Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Play offs plus middle 8

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    I have said this for a while, he looks highly unfit, its proof how desperate we are for top referees, he is not full time and has a top job at Sellafield, a match recently in France he was exactly the same, big errors. These clubs are fighting for the chance to be in Super League, they deserve better, touch judges on the whole are also hopeless.
    How do you make referees better?

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Electric Shock Collars.

Seriously. We need more of a pool. The game has moved on and I’m not sure one official can cope. I also think we give refs grief but some major issues for me are the standard of the touch judges. They rarely get involved in on field decisions such as offsides etc.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Perhaps two referees like in Oz. And mandatory eye sights.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Wonder what will happen with the field refs and video refs if Toronto get into Superleague, if I remember rightly its possible a ref can be in charge of 2 games and at least a video ref position. If all these match officials are in Toronto for a Friday game they are going to be out of the scene for the full weekend.

Also touch judges and in goal judges are part time who pays for there amount of time off work.

Got A Season Ticket

trying to improve the refs requires the rest of the game, Players, Fans, Staff, commentators, RFL to stop putting pressure on them and scrutinise every action, very few people will perform to the best of their ability while under pressure and the ones who do are very rarely going to take a position up as a RL ref, there are far more lucrative ways to make living if you are that type of person.

There are a couple of areas that would also help, increase the pool of refs and ear mark individuals who have the makings of becoming a good ref and provide assistance (both financial and career wise) to help them improve. Pay refs a decent living wage to make the career choice attractive.

But if there was one thing that could be done right now it would be only give what you see (or TJ reported to you). My major frustration is a replay that shows that the ref is wrong, if that is the case then the ref never saw an offence but worked on an assumption, I don't care how many calls are incorrect if they follow this line as that is part of sport, but to give advantage to a team based on a probability shouldn't happen.

In The South Stand

Competition for places, just like a team.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Competition for places, just like a team.

So you don't reward, you just drop them when they make an error?

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geordie_saint View Post
    48-22 to Leeds against Toulouse this afternoon
    I've read today that Ryan Hall has played his last game for the Rhinos with knee ligament damage sustained in that game. It did look like a bad one, straight away.

Also, has anybody seen anything of the half back they've got back from the other code? Previously in Castleford's academy- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/45179878

Sounds like a player to keep an eye on.

Regards,

STEVO

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I've read today that Ryan Hall has played his last game for the Rhinos with knee ligament damage sustained in that game. It did look like a bad one, straight away.

Also, has anybody seen anything of the half back they've got back from the other code? Previously in Castleford's academy- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/45179878

Regards,

STEVO
    A pity for Hall's tenure with the Rhino's to end like that. One of the best wingers we have had in SL. Hope he is back to his best in the NRL.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post

Regards,

STEVO
    McClelland was rated higher than Truman when they were playing together in the cas under 19s Scottish rugby union offered him good money to go there I know cas were keen to get him back leeds must have made him a good offer I would imagine

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    McClelland was rated higher than Truman when they were playing together in the cas under 19s Scottish rugby union offered him good money to go there I know cas were keen to get him back leeds must have made him a good offer I would imagine
    Great to see young talent choosing league and coming back to our game

In The South Stand

So you don't reward, you just drop them when they make an error?
    Competition, just like players. Poor performance, someone else gets the jersey, which is why, as another poster pointed out, we need a larger pool of refs. Reward? What for doing a good job? The rewards would come by getting the chance to officiate in the big games, just as a good player is rewarded by being picked for the big matches.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Competition, just like players. Poor performance, someone else gets the jersey, which is why, as another poster pointed out, we need a larger pool of refs. Reward? What for doing a good job? The rewards would come by getting the chance to officiate in the big games, just as a good player is rewarded by being picked for the big matches.

That's negative reinforcement, punishment if you do wrong, but ignored if you do well. A very poor motivator of people as it relays purely on fear of the punishment.
    It also assumes that a referee will not make a mistake, this is unrealistic. They will make errors, using your suggestion they will be dropped, for another ref who will also make an error, who will be dropped. This would require a very big pool and revolving door of refs.
    More refs would be helpful and we have a bigger pool, but using only punishment to raise performance will not attract more to do the job, hence the negative cycle we find ourselves in.

The answer is a combination, as a very poor performance already sees them dropped to the league below for a week, I don't have an issue with this but it must be balanced with positive reinforcement.

The comparison to players isn't fair, there is a massive support network for players, they are built up over years, they are one of 13 on the pitch at anyone time, they don't receive persistent abuse from both sets of fans and critical analysis from TV replays to highlight errors, often a mistake is explained by an opposition player doing well, so the positive is highlighted not the negative.

In summary, the continual call for punishment of referees will not stop mistakes or improve officiating, it needs addressing at source not after the error

Learning All The Songs Mac Saint's Avatar

Correct. They got Truman from Bradford when they realised McClelland was leaving for Scottish RU. Good player and received their academy individual accolades in his final year at Cas including England selection.

Good signing for Leeds. He can’t play until next year though.

I reckon that signals the end of the road for Jordan Lilley though. What promise that lad has when he first came through. From the outside looking in, I don’t think he wanted it enough. Modern day professionals such be in peak condition and he never looked like it for me.
    This wonderful St. Helens OUTFIT

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by st. etrigan View Post
    trying to improve the refs requires the rest of the game, Players, Fans, Staff, commentators, RFL to stop putting pressure on them and scrutinise every action, very few people will perform to the best of their ability while under pressure and the ones who do are very rarely going to take a position up as a RL ref, there are far more lucrative ways to make living if you are that type of person.

There are a couple of areas that would also help, increase the pool of refs and ear mark individuals who have the makings of becoming a good ref and provide assistance (both financial and career wise) to help them improve. Pay refs a decent living wage to make the career choice attractive.

But if there was one thing that could be done right now it would be only give what you see (or TJ reported to you). My major frustration is a replay that shows that the ref is wrong, if that is the case then the ref never saw an offence but worked on an assumption, I don't care how many calls are incorrect if they follow this line as that is part of sport, but to give advantage to a team based on a probability shouldn't happen.
    Spot on st. etrigan

Banned

Wire put a full team out and got banjoed by Cas. Appreciate they'll have had their minds on next week, but I hope they're a bit busted.

Starting A Programme Collection

Both teams had players missing to be honest!

Got A Season Ticket

It is a saints re union with the wolf pack v rovers.

O Brien, Wheeler, Dixon, Emmitt on show along with Quinlan, Lee and Masoe

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

I thought the Toronto ground staff could have done a better job removing the markings from other sports played on the ground hard to tell where the lines for the game were

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

I thought the Toronto ground staff could have done a better job removing the markings from other sports played on the ground hard to tell where the lines for the game were
    It's a plastic pitch, pretty sure those markings are permanent

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    It's a plastic pitch, pretty sure those markings are permanent
    They are that's why their different colours

In The South Stand

That's negative reinforcement, punishment if you do wrong, but ignored if you do well. A very poor motivator of people as it relays purely on fear of the punishment.
    It also assumes that a referee will not make a mistake, this is unrealistic. They will make errors, using your suggestion they will be dropped, for another ref who will also make an error, who will be dropped. This would require a very big pool and revolving door of refs.
    More refs would be helpful and we have a bigger pool, but using only punishment to raise performance will not attract more to do the job, hence the negative cycle we find ourselves in.

The answer is a combination, as a very poor performance already sees them dropped to the league below for a week, I don't have an issue with this but it must be balanced with positive reinforcement.

The comparison to players isn't fair, there is a massive support network for players, they are built up over years, they are one of 13 on the pitch at anyone time, they don't receive persistent abuse from both sets of fans and critical analysis from TV replays to highlight errors, often a mistake is explained by an opposition player doing well, so the positive is highlighted not the negative.

In summary, the continual call for punishment of referees will not stop mistakes or improve officiating, it needs addressing at source not after the error
    I don't disagree with what you're saying but you posed the question. I can see nothing in your replies that addresses the problem ("positive reinforcement" means what, exactly?), only condemnation of the ideas put forward. Easy to condemn, not so easy to come up with solutions. Of course in an ideal world there would be a larger pool of officials, they would be better trained and they would be paid on results (not quite sure how that works, you've done your job, have a pay rise?!), etc, etc. However, as things stand there are some very poor officials affecting the game at the moment. Thayler struts around making the strangest of decisions and seemingly intent upon making himself the star of the show (shades of Steve Ganson?), Hicks who appears to hold a Wigan passport and Childs who can have a good game but then follows it with a stinker. The refs must refer to the touch judges more often to get things right. I do have sympathy for some of the officials, although Hicks and Thayler are not amongst them.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I agree. I didn't think they would make it before it started but I assumed it would be Toulouse away that would trip them up. That is still a tricky game but winning it and Halifax away is now not enough.
    Widnes are gone... got stuffed in Toulouse this evening.

Hull KR, Salford (game in hand), Leeds, Toulouse and Toronto all now on 4pts... London on 2pts and still within a sniff of the MPG if they beat Toulouse at home.

I reckon the MPG will be between Toulouse and Toronto

Salford and Leeds will be ok I think, then it’s any 3 from Toronto, Toulouse and Hull KR. I think I agree, Toronto v Toulouse in the MPG and Toronto will win it