Breaking on NRL.com

Welcome Locky.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Breaking on NRL.com

Welcome Locky.
    Are you sure?

He's out of contract at the Cowboys so releasing him is just because of that, plus the Barba deal is pending a fee (which I believe has been agreed). I don't know but I can't see how Coote can be part of any deal with the Cowboys

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

It's being reported straight swap for Barba. Coote didn't seem keen on playing over here.

Starting A Programme Collection

Yep. All agreed a week ago.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    It's being reported straight swap for Barba. Coote didn't seem keen on playing over here.
    Im not keen on him coming over here either to be honest.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.c...0964437f47fd53

Looks a done deal, straight swap for Barba, most likely to be announced at the same time.
    I think he’ll do well over here, should get a few years out of him too, he’s only 28.

Coote is out of contract, so it can't be a straight swap in any real sense.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Yes, Saints got the full transfer fee they wanted for Barba, and then have just recruited Coote separately.

Coote plays for NQ, Barba plays for Saints.
    Barba is joining NQ, Coote is joining Saints.

A straight swap if I’ve ever seen one. Would NQ have kept hold of Coote if Saints wouldnt agree to Barba going unless as part of a deal?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    If that's the case we've been well and truly shafted

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post

A straight swap if I’ve ever seen one. Would NQ have kept hold of Coote if Saints wouldnt agree to Barba going unless as part of a deal?
    Coote was off contract and not offered another deal by Cowboys. Coote is free to negotiate a contract with anybody - and in effect could pick a different club to sign for than Saints should he want to regardless of being any makeweight in a Barba deal.

Barba is on contract with Saints for 2019 and therefore a different scenario altogether. Can't be a swap deal for 2019 when the reality is Coote isn't a Cowboys player for 2019.

Might have been an agreement that Barba will only be sold if a replacement is signed - which is where Coote will fit - but will still be a fee involved and not a straight swap

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Coote doesn't play for anyone since the Cowboys season ended. It's not that hard to understand.

I believe Coote was earning $650k a year at the Cowboys, I guess any fee we receive could be in the form of salary contributions

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

As others have said, Coote is out of contract and thus does not 'belong' to NQ for them to offer him to us.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

It isn’t a straight swap though as we are receiving cash from NQ too.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand

If it is true that he doesn't really want to join Saints, then why are we signing him?.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    If it is true that he doesn't really want to join Saints, then why are we signing him?.

That isn’t true. What he said in an interview is that it would be a tough move for him and his family but he would make it work.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Coote is obviously part of a swap deal with Barba.
    If NQ were not signing Barba would they have retained Coote? Probably.

It’s a swap fullback for fullback, no need to get so hung up about it. NQ could have used not resigning Coote as the transfer fee for Barba.

Got A Season Ticket

Ben Barba last 3 seasons in NRL: 27 tries in 71 games (0.38 per game).
    Lachlan Coote last 3 full seasons (2015-2017): 13 tries in 74 games (0.18 per game).

Ben Barba final season in NRL: 16 tries in 27 games (0.59 per game), key figure in Cronulla's title winning season.
    Lachlan Coote final season in NRL: 2 tries in 9 games (0.22 per game), early season hamstring injury before being out of favour.

Ben Barba 2010-2012 (most prolific spell) including Dally M: 60 tries in 72 game 0.83 per game).
    Lachlan Coote 2010-2012 (also most prolific spell): 38 tries in 59 games (0.64 per game).

Lachlan Coote injuries: 2009 (season ending shoulder injury), 2010/2011 (pelvic injury requiring surgery), 2013 (torn pec, missed most of season), 2014 (torn acl, missed entire season), 2017 (calf injury early in season), 2018 (hamstring injury, missed first 3 games).

Those are the facts. What do people who have seen him play regularly think of Coote? Is he good in defence? What is his passing like? While very few could match Barba's impact as a runner will Coote at least be somewhat of a threat?

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    That isn’t true. What he said in an interview is that it would be a tough move for him and his family but he would make it work.
    Not wanting to be negative but that’s is his get out clause already.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1987 View Post
    Ben Barba last 3 seasons in NRL: 27 tries in 71 games (0.38 per game).
    Lachlan Coote last 3 full seasons (2015-2017): 13 tries in 74 games (0.18 per game).

Ben Barba final season in NRL: 16 tries in 27 games (0.59 per game), key figure in Cronulla's title winning season.
    Lachlan Coote final season in NRL: 2 tries in 9 games (0.22 per game), early season hamstring injury before being out of favour.
    Ben Barba 2010-2012 (most prolific spell) including Dally M: 60 tries in 72 game 0.83 per game).
    Lachlan Coote 2010-2012 (also most prolific spell): 38 tries in 59 games (0.64 per game).
    Lachlan Coote injuries: 2009 (season ending shoulder injury), 2010/2011 (pelvic injury requiring surgery), 2013 (torn pec, missed most of season), 2014 (torn acl, missed entire season), 2017 (calf injury early in season), 2018 (hamstring injury, missed first 3 games).
    Those are the facts. What do people who have seen him play regularly think of Coote? Is he good in defence? What is his passing like? While very few could match Barba's impact as a runner will Coote at least be somewhat of a threat?
    One missing stat and IMO an important one. What was Barba and Cootes contribution during games other than them scoring tries? I don’t care who scores tries in the team. It’s about how individuals contribute to the overall team/result.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

You can never be too sure because there's been plenty of good NRL players who've come over to the Super League and haven't reached anywhere near their best level because so many factors come into play, family, lifestyle etc.

I've always been fairly impressed by him whenever I've seen him. I think he's gone from being a bit of a maverick to being more of a controlling type player who can run as well. I think Holbrook will like the fact that he plays almost like an extra half, he's got a long kicking game and he can organise. I've seen him kick drop goals to win them games. I think it's important to remember how NQC use him as well. Because Thurston is such a dominant half back, rather than having one half back controlling either side of the pitch like most teams do, Thurston roams around the middle of the pitch, Coote controls the left side and the stand off controls the right hand side. I think he's developed into more of a ball player because of that. If we stick with Richardson at scrum half, I think Coote will take a lot of pressure off Richardson, as will Paulo and hopefully that will free Lomax, Percival and Naquima up to be running threats.

I don't think his running game is as good as Barba's but I am hoping he will add a bit more balance to the team.

One thing I will say though is that since Holbrook has come in, he's picked players in positions because they have a specific skill set and he wants them to do a certain job. You think about Wilkin and Peyroux and the roles they have in the team, we've just signed Joseph Paulo who is different to a lot of 13's. If he wants Coote, it'll be for a reason, he'll want him to do a certain job.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Interview I read went along the lines of "there is interest from Super League , preference was to stay in OZ and NRL (new house and very settled) but if he couldn't secure a deal then he would have to consider it. Seemed very much an option of last resort.

No thanks . Lomax to 1 , and sign a 6 who wants to be here who is not on £370K

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Seemed very much an option of last resort.
    Let's be honest: that's the case for any NRL player who comes here.

Let's be honest: that's the case for any NRL player who comes here.
    Yes absolutely.

However plenty need to do well here to get back and redeem themselves.
    Most are not public about how luke warm they are at the idea of coming.

The report I read said that he would’ve preferred to have stayed in the NRL but there were no offers. You could say that for hundreds of import players so a bit harsh to hold that against him, though I know what people mean. I agree that it’s just a case of him being open and honest - many people in their careers have to move away to progress, they’d prefer a job on their doorstep but it doesn’t always work like that

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...r1271gimep6joi