Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Coote

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I hope im wrong. I hope the bloke goes well for our sake. Me personally? I would have brought in a young English half to work along side Richardson and built a team around them for the future. I said 2 months ago i would have been happy to go for Reynolds at Leigh. Wakefield and Cas are after him.
    We've got our own young English Half Back in Jack Welsby who is developing at a fair rate of knots, Holbrook is probably seeing a promising half back partnership within the club.

Learning All The Songs

Funnily enough, opposition fans seems to be more positive about Coote being a good signing for us than we are. Happy to put faith in Holbrook and see what we get from the new signings next season

Some guys on here need to grow some. Give (another) guy a chance.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    I take it none of you fans arguing over whether Coote is good or not went to the match tonight.

Playing fullback at super league compared to playing fullback in the NRL is totally different. Look at Tomkins, was crap over there. Hardaker could only make the bench or centre, not good enough for fullback. The likes of Barba previously dropped to the lower league when off form, over here he stays in the team. Coote will be a more effective player over here than in the NRL. I can’t think of any current super league fullback that would get on in the NRL.

What’s the relevance of your opening sentence? Not that I need to justify myself
    to you but I chose to let someone else use my season ticket so I could stay in and spend the night with my wife who’s been in and out of hospital lately. That OK?
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

I was reading one of the Zak threads on an independent Wigan forum last night. They were advocating sacking Hardaker and suggesting Coote would be a decent signing for them.

Not seen much of the NRL myself in recent years so I will reserve judgment. Noting his resume I'm thinking he will be fairly decent in what is looking like a strong squad for next year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Some guys on here need to grow some. Give (another) guy a chance.
    You're right. Having probably seen more of Coote than most I'm not thrilled by the signing and I would have preferred us to look for a halfback. But he's on his way and non of us have any idea how he will go in Super League.

Holbrook has done superbly so far and we have to trust what he sees in Coote and what he thinks he'll bring to the team.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    What’s the relevance of your opening sentence? Not that I need to justify myself
    to you but I chose to let someone else use my season ticket so I could stay in and spend the night with my wife who’s been in and out of hospital lately. That OK?
    Best wishes to your other half from me YG

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    You're right. Having probably seen more of Coote than most I'm not thrilled by the signing and I would have preferred us to look for a halfback. But he's on his way and non of us have any idea how he will go in Super League.

Holbrook has done superbly so far and we have to trust what he sees in Coote and what he thinks he'll bring to the team.

Seen bits off him and he's looked decent from what I've seen.

Buddy, is he an out & fullback or could he play stand off too? (not that I'm saying he will, just thinking of options in the pivots)...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Seen bits off him and he's looked decent from what I've seen.

Buddy, is he an out & fullback or could he play stand off too? (not that I'm saying he will, just thinking of options in the pivots)...
    I've only ever seen him play fullback

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post

Spot on Buddy. Some on here have short memories, remember many calling for wholesale player changes when KC was in charge? It wasn't the players, it was the coach! I'm pretty sure that if the player is average when he arrives, Holbrook will make him blossom in a Saints shirt. Just look at Dom (and others) who are unrecognisable now compared to under KC. Holbrook obviously sees the potential in Coote and with what he's done at Saints after inheriting a train wreck, he's got my vote!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Funnily enough, opposition fans seems to be more positive about Coote being a good signing for us than we are. Happy to put faith in Holbrook and see what we get from the new signings next season
    I think people on here are doing a direct comparison with Barba, whom has been a one off. Coote may not be a Barba, but he may be a very good FB of a different style than BB. A couple of the positives by people that watch him play, is that he is better defensively and has a better kicking game than Barba.
    He may fit very well into our young side.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Quite disappointed in this.

Feels like a very expensive injury prone fullback version of Chris Flannery/ matty smith.

Barba was a rare treat , but feels like we wet ourselfves and jumped a t the first and only NRL FB.

For 300K+ we need pace and xfactor, rather than steady eddie.

Didn't want to come to uk , nobody wanted in him in OZ ,
    got 3 years rather than two+ club option.

£ for £
    I think Lomax to 1 would be a better way forward.
    I would have been very excited at Hastings at 6
    I would have been content with Mellor at 6.
    I am disappointed with Coote for £300K+pa for 3 years.

Not sure the kids will be queuing up to get Coote's name on their shirt.
    I'm with you on this Gerry and said much the same when the talk started about Coote.

I know he hasn't been announced as a marquee signing, but you would have to think it's a big contract. And a 3 year deal for a player who's stock has fallen as you say, is questionable. Coote should have to prove himself as far as I'm concerned and if the only way to get him over here was to give him the long-term deal, then I think Saints should've walked away- I think Saints could've waited/bided their time. They already have Lomax who is a very good SL level full back and so he could've slotted in there. Fages could've come in to the halves. Holbrook has given SL exposure to some of the young talents coming through as well hasn't he?

I can understand with Austin and Lolohea already being snapped up (I think either would've been great for Saints), so some of the best talent already off the market, it's difficult for the club to find a player who will excite the fans and soften the blow of losing Barba, but it does feel like Saints are using up a lot of cap space on a deal which they don't need to do. Now you could argue that St Helens could still bring in another marquee signing, but then where would he play? I think pivots are generally the most effective marquee players- worth the money I mean.

The club could've picked up Mellor who's a proven SL level player who would cost a lot less than Coote that's for sure, and have plenty left to spend on the cap if somebody becomes available leading up to or mid-way through next season. He could've effectively taken Matty Smith's place in the squad and would've given some competition for the halves but could also cover full back.

I have the same thoughts on the Joseph Paulo 3 year signing too.

Regards,

STEVO

Learning All The Songs

Mellor? Really???

Noooobie

I think he will be a good signing, he's no barba, no one we could get would be unless we could've convinced Billy Slater to come for a swan song here. Let's give him a chance guys eh? Mellor?? Let's be honest that would have been a disappointing signing he's not our level and could get in the way of fages or welsby

Learning All The Songs Mac Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Lots of negativity from lots of people who have probably never seen him play.

Gonna be a long off-season....
    Second this.

He’s a top quality NRL fullback and the RL supporters in Australia will even tell you that. Fans from other clubs were sad to see him leave the NRL.

Let’s just wait and see.
    This wonderful St. Helens OUTFIT

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Saint View Post
    Second this.

He’s a top quality NRL fullback and the RL supporters in Australia will even tell you that. Fans from other clubs were sad to see him leave the NRL.

Let’s just wait and see.

And at least he probably wont run off back to the NRL in a flash !

In The South Stand

Saints have got lots of young players who are going to want to be in the team soon and I hope the 3 year deal isn't going to spoil things for them.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Saints have got lots of young players who are going to want to be in the team soon and I hope the 3 year deal isn't going to spoil things for them.
    Which young fullback is it going to spoil things for?
    There isn’t one at the club that could take on the fullback role for at the very least another 2 years

In The South Stand

My point proved 2 years perhaps it should have been.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

It hasn’t, there is no youngster at Saints at present who will be good enough for fullback in two years time

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

How many years did Matty Smith have left on his contract?

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

If we'd have signed Coote before Barba came on the scene I think we'd all have been happy we were signing a decent full back. Fact is, after Barba, whoever we got was going to be a fall off so he can't win really and will come a distant second in all the comparisons.

As has been said, we'll miss what Barba gave us and all the tries he was part of, so just need to make up for that in other areas of the game.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Got A Season Ticket

Some people on here obviously hated this season with the lack of things to moan about. He's a solid proven NRL full back alongside several other high quality signings to add to an already impressive side. Reckon JH has just about earned the benefit of the doubt on this?

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    How many years did Matty Smith have left on his contract?
    2 Years................

Mr Coote has arrived according to Saints twitter. In the photos he’s smiling.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.