Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barba to stand off ?

Noooobie

Default Barba to stand off ?

If we are going to carry on with Ben season then we should push him up to stand off with Lomax FB .
    Teams are coming with a game plan now to slow ptb ,move up quick from the line to clamp Barba ,a move up would through the game plan out
    It was said after the semi that Catalan had the blue print to beat saints as did Warrington Wigan etc

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I did think of that early this week to expose his interest in playing for this club, but I thought Lomax at full back and Fages at stand off would be a better option, we would then have 2 players attacking the line instead of just Lomax overplaying things at the moment.

Noooobie

Maybe ,think Ben should be out for next game see how we go

Thought the same myself, but I come back to the point that at the moment, I don't think it's the position which is the problem, it's his attitude.

Got A Season Ticket

Thought the thread was going to be about sending him to stand off the pitch, think next match he needs to be dropped, something is not right and I don't think we will ever know what!

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Thought the thread was going to be about sending him to stand off the pitch, think next match he needs to be dropped, something is not right and I don't think we will ever know what!
    If there are any Barba apologists remaining after last night, they are delusional.

Totally disinterested, it's like we are playing a man down in a key position for the last couple of months.

I hope he bucks up for his remaining time here otherwise the memories of the outstanding player he is, and that he showed at the beginning of this season, will be badly tainted
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Got A Season Ticket

If If was in charge. I’d move Lomax to 1, rest Richardson and bring in Smith with Fages at 6.
    Barba is clearly in a mental funk at the moment and looks disinterested. But I still think he’s carrying an injury. He spends half of each match bent over on his haunches. Whatever’s bothering him needs to be sorted come playoff time. If that means no Barba for multiple weeks then so be it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Everyone talks about how the FB position has changed and yes I get it I do but surely there's still got to be some emphasis on defence. This isn't a pop at Barba but that's why I'd rate Hardaker above Tomkins. I think some of Barbas efforts on the line have been poor to say the least and thought many times that Lomax may have stopped a few of them but Lomax wouldn't have scored the tries he has.
    I don't know the answer, would teams just run at him more defending at 6?.. We are in a hole, it wouldn't do any harm trying it at Catalan I just don't think Holbrook is prepared to change anything.

Noooobie

I thought this thread was about Barbas tackle technique.

Got A Replica Shirt

I Think You Are Right About Ben Barber But You Would Think His Pride Would Whant Him To Finnish On a High But.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markthesaint View Post
    I thought this thread was about Barbas tackle technique.
    He needs to put in a head tackle on someone and get sent off, then we will be surprised to find there won't be much difference going down to 12 men.

Noooobie

Bring in the question of replacing Barba next year , do we go for superstar fullback or all-rounder ie wellens type
    Barba isn't the best defender and as proved the super star moves on ,for me all round fullback wins

Quote Originally Posted by gary588 View Post
    Bring in the question of replacing Barba next year , do we go for superstar fullback or all-rounder ie wellens type
    Barba isn't the best defender and as proved the super star moves on ,for me all round fullback wins
    I'd rather we spent the money on a big hard dog of a prop to be honest
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    I'd rather we spent the money on a big hard dog of a prop to be honest
    Me to ,spend transfer fee on Fafita
    And experienced half back

In The South Stand

The coach knows what the problem is and should prove himself by acting ,personally after 20 minutes last night I said the right thing to do is substitute Barba and not make excuses about the whole team., he just isn't interested and it is effecting

Got A Season Ticket

He is uninterested, not disinterested.

Quote Originally Posted by stroger View Post
    Both words mean exactly the same pal, don't get your point?

End result vis-a-vis Barba is exactly the same output either way you put it!
    Last edited by warringtonsaint; 1st September 2018 at 12:35.

Got A Season Ticket

No they don't

No they don't
    Not getting into a discussion about semantics pal, just look at a thesaurus. No further comment about this irrelevance.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Never mind Barba to stand off, I would rather he went to Australia now, rather than at the end of the season. People are saying we are playing with 12 men, but I think he's far more detrimental. If you assume a fully committed team has 13 players on the pitch each giving 100%, he is not only giving less than half of that he's also knocking 10-20% off almost everybody elses' game. He needs dropping, no matter how good he can be, as it is totally unfair on the rest of the team. They need to feel that each one of them is giving their all and supporting each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    Never mind Barba to stand off, I would rather he went to Australia now, rather than at the end of the season. People are saying we are playing with 12 men, but I think he's far more detrimental. If you assume a fully committed team has 13 players on the pitch each giving 100%, he is not only giving less than half of that he's also knocking 10-20% off almost everybody elses' game. He needs dropping, no matter how good he can be, as it is totally unfair on the rest of the team. They need to feel that each one of them is giving their all and supporting each other.
    You’re right, and also being in such a pivotal position it is VASTLY reducing the effectiveness of the whole attack. There’s no link up to the outside backs any more and we are making it up as we go along

In The South Stand

You can move Barba to 6 but it doesn't fix the pack getting beaten almost every week,that's the big problem. Sort out the pack and everything else will fall into place.

Default Barba to stand off ?

Hallelujah.

A judge should not be uninterested, but s/he should definitely be disinterested.

On topic ... I’m not sure moving Barba to 6 would make any difference. He’s bang out of form and moving him around is unlikely to change that or help the team IMO.

Learning All The Songs

I waited for Wilkin to come on and change the game, according to some people he seems to steady the ship and turn things around for us. All i saw was the usual ball stopping dead when it came to him, and poor tackles. When Peyroux returns i don’t think much will change in our defence, as one of his weak points is his tackling.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I waited for Wilkin to come on and change the game, according to some people he seems to steady the ship and turn things around for us. All i saw was the usual ball stopping dead when it came to him, and poor tackles. When Peyroux returns i don’t think much will change in our defence, as one of his weak points is his tackling.
    Stuck his self to first receiver, most of you would know the result.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would