Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v Wakefield

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default 19 man squad v Wakefield

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2018/08/1...lled-to-squad/

Saints have named their 19-man squad for Thursday’s Betfred Super League Super 8s Round 2 at Wakefield Trinity.
    Jack Ashworth and Aaron Smith have been recalled to the side with Luke Thompson missing through suspension.

The club has opted not to appeal the forward’s match penalty mindful of the fact that if unsuccessful, the ban could be increased.

Such a decision could see Thompson unable to play until September 8 if his penalty was increased to two games.

Justin Holbrook will therefore select his 17 from:

1. Jonny Lomax, 2. Tommy Makinson, 4. Mark Percival, 6. Theo Fages, 7. Matty Smith, 9. James Roby, 10. Kyle Amor, 11. Zeb Taia, 12. Jon Wilkin, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 14. Luke Douglas, 15. Morgan Knowles, 18. Danny Richardson, 19. Regan Grace, 20. Matty Lees, 21. Jack Ashworth, 23. Ben Barba, 25. Aaron Smith, 30. Matty Costello.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Starting A Programme Collection

Not a very strong squad, could well be another banana skin.

The inclusion of Aaron Smith suggests Roby could be in line for a rest, or maybe they are just giving him a taste of being in the 19.

If it's the latter then I assume Ashworth and Grace will come in for Swift and Thompson with the two Smiths missing out.

Barba, Makinson, Costello, Percival, Grace, Lomax, Richardson, Amor, Roby, Lees, Knowles, Taia, Wilkin

Fages, LMS, Ashworth, Douglas

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Smith will just cover the 19 with Costello, Lees and Ashworth having to play. I expect him and either Matty Smith or Costello will drop out.

Said it on the other thread but that pack really worries me against a big Wakefield team. It’s so important they complete their sets first half, if Wakefield have as much of the ball as Hudds did on Friday it’ll be more than 16-0.

Costello at centre is a concern as others have said but with Morgan and Swift out needs must.

Any team with Barba, Lomax and Roby has a chance, Percival will need a big game as well but it’s going to be a tough one I feel.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Smith will just cover the 19 with Costello, Lees and Ashworth having to play. I expect him and either Matty Smith or Costello will drop out.

Said it on the other thread but that pack really worries me against a big Wakefield team. It’s so important they complete their sets first half, if Wakefield have as much of the ball as Hudds did on Friday it’ll be more than 16-0.

Costello at centre is a concern as others have said but with Morgan and Swift out needs must

Any team with Barba, Lomax and Roby has a chance, Percival will need a big game as well but it’s going to be a tough one I feel.
    If Costello drops out then I assume they'd have to move Lomax to centre and then Fages or Matty Smith to half back. It's a shame Swift is injured as they could have played Makinson centre (not ideal I know) to replace Costello.

It's going to be a tough one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    The inclusion of Aaron Smith suggests Roby could be in line for a rest, or maybe they are just giving him a taste of being in the 19.

If it's the latter then I assume Ashworth and Grace will come in for Swift and Thompson with the two Smiths missing out.

Barba, Makinson, Costello, Percival, Grace, Lomax, Richardson, Amor, Roby, Lees, Knowles, Taia, Wilkin

Fages, LMS, Ashworth, Douglas
    Difficult to decide who will play. Above looks right, but I would not be surprised if we see Smith (M) come in. I’m glad Ashworth is fit as not having him to replace Luke would have left us really weak in the props. In a way I’m glad Luke is having an unforced rest. Two weeks will be good for him. Ok I’m going out on a limb here and think we will get a result. Well I’ve got to think there has to be a reason to get caught up in the return home detours.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Costello at centre is a concern as others have said but with Morgan and Swift out needs must.

Yep. Looking after the ball is going to be of paramount importance.

No Bentley, big ask for Aaron Smith if he plays? As has been mentioned, control of the ball and the kicking game are vital in this one because the forwards will have a big job on their hands.

Starting A Programme Collection

If Costello drops out then I assume they'd have to move Lomax to centre and then Fages or Matty Smith to half back. It's a shame Swift is injured as they could have played Makinson centre (not ideal I know) to replace Costello.

I was thinking along the same lines. Lomax to centre with Fages at 6 and either one of the Smiths on the bench as cover for Roby.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

It really is going to be a tough one as you say because whoever plays down that side is going to have to contend with Bill Topou. For mine, along with Percival he's been the best left sided centre in the competition this year- powerfull, fast and knows the way to the try line.

I'd go with Lomax in the centres and put Fages in the halves. Matty Smith on the interchange.

Wakefield are in form, but Saints really need to be winning this game and get back on track.

Regards,

STEVO

In The South Stand

Luke Thompson’s one match ban has me worried about this game. Regardless of the outcome, it will be interesting to see whether we can keep our discipline, not give away field position through penalties, complete our sets and use a long kicking game to relieve any pressure on our line.

I just hope there aren’t any signs of panic, particularly in the first half.

Noooobie

I would look at playing the following Costello, Makinson, Lomax, Percival, Grace, Barba, Richardson, Amor, Roby, Douglas, Wilkin, Taia, Knowles leaving LMS, Lees, Fages and Ashworth on the bench

Just a thought ????

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    I was thinking along the same lines. Lomax to centre with Fages at 6 and either one of the Smiths on the bench as cover for Roby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    It really is going to be a tough one as you say because whoever plays down that side is going to have to contend with Bill Topou. For mine, along with Percival he's been the best left sided centre in the competition this year- powerfull, fast and knows the way to the try line.

I'd go with Lomax in the centres and put Fages in the halves. Matty Smith on the interchange.

Wakefield are in form, but Saints really need to be winning this game and get back on track.

Regards,

STEVO
    As much as I am not normally a fan of square pegs in round holes, I have to agree with you two here. I think it could potentially be a very damaging night for Costello against Tupou. He was all over the place for 2 of Huddersfield's tries last week and in order to protect him I would prefer to see Lomax out there, with Fages at 6. Failing that, simply switching Makinson and Costello around would help a little bit as Makinson is normally quite good at shutting the play down by picking his man out and I think he could do a job on Tupou like that. Also, I haven't seen anything from Costello yet to suggest we would lose much in an attacking sense by moving him from centre.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyl123 View Post
    I would look at playing the following Costello, Makinson, Lomax, Percival, Grace, Barba, Richardson, Amor, Roby, Douglas, Wilkin, Taia, Knowles leaving LMS, Lees, Fages and Ashworth on the bench

Just a thought ????
    That might not be a bad shout in terms of moving Costello out of the firing line in defence. Is full-back meant to be his preferred position too? It's quite a few positional swaps when maybe one or two could do the job, that's the only thing.

In The South Stand

Just a thought ????
    I don’t think I’d mess about with positions like that. The only change I’d make would be Makinson at centre and Costello on the wing.

Noooobie

He has played there before, Just think might be worth trying something different and pull Costello out of the firing line

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

He has played there before, Just think might be worth trying something different and pull Costello out of the firing line
    But that would mean Barba playing in the halves and having to defend in the line. His defense has never been the best and with him carrying a knock too, he'd get a lot of traffic coming his way I'd bet.

Regards,

STEVO

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I don’t think I’d move Lomax personally. He’s not the best defender and I think asking an attacking stand off who’s played on the left all year to then switch sides and do a job on one of the best in the competition would be a real challenge. Richardson, Lomax and Knowles on that side would struggle to deal with him I think so I’d leave him at 6.

He could potentially switch Percival for a week and pair him with Makinson. It’s another positional change but he’s the best defensive centre we have in the 19.

Costello on the wing and Makinson at centre is a possibility as well but as with Lomax, asking a full back/centre to then go and defend out there is a real ask.

Thinking about it, I think I’d consider moving Percival to the right in all honesty and slot Costello on the other side. It’s not ideal but it’s only one game and I think Percival is the most likely to shut Tupou down. It’s a change yes but I just think it would be simpler all round. Hopefully Barba would be fit enough to make up for his loss on the left.

Tough one.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

I don’t think I’d move Lomax personally. He’s not the best defender and I think asking an attacking stand off who’s played on the left all year to then switch sides and do a job on one of the best in the competition would be a real challenge. Richardson, Lomax and Knowles on that side would struggle to deal with him I think so I’d leave him at 6.

He could potentially switch Percival for a week and pair him with Makinson. It’s another positional change but he’s the best defensive centre we have in the 19.

Costello on the wing and Makinson at centre is a possibility as well but as with Lomax, asking a full back/centre to then go and defend out there is a real ask.

Thinking about it, I think I’d consider moving Percival to the right in all honesty and slot Costello on the other side. It’s not ideal but it’s only one game and I think Percival is the most likely to shut Tupou down. It’s a change yes but I just think it would be simpler all round. Hopefully Barba would be fit enough to make up for his loss on the left.

Tough one.
    That's a good shout shout as well mate, didn't think of that one. Probably the least disruptive option, we would obviously just lose that Barba/Taia/Lomax/Percival combination that's worked so well for a good chunk of the season. But no option is without its downfall.

R L Moore officiates with Kendall on the VHS. Don’t recall him as a ref before. But I can’t remember what happened yesterday.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    R L Moore officiates with Kendall on the VHS. Don’t recall him as a ref before. But I can’t remember what happened yesterday.
    I bet your wife remembers every word you said, or in some cases didn't say.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I think we should have either Percy or Tommy M against Tupou, but if our pack are not up to it, and we keep dropping ball it won't matter anyway.

In The South Stand

I think Saints should take the cheque book to Wakefield and try to sign a couple of those big lads.

Tough one.
    I agree. Put Percival at right centre. Put Costello left centre. Just to minimise disruption & hopefully help us deal with Toupou a bit better

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    I think Saints should take the cheque book to Wakefield and try to sign a couple of those big lads.
    Quite