Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holbrook's rotation policy

Noooobie

Default Holbrook's rotation policy

Im not coming on here to criticize holbrook because he has been fantastic for our club and community since he arrived. One thing i would change about him is this " aint broke dont fix it" policy he has got with the squad. Today we looked knackered from start to finish. Catalan was fantastic btw. Holbrook has said after the game barba isnt fit. I just think its time to start rotating the squad giving lads a rest otherwise it could come and f**k us up. Thoughts?

Default Holbrook's rotation policy

Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    Im not coming on here to criticize holbrook because he has been fantastic for our club and community since he arrived. One thing i would change about him is this " aint broke dont fix it" policy he has got with the squad. Today we looked knackered from start to finish. Catalan was fantastic btw. Holbrook has said after the game barba isnt fit. I just think its time to start rotating the squad giving lads a rest otherwise it could come and f**k us up. Thoughts?
    I agree with Holbrook on this. Put your best team out each week, I reckon. We were knackered today because we did nothing but defend.

Having said that, Barba looks injured to me and if that’s the case he shouldn’t be playing.

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

We have 1st team squads for a reason. The season is a marathon not a sprint. And theres more to Barba than just being not fit.

Starting A Programme Collection craigo12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I agree with Holbrook on this. Put your best team out each week, I reckon. We were knackered today because we did nothing but defend.

Having said that, Barba looks injured to me and if that’s the case he shouldn’t be playing.
    I don't think he's injured, his head is probably back in Australia. You don't go from doing what he did at the earlier part of the season to looking like he is now just because of a knock.
    "When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro."

Quote Originally Posted by craigo12 View Post
    I don't think he's injured, his head is probably back in Australia. You don't go from doing what he did at the earlier part of the season to looking like he is now just because of a knock.
    Of course you can, if you can’t run properly. Taia made a break in the second half and he couldn’t keep up with him. That suggests to me a physical rather than a mental problem.

In The South Stand

Play your best team when you can,Barba is carrying a knock it's the time to give him a rest now and bring him back fully fit later in the super 8's.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Barba doesnt look injured to me. He looks disinterested.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Learning All The Songs

If everyone’s available, play your best team, simple as that.
    It’s easy to say he should be rotating players after a defeat, but say we’d won 5 in a row, Holbrook rotates the team and we lose the next game.. people would be saying why is he rotating a winning team.

Resting players doesn't work likely would have lost if we had rested players.

Sent from my E1R161 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Barba doesnt look injured to me. He looks disinterested.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    He has a load of strapping above one of knees and he’s hobbling when he walks.

Noooobie

I agree with play your best available team but you cant go through a season with the same 17-18 week in week out

Starting A Programme Collection craigo12's Avatar

He has a load of strapping above one of knees and he’s hobbling when he walks.
    Then the question needs to be asked, why is he being played? Also why is he choosing to play if he is not going to perform?

Don't get me wrong, I have never criticised Barba, his earlier performances were outstanding. But something feels very off right now.

It's either mental or physical, but someone here is making the wrong decision.
    "When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro."

The sooner Makinson is rotated away from Centre back to the Wing the better.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by craigo12 View Post
    Then the question needs to be asked, why is he being played? Also why is he choosing to play if he is not going to perform?

Don't get me wrong, I have never criticised Barba, his earlier performances were outstanding. But something feels very off right now.

It's either mental or physical, but someone here is making the wrong decision.
    There isn't a great deal Barba can do when the forwards were getting rolled on so much; his opportunities were limited almost all of the game. He had no time on the ball whatsoever as a consequence. I wish some people would appreciate the game at times.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    There isn't a great deal Barba can do when the forwards were getting rolled on so much; his opportunities were limited almost all of the game. He had no time on the ball whatsoever as a consequence. I wish some people would appreciate the game at times.
    Spot on. Barba needs space. Space that is created by the forwards rolling us down field. That hasn’t happened for the last few weeks so he’s not had the same opportunities like he did earlier in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Exactly,if your pack is getting dominated as our's did today then the halfbacks and strike players have little time and room to work with.

Does not help that we seemed to revert to using Tommy, Swift and Regan carrying the first play the ball up the middle so many times. Catalans well they used their props. Although still a bit angry. I am slowly getting bored with Tommy’s parallel running. It achieved nothing. I think he is a great player, but he ain’t a centre. Even Percy started doing parallel runs.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Been coming a few weeks, Richardson was poor again, and has been last few weeks other than his kick at Wire, which has coincided with Barba being poor also. It has to be expected with a young lad learning his game, so no drastic action required. Lomax has been our star the last few weeks, but he struggled today..

I said before the match I was worried about big packs, especially after the Hull Quarter final. Catalans played the conditions perfectly, ran hard and straight and made one mistake first half. A couple of things went their way, a couple of loose balls for tries for example which could have gone anywhere. Had Roby managed to get the ball down, or Richardson's kick off been 2" shorter, it may have been a different game..

On another point, how scummy is Edwards, passing the ball into the crowd, which I believe hit a woman in the face, I know the steward was informed, but let's be realistic, he's not going to do anything

Anyway, there's one trophy to play for, and you don't become a bad side overnight

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Does not help that we seemed to revert to using Tommy, Swift and Regan carrying the first play the ball up the middle so many times. Catalans well they used their props.
    I think that’s pretty standard to be honest mate - all teams use their back three when they’re coming out of their own half. The reason Catalans didn’t use theirs today is because they were never in their own half.

Noooobie

McNamara rested lots of players last week and it didn’t hurt them. Do you think any of their fans are bothered about the loss to Wigan now?

In The South Stand

Holbrook should be criticised. Yeah, a lack of rotation hasn’t cost us in the league (yet) but that means nothing if we don’t win the big games like today or like the play-off Semi-Final. Catalans rested five or six last week and looked fresh and full of energy today, we looked tired and lethargic from the first hooter.

Also, what an utterly baffling post-match interview he gave. “Benny wasn’t fully fit today”. Okay Justin, why has he played the last couple of weeks then? Also, if he’s not fit, why did we persevere and not throw Theo Fages on at 6, moving Lomax to 1?

I like Holbrook but he’s got it wrong around this game. He’s a young, relatively inexperienced coach and will make these mistakes.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Barba could be 100% fit but it wouldn't have made much difference the way Catalans stampeded us. What does worry me is what I,ve being saying for over a month now his defensive reads are very poor.

As for Holbrook, I think he's known for a while now that he can't compete up the middle with most teams, team spirit has got him out of jail but as the pressure mounts then the cracks will appear.

I think that’s pretty standard to be honest mate - all teams use their back three when they’re coming out of their own half. The reason Catalans didn’t use theirs today is because they were never in their own half.
    But it did not work we got so little yards. JH should have changed it. Plus will be interesting what Amors minutes were he did not seem to be on much at all. (Unless he was so ineffective I thought he was off). What annoys me is I can handle being outplayed but to be outplayed because 80% of the team were not up for it makes it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Holbrook should be criticised. Yeah, a lack of rotation hasn’t cost us in the league (yet) but that means nothing if we don’t win the big games like today or like the play-off Semi-Final. Catalans rested five or six last week and looked fresh and full of energy today, we looked tired and lethargic from the first hooter.

Also, what an utterly baffling post-match interview he gave. “Benny wasn’t fully fit today”. Okay Justin, why has he played the last couple of weeks then? Also, if he’s not fit, why did we persevere and not throw Theo Fages on at 6, moving Lomax to 1?

I like Holbrook but he’s got it wrong around this game. He’s a young, relatively inexperienced coach and will make these mistakes.
    Re your first point TBF any time we have had a longer break between games we have been poor in the next game. The rest (although I have not heard his interview) if true is a mystery.

Starting A Programme Collection

For me we should've rested a few players last week. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but I was flabbergasted that he went with a full side last week. Even if we'd have rested players and lost we would still have been 8 points clear. We put ourselves in a great position to rest players and I feel we've blown that opportunity. We may still have lost today but we'd have given ourselves a much better chance.