moving to England,” Lachlan said.
    “It is a great opportunity to play for such a proud
    and successful club and I’m really looking forward
    to settling in and kicking off the 2019 season.”

Coote comes to the Totally Wicked Stadium
    with bags of experience and a winning mentality
    that has been proven in the NRL.

The Scottish international has played 166 times in
    the NRL after making his debut for Penrith in 2008.

He went on to make 83 appearances for the Panthers
    before he signed for Cowboys in 2014.

It was there that his skills and big game
    experience came to the fore.

He played a massive part in North Queensland’s run
    to the 2015 Grand Final and was integral in back-stopping
    them to a heart-stopping 17-16 Golden Point
    win over Brisbane Broncos.

The following year the Cowboys became World Champions
    and Coote scored in the 38-4 win over Leeds at Headingley.

“I’m really excited to have such a quality player
    coming to our club,” Saints Head Coach Justin Holbrook said.
    “He is an exciting player with a good kicking game and vision.

“He will suit our club perfectly.”

Coote played City Origin in 2012 and lined up
    for the Prime Minister’s XIII in their
    end-of-season match against Papua New Guinea.

He has also featured 3 times for Scotland.

Saints Chairman Eamonn McManus added:
    “Lachlan is a proven top class full back or
    half back with a great all round game.
    He’s performed for years at the highest level
    and will also provide experience and leadership
    within an already strong Saints squad
    next season and beyond.

“We are all looking forward to welcoming him to the Club.”

Have to say that I'm underwhelmed by his signing. Lomax to FB and bringing in a quality half would have been the better option for me but in JH we trust.

I am unaware of this guy as I don’t do to much NRL. Some I’ve spoken to are not overly impressed. Well he has signed and I will make my judgement on him after some games under his belt. I hope fans will hold off until we have seen him play. I wish him nothing but good luck.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Got A Season Ticket

He played and scored in the 2016 World Club Challenge against Leeds, if anyone fancies a look.

Here's the link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz861ZgGgD8

Also, sets up a try for the Scots from a kick v New Zealand in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENghtJgodRs

Think he'll be handy. He's no Barba but he'll be very good in Super League.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I am unaware of this guy as I don’t do to much NRL. Some I’ve spoken to are not overly impressed. Well he has signed and I will make my judgement on him after some games under his belt. I hope fans will hold off until we have seen him play. I wish him nothing but good luck.
    I’ve seen some comments made across forums etc. I watch the NRL regularly and he is completely different to Ben Barba there’s no question about that. That said I’m a little annoyed by the negativity, he’s defensively very good (no turnstile) he follows up attacking kicks brilliantly and with Danny Richardson having a full season behind him he will have Coote on his shoulder for most attacking plays. Reads the game well and although not explosive like the likes of Barba will still do a great job for us in Super League, Lomax has proven his best place is 6 for the way we play.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Im not overly impressed with him. He’s a steady player IMO. He is versatile though. Holbrook will have to decide which combination give us more strike. I can see him experimenting with Coote at 6. Although i think Lomax is better than Coote in both positions i think Coote may complement Richardsons game and overall we will be more threatening with Lomax at 1.

Just gotta trust in Holbrook.
    Last edited by fishy3005; 28th September 2018 at 11:59.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

He sounds very much like a Wellens type of player by way of being a defensive and supportive attacking player rather than a creative one. If he has a decent kicking game we might see less pressure on Richardson as he could be involved in the last tackle play from a better deeper position.

Holbrook will obviously will be looking pre season what cards he is dealt with, the team still looks well balanced and now we have plenty of cover in the forwards and the backs.

Starting A Programme Collection

On Saints now

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    I’ve seen some comments made across forums etc. I watch the NRL regularly and he is completely different to Ben Barba there’s no question about that. That said I’m a little annoyed by the negativity, he’s defensively very good (no turnstile) he follows up attacking kicks brilliantly and with Danny Richardson having a full season behind him he will have Coote on his shoulder for most attacking plays. Reads the game well and although not explosive like the likes of Barba will still do a great job for us in Super League, Lomax has proven his best place is 6 for the way we play.
    Here, here.
    I think Coote will be a big hit for the fans. He is an all round fullback, defensively sound, great work ethic, passing and kicking game. I’ve not understood all the nagtivity, maybe it’s because people are comparing his offence to Barba’s or are just feeding off other negative posts who haven’t seen him play much.

If it puts the negative ones minds at rest, if it’s not working for him at fullback there’s Lomax who’s a proven international fullback and also Naiqama who’s the Fiji fullback and captain.

For me lots to be excited about.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Here, here.
    I think Coote will be a big hit for the fans. He is an all round fullback, defensively sound, great work ethic, passing and kicking game. I’ve not understood all the nagtivity, maybe it’s because people are comparing his offence to Barba’s or are just feeding off other negative posts who haven’t seen him play much.

If it puts the negative ones minds at rest, if it’s not working for him at fullback there’s Lomax who’s a proven international fullback and also Naiqama who’s the Fiji fullback and captain.

For me lots to be excited about.
    Good post, not seen much of him myself as I don't watch much NRL.
    It sounds like he could be a good fit for us, JH certainly thinks so.

I think Saints have done good business in all this, we have now Coote, Paulo and Naiqama sorted for next season, not to mention young Batchelor who Holbrook is very keen on. The mix of experience and youth are in place and Saints are looking dangerous.

As for Coote, I've said it before, if we can keep him fit? He will be a great replacement for us to have for the next three years, as Holbrook stated:

"I'm really excited to have such a quality player coming to our club. He is an exciting player with a good kicking game and vision. He will suit our club perfectly."

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

His CV looks good, it will most probably take a few games to settle then we can see what he can do.

Learning All The Songs

Would have preferred a 6/7 but I think it’s a good signing despite having not watched him a great deal. You don’t spend the amount of time he has as a first choice fullback and help to win a GF if you aren’t a quality player. Also highly sought after a few years ago. Clearly he’s suffered a loss of form but at 28 a move to an easier league with a new team there’s no reason why he can’t recapture some of that form. Squad is starting to look good for next year now, especially if Batchelor proves to be good enough and both Lees and Ashworth can keep improving.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Would have preferred a 6/7 but I think it’s a good signing despite having not watched him a great deal. You don’t spend the amount of time he has as a first choice fullback and help to win a GF if you aren’t a quality player. Also highly sought after a few years ago. Clearly he’s suffered a loss of form but at 28 a move to an easier league with a new team there’s no reason why he can’t recapture some of that form. Squad is starting to look good for next year now, especially if Batchelor proves to be good enough and both Lees and Ashworth can keep improving.
    Yes, it might freshen him up with some form playing in Superleague, as we all know not a Ben Barba but if he turns out more like a steady and dependable Phil Veivers that will do as we still have plenty of strike force all over the park.

Banned

Hard to replace a Barba - and having such a 'something out of nothing' player is what we've been crying out for since the heady days of having a team full of stars under Millward & Anderson. To lose him is a big blow, but we'll have to rely on a better team performance rather than individual brilliance.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I don't watch that much NRL so it is good to read something positive from someone that has seen him play.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He sounds very much like a Wellens type of player by way of being a defensive and supportive attacking player rather than a creative one. If he has a decent kicking game we might see less pressure on Richardson as he could be involved in the last tackle play from a better deeper position.

Holbrook will obviously will be looking pre season what cards he is dealt with, the team still looks well balanced and now we have plenty of cover in the forwards and the backs.
    I think with the young ones starting to come through in the forwards and backs, and a few experienced players, I think this is the best balanced squad we have had for a long time.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

I’m liking what Holbrook’s building. Our attack at times still looks disjointed, we don’t have the ability or fluency to always get the ball out wide quickly or effectively enough.

Coote and Paulo will play key roles in this and with the added x-factor of Naiqama and Percy in the centres we’ll have great balance across the pitch.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Barba will undoubtably be a loss but on paper, Coote is a really smart signing I think. The fact that his kicking game has been mentioned in that article says a lot, he carries a long kicking option which will be really important for us next season. Paulo will control the team from 13 and Coote will bring some control from full back, that’ll hopefully free Lomax and Richardson up to play to their strengths. I’m really glad that got two ball players there. McManus has said it there but if needed, I’d be confident of him slotting into the halves and he’s got a nice left to right pass out the back as well.

He’s had his injury problems but he’s been in the NRL now for 10 years and 166 games over there is a fair effort, to have that at the back of the team bossing everyone about is a good thing to have.

When the coaches walk into the changing room next year and they’ve got Coote, Lomax, Roby, Douglas, Walmsley, Taia, Paulo etc in there, paired with the strike that Percival, Naiqama, Peyroux etc will bring, I think there’s reason to be confident with that.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

I agree. The negativity is a pain in the neck now. I don’t follow the Aussie game so I don’t know Coote but Holbrook hasn’t put a foot wrong and if he thinks we need Coote I respect his view

Quite disappointed in this.

Feels like a very expensive injury prone fullback version of Chris Flannery/ matty smith.

Barba was a rare treat , but feels like we wet ourselfves and jumped a t the first and only NRL FB.

For 300K+ we need pace and xfactor, rather than steady eddie.

Didn't want to come to uk , nobody wanted in him in OZ ,
    got 3 years rather than two+ club option.

£ for £
    I think Lomax to 1 would be a better way forward.
    I would have been very excited at Hastings at 6
    I would have been content with Mellor at 6.
    I am disappointed with Coote for £300K+pa for 3 years.

Not sure the kids will be queuing up to get Coote's name on their shirt.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post

Feels like a very expensive injury prone fullback version of Chris Flannery/ matty smith.

Barba was a rare treat , but feels like we wet ourselfves and jumped a t the first and only NRL FB.

£ for £

Be careful Gerry. You’ll be labelled negative. Apparently those who know nothing of the NRL or Coote are better placed to give an opinion.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Be careful Gerry. You’ll be labelled negative. Apparently those who know nothing of the NRL or Coote are better placed to give an opinion.
    Whose thar trippy trapping over my bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post

£ for £

I’m not having a dig here, Gerry - genuine question: where have you got the £300k figure from?

I don’t mind having a less exciting full back IF he is able to contribute to our game management and kicking game. I would have probably gone for an organising half and moved Lomax to full back, but the modern game being what it is there’s no reason why a full back can’t contribute in that area.

Can’t claim to know much about Coote though. Seen him a couple of times but largely going from reports.