Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake Injuries

Banned

Default Fake Injuries

One aspect that we've touched on before, but is becoming more prevalent as a tactic, is the deliberate feigning injury. Its being used especially against us by teams that are packed with big blokes in order to give them regular breathers so they can maintain the fast line-speed in defence and allow them to give their all in briefer spells. It also disrupts the flow of the game to stop us getting on a roll.

Given McNamara's background at Bratfud, whose entire gameplay was steamrollering the more skillful opposition, it's no surprise that Catalans deployed this [cheating] tactic against us. The game was stop-start throughout, with much of that down to injuries that miraculously cleared up after the requisite time that allowed their big guys to recover some energy levels.

But what can we do about it? Just as Cas (last season) and us (this season) have brought back flair rugby to replace the boring, monotonous grind of big blokes slamming into each other, the coaches who adhere to the 'let's pack the team with big blokes' mentality have come up with a new, cheating way to nullify skill and we're heading back to square one.

Default Fake Injuries

It’s a really difficult one. The game has had to smarten up with regards to head injuries, and any reversal of the direction of travel on that would be very difficult to justify, as the safety of contact sport is coming under increasing public and legal scrutiny. Unfortunately teams have been quick to take cynical advantage of the new safety protocols. I’m really not sure how it can be fixed - if anything I think it would need to be a collective ‘gentleman’s agreement’ among the clubs, but who knows how long that would last.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

This is something that’s been annoying me all season and has creeped into our game unfortunately.

I think the way to eradicate it is for the referee to use the same rule seen in football. If a player is injured but ok to carry on in the game without being substituted the referee can request them to stand on the sideline until the ball comes back into play. Our game could adopt something similar but use the player stands on the sideline until the next tackle. Just something to think about but it would end this play acting overnight especially if the side ‘play acting’ is defending their own line for example whilst now a man down.

Learning All The Songs

Percival and Richardson have had their share of 'fake injuries', although the latter attracting a couple of unpunished late shots too, so I'm wary of criticising other teams too much.

Pretty sure one of the hudds physios got a talking too off the ref at one point on Friday but in truth there's little they can do about it with so much focus on head injuries etc.

Think the worst I've seen was the wire game a few weeks back. Can't remember who it was who went down with a leg injury, the ref rightly played on, we won a goal line drop out, then the wire player miraculously jumped up only to lie back down on the goal line and the physio randomly start holding his head. Clock stopped, mission accomplished.

Perhaps a mandatory short period of time off the field for any player who causes the ref to have to stop the clock?

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Percival and Richardson have had their share of 'fake injuries', although the latter attracting a couple of unpunished late shots too, so I'm wary of criticising other teams too much.

Pretty sure one of the hudds physios got a talking too off the ref at one point on Friday but in truth there's little they can do about it with so much focus on head injuries etc.

Think the worst I've seen was the wire game a few weeks back. Can't remember who it was who went down with a leg injury, the ref rightly played on, we won a goal line drop out, then the wire player miraculously jumped up only to lie back down on the goal line and the physio randomly start holding his head. Clock stopped, mission accomplished.

Perhaps a mandatory short period of time off the field for any player who causes the ref to have to stop the clock?
    The only way round it is for the game as a whole to highlight the shamefulness of incidents like this - so ex pros on the sky team and social media as well as fans need to make fools of these cheats when it is so obviously the case. The refs have also made a rod for their own back by stopping play for any form of injury when that was never the edict. It's a sad situation that this even needs discussing to be honest

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Ian Henderson started all this crap at Catalans. You could guarantee that if Catalans had a narrow lead with 2 minutes to go in a game, Henderson would be down with cramp.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

I'd love to hear what Knowles would say about that one in the Semi, probably "Give him a pi55ing Oscar" !

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Its RL'S equivalent of diving. Make them play on and take the drop letting the physio's take them off.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Ian Henderson started all this crap at Catalans. You could guarantee that if Catalans had a narrow lead with 2 minutes to go in a game, Henderson would be down with cramp.
    I was thinking the very same,he was terrible for it. Anytime they needed to defend their line he would go down. It was so regular it became comical.

Giants were blatantly doing it. I really hope that this can be eradicated from the game.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    Giants were blatantly doing it. I really hope that this can be eradicated from the game.
    It was pretty embrassing on Friday night! That said the Giants are far from unique in doing this.

No need to stop the game if the physio comes on.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Upside
    Non Members

All teams do it, just as bad is the diving when about to play the ball to try to con the ref. Why players actively manilpulate the rules to con the ref and then blame the ref for making a wrong decision, that's exactly what they are trying to do

I remember joey Barton once defending his play acting on doing his best for his team whilst complaining that a composing player was cheating, many players from most if not all teams now do the same

Got A Replica Shirt

If a player goes down with a head injury, then play must be stopped, this is a given.

A way that fake injuries might be dealt with is that the ‘injured’ player should leave the field for six tackles (no time limit, even if it’s the last three tackles for one team and the first three for the other, make what you want of that), or when the ball goes out of play, but don’t give the responsibility to the officials to decide on a length of time, there’s enough things they cant do properly already.

Any other injuries can be dealt with ‘on the run’ as they used to be a few years ago, and let common sense prevail about play going on around the ‘injured’ player.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by kaygee View Post
    If a player goes down with a head injury, then play must be stopped, this is a given.

A way that fake injuries might be dealt with is that the ‘injured’ player should leave the field for six tackles (no time limit, even if it’s the last three tackles for one team and the first three for the other, make what you want of that), or when the ball goes out of play, but don’t give the responsibility to the officials to decide on a length of time, there’s enough things they cant do properly already.

Any other injuries can be dealt with ‘on the run’ as they used to be a few years ago, and let common sense prevail about play going on around the ‘injured’ player.
    Wouldn't that punish a genuine injured player and their team

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

All games are recorded for RFL review it would be quite easy to seek out the obvious fakers, these are the ones who suddenly go to ground in back play with no-one around them. You obviously have to give them the benefit of the doubt but if they are doing it on a regular basis every game then the RFL should be able to give a caution, its just a matter of monitoring this kind of tactic a bit more. The RFL could also advise the club a certain player is going down with a head injury on a regular occurrence and on medical grounds they should be subject to a one game suspension rest.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

In you example it may slow the PTB down after the 3rd while the ref allows the injure player back on. If it is not a head injury and the player is not impeding play I would play on. If the player is impeding play, then move the PTB 5-10 mtrs in field. Obviously you may need to stop for a serious injury - broken leg etc. I'm not sure there is an easy solution. You can pick holes in all the suggestions on here including my own.

Got A Replica Shirt

I’m not trying to write new rules, I’m trying to indicate that feigning injury should have a price to pay, and the officials can’t make decisions with injuries so they all must be treated in the same way.

If play stops for an injury, genuine or not, make the player leave the field, if he’s injured, he’ll undergo H.I.A, if he is otherwise injured he’ll be substituted, if he’s going back on, he’ll have to wait a stipulated time or for a certain point (next time the ball is out of play, certain number of tackles) in the game to return to the field.

Feigning injuries must be deterred. Having to leave your team short of numbers MIGHT make players and coaches think twice about cheating.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I'm not so sure to be honest, it's not like football whereby a ref asks a physio to come on the pitch.. our physios run on to the field straight away, sometimes the defender is nowhere near play, twenty yards behind..

So long as they're not in the way, let's play on, absolutely no need to stop the game..

Was it ratchford who rose again when he realised the ref wasn't stopping the match when we had a roll on

Any injured player be required to stand on the sideline until that set of six tackles is complete.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post
    Any injured player be required to stand on the sideline until that set of six tackles is complete.

Punishing a genuine injury?

I'm not sure there's a great way to address this, other than to carry on playing unless a head injury, which people can still fake sadly

Upside
    Non Members

I’m not trying to write new rules, I’m trying to indicate that feigning injury should have a price to pay, and the officials can’t make decisions with injuries so they all must be treated in the same way.

If play stops for an injury, genuine or not, make the player leave the field, if he’s injured, he’ll undergo H.I.A, if he is otherwise injured he’ll be substituted, if he’s going back on, he’ll have to wait a stipulated time or for a certain point (next time the ball is out of play, certain number of tackles) in the game to return to the field.

Feigning injuries must be deterred. Having to leave your team short of numbers MIGHT make players and coaches think twice about cheating.
    I agree it needs to stop, just not sure I cannot think of a fair way of doing it

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    Yes they were a nightmare!! Ruined the game for me.

Scrum clock and shot clock would help and may be force them to come off for a 30 minute breather for any type of head knock.

It's just getting ridiculous. Turning fans off.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    All games are recorded for RFL review it would be quite easy to seek out the obvious fakers, these are the ones who suddenly go to ground in back play with no-one around them. You obviously have to give them the benefit of the doubt but if they are doing it on a regular basis every game then the RFL should be able to give a caution, its just a matter of monitoring this kind of tactic a bit more. The RFL could also advise the club a certain player is going down with a head injury on a regular occurrence and on medical grounds they should be subject to a one game suspension rest.
    Good point. Could eradicate it in two weekends if they put their minds to it. Bust deciding how to run the comp at the moment though!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post
    I'd love for this or something similar (60 seconds/next break in play/fixed number of tackles) to happen however it's completely contrary to the HIA protocols.

A genuinely injured played could sustain further damage by attempting to continue playing when realistically they should be removed from the field.

As soon as the decision over staying down or not is put into the hands of the player and has a potential negative influence on their team-mates then the RFL's duty of care is compromised.