Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Leeds signing

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Edited to share the blame elsewhere, correct me if I am wrong but didn't we keep Fages away from the bench out of the 17 in both semi finals when we were desperate for some different variety. The first semi final we could have had Jonathon Thurston playing ay 7 but the result would have been the same with the amount of dropped ball and dropping off tackles. The second semi final too many experienced players went missing when the going got tough and it was left to Thompson to put in a semi final effort on his own.
    You’re right, it’s a make or break season for Holbrook as well as Richardson. Another season without a semi final win then questions should be asked about Holbrook’s future and if Richardson performs as poorly as last season then we should be looking for a new scrum half. Hopefully that won’t be the case. Fages did come on off the bench in the first semi and was terrible, threw a forward pass at a time when we had Catalans on the back foot, blew another try and Moa walked through him to score. Why people think Fages is the answer I don’t know. He’s never been good enough and never will be. Also, a half with the ability to control a game would have made a huge difference in both games.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    You’re right, it’s a make or break season for Holbrook as well as Richardson. Another season without a semi final win then questions should be asked about Holbrook’s future and if Richardson performs as poorly as last season then we should be looking for a new scrum half. Hopefully that won’t be the case. Fages did come on off the bench in the first semi and was terrible, threw a forward pass at a time when we had Catalans on the back foot, blew another try and Moa walked through him to score. Why people think Fages is the answer I don’t know. He’s never been good enough and never will be. Also, a half with the ability to control a game would have made a huge difference in both games.
    I don't think Lomax should be immune from this either, he will be in his 10th year of Superleague next season and he had quite a few spells last season were his decision making was poor, I don't think his playing partner should be taking the brunt of the criticism being the youngest and least experienced player in the first choice team.

For me Holbrook has put too many eggs in one basket utilising Richardson, if you look at attacking kicks alone he is way ahead of any other half back for this stat but there are 4 or 5 teams who use the attacking option more than Saints, they do this by having 3 players for the accruals. Hopefully the arrival of Coote will take some of the load and hence be better organised.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 15th December 2018 at 19:39.

Learning All The Songs

Think your both making the same point Stiddy and Dux. Lack of leadership is our problem, whether it`s the half backs fault when possession and completion stats are so bad, is certainly open to debate.
    Remember reading Joynty`s book when he said we drew a Cumbrian team early in the comp he said Tommy Martyn tried a flash move that did not come off, he said he told Tommy that wont work today and said they had to grind out a win against a team that had grown another leg on the strength of our mistakes. We need a Joynty/Scully in our pack.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Think your both making the same point Stiddy and Dux. Lack of leadership is our problem, whether it`s the half backs fault when possession and completion stats are so bad, is certainly open to debate.
    Remember reading Joynty`s book when he said we drew a Cumbrian team early in the comp he said Tommy Martyn tried a flash move that did not come off, he said he told Tommy that wont work today and said they had to grind out a win against a team that had grown another leg on the strength of our mistakes. We need a Joynty/Scully in our pack.
    Richardson will fulfill his potential now that Wilkin won't be in his way

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    When I watched Richardson in the 19s he was a very good organiser, I'm sure this will come through eventually at open age. You cannot expect this to happen straight away for a young kid, this type of thing takes time

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I don't think Lomax should be immune from this either, he will be in his 10th year of Superleague next season and he had quite a few spells last season were his decision making was poor, I don't think his playing partner should be taking the brunt of the criticism being the youngest and least experienced player in the first choice team.

For me Holbrook has put too many eggs in one basket utilising Richardson, if you look at attacking kicks alone he is way ahead of any other half back for this stat but there are 4 or 5 teams who use the attacking option more than Saints, they do this by having 3 players for the accruals. Hopefully the arrival of Coote will take some of the load and hence be better organised.
    A huge issue with Lomax in the halves is he doesn't seem to kick at all. So our last plays are predictable and as such under pressure because everyone knows who's getting the ball. We need to share the work out a bit more in that area. Hopefully we see a few more plans thought of this off season

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    A huge issue with Lomax in the halves is he doesn't seem to kick at all. So our last plays are predictable and as such under pressure because everyone knows who's getting the ball. We need to share the work out a bit more in that area. Hopefully we see a few more plans thought of this off season
    Exactly, we can't repeat this one kicker scenario and take into next season, Holbrook has to make tactical changes and I think this is were Coote comes into the frame. If we don't then we could have another "Lomax/Gaskell" where the opposition only needs one target because they don't need to think about any others on the last tackle play.
    As you mentioned Lomax doesn't kick so much, Wilkin hardly but rightly didn't kick at all, Barba stopped kicking when he went through his AWOL period so it was a case of put a lot of pressure on Richardson and his game will be less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    Yep.

Must be difficult at 21 to be taking control and yelling orders at Decorated pro’s like Wilkin and Roby.

I think Richardson had his very good moments last year and had his poor times too.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.