signing for someone like Hull KR or a challenging Championship side.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I disagree. Davies is probably now the in vogue style of winger, he makes a lot of metres from carries out of defence. I'm not sure how Burgess will be after is bad injury, I don't expect him to be back until April or maybe even May. Longer term I wouldn't be surprised to see Burgess at centre, IF he recovers.

In The South Stand

Why don't you just pick all the Wigan team?.