Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #1

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    I've never understood the calls to sign another fullback.
    It was always obvious that whether for 1 or 2 years Barba was a temporary fullback and Lomax was the long term solution. Hence why he keeps the number 1 Jersey.

I think fages showed that with more game time he would fit nicely into the 6 role and for 40 minutes he and Richardson clicked.

They were not the dream team but were effective.
    Said no one, ever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    A good Billinge lad
    Billinge in St Helens?

Starting A Programme Collection

Billinge is a village in the borough of St Helens?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by RED OR DEAD View Post
    I am not be harsh It's just a question and to say he's not had injury issues isn't true and because of these there was a time on this forum people questioned if he could remain a saints player. I hope he makes the spot his own and goes on to play for saints many more times but to say I am ridiculous is way off the mark.
    I remember people questioning whether he could come back from injury and worse. He proved the doubters wrong when he scored against Leeds on his return and completely wrong footed Hardaker who, despite his off the field history, is one of the best fullbacks in the business.

Lomax has a tremendous rugby brain and spatial awareness and I’ve always been pleased that he plays for us and that McManus and the board have stood by him through dark times. One thing I like about him, and it has nothing to do with his ability, is the way he never smiles or backslaps after scoring or try assisting. He always looks grim, as if the game is too serious for a smile and that he knows he has work to do. The opening poster did well to highlight the lad’s ability.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I am not be harsh It's just a question and to say he's not had injury issues isn't true and because of these there was a time on this forum people questioned if he could remain a saints player. I hope he makes the spot his own and goes on to play for saints many more times but to say I am ridiculous is way off the mark.
    You said he had been plagued over the last few years. That simply isn’t true.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Having said all this - I think he could be rested next week v Hull by putting Costello at his preferred position and having Morgan back at centre. That way we protect him for the two “bigger” games against Wire and Cas and make him fresher for the semi.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Having said all this - I think he could be rested next week v Hull by putting Costello at his preferred position and having Morgan back at centre. That way we protect him for the two “bigger” games against Wire and Cas and make him fresher for the semi.
    I don’t think resting him would be a bad idea but I doubt that Morgan will be an option. I suspect that the medical staff are rightly concerned about the number of concussions he has suffered.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I don’t think resting him would be a bad idea but I doubt that Morgan will be an option. I suspect that the medical staff are rightly concerned about the number of concussions he has suffered.
    According to the medical staff it wasn't a major concussion like the others he has received and just given a rest for the Catalan game, should be playing next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I thought I’d read that Morgan would be back and that the concussion he suffered last week wasn’t the same as the others. We should also be prepared to play Matty Smith in these next three games in my opinion - regardless of his match fitness. We are going to have to make sure everyone is at their peak for the semi and that should mean all the fringe players need to play

In The South Stand

I thought I’d read that Morgan would be back and that the concussion he suffered last week wasn’t the same as the others. We should also be prepared to play Matty Smith in these next three games in my opinion - regardless of his match fitness. We are going to have to make sure everyone is at their peak for the semi and that should mean all the fringe players need to play
    My comment about Morgan is based purely on guesswork and I’ve also seen posts suggesting he should be back. I think the injury was to the temple but, as a none medical person, think that it’s the frequency of concussions that matter, not the point of impact. I’ve read, I think in the context of RU, that it should be possible to check for concussions with a simple blood test next year. No idea how that would work.

Just throwing this out. Could we see Bentley v Hull? He was water boy at Catalans..did not play for Sheffield this week. Would be able to rest another regular as well.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Starting A Programme Collection

Not ridiculous, just talking tripe.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Just throwing this out. Could we see Bentley v Hull? He was water boy at Catalans..did not play for Sheffield this week. Would be able to rest another regular as well.
    And as if by magic . . .https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2018/09/1...d-up-to-squad/

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Firstly I am going to say this is not a criticism of Ben Barba. The guy has been a pleasure to watch for most of this season and I personally think and hope he has a big part to play before he leaves these shores.

This thread is for Jonny Lomax.
    A local lad. A Saints fan at heart.
    A bloke who has had injury issues and who especially of late has had to adapt to accommodate others. He has had a brilliant season for me playing a different role in the haves.

With Barba having to retire from today's fixture following the captain's run Lomax found himself moved again back to the number one shirt.

I thought Jonny was magnificent tonight. He was MOM by a country mile by popular opinion I suspect.

None of us know what really happens behind the scenes.I'd like to think right now he thought hey Benny I'll show you what that St Helens #1 Jersey means kid and I want it back!
    Take a bow Jonny lad you were awesome tonight along with the rest of the squad that showed some great battling qualities tonight against some inexplicable video decisions.
    Well in Jonny proud of you tonight.
    Couldn't agree more!

I see Wire are resting a few this weekend

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Quote Originally Posted by oldun View Post
    I see Wire are resting a few this weekend
    Hill and Roberts so I believe

Got A Season Ticket

Agree with all the above and he's the perfect advertisement as to why we should stick with home grown players with talent. You can develop players with skills but you can't put heart where it doesn't want to be and he gives his all every time he takes the field.

I have met him on a number of occasions and you actually couldn't meet a nicer, more courteous lad. He's a credit to the club and the game of RL.

The half I live in is, but higher end near where the hospital used to be is in pieland.
    A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. - George S. Patton

In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity. - Winston Churchill

It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it. - General Douglas MacArthur

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    Agree with all the above and he's the perfect advertisement as to why we should stick with home grown players with talent. You can develop players with skills but you can't put heart where it doesn't want to be and he gives his all every time he takes the field.

I have met him on a number of occasions and you actually couldn't meet a nicer, more courteous lad. He's a credit to the club and the game of RL.
    I'm assuming you are talking about Lomax, if so, I have also met him a couple of times and I would second everything you have said about him.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post

100%, great lad.

Just a brilliant rugby player, very few players can see space and turn it into tries like he can. He broke 10 tackles against Catalan I think but what separates him to other players IMO is his vision and his toughness, it doesn't show up on a stats sheet but there aren't many in Super League who can read a defence as well as Jonny. He takes some stick because of how close to the line he plays but as long as the ball ends up where he wants it to, he doesn't care. Must be up there for Man of Steel in my opinion.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    100%, great lad.

Just a brilliant rugby player, very few players can see space and turn it into tries like he can. He broke 10 tackles against Catalan I think but what separates him to other players IMO is his vision and his toughness, it doesn't show up on a stats sheet but there aren't many in Super League who can read a defence as well as Jonny. He takes some stick because of how close to the line he plays but as long as the ball ends up where he wants it to, he doesn't care. Must be up there for Man of Steel in my opinion.
    Agree completely Tez, the degree to which he is underrated is staggering. The other standout feature of his play that often goes unnoticed is that he has great hands with the ball. Very few players can master the art of passing both ways the way he can and he tends to make great decisions close to the line with his accuracy.

I wish we had a few more like him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    100%, great lad.

For me it has always been his vision and awareness that sets him apart, the number of times he finds that killer pass or runs into a gap that no one else has seen. A great talent.