Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

View Poll Results: Give Wilkin a 12 month contract?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, of course!

47 62.67%
  • No, he’s better off on BBC or brewing up.

28 37.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon Wilkin Poll

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I agree.

However I also believe we will be a better team when Paulo is on the pitch too and with Knowles getting better and better, it's time for Wilkin to step aside.
    That was the reason I said no, if Paulo has been signed as a ball playing back rower with leadership captain skills then its possible Wilkin could get in the way. Also Knowles has the ability to step up his involvement and it appears Holbrook is a big fan especially when he gets involves in a set play results in a score.
    Wilkin adds composure and organisation but if other players can do that next season then Wilkin as mentioned can finish at the top of his game instead of struggling in the way Wello suffered.

Learning All The Songs

Should have gone years ago, no more please

In The South Stand

I voted for an extension because he has had a good season and as a mark of respect. After all, Holbrook and the Board will make the decision without relying on a poll on here.

It’s clearly hard for sportspeople to finally admit that their professional days are over but JW appears to be sensible and intelligent. Maybe if he is leaving, he should leave the game and not just the club while he is still on top.

His business is brilliant. I wish there was something similar down here instead of the awful Costa, Starbucks, Nero etc. In addition, he should be nailed on for a media career. If Dion Dublin can get a £50,000 grant for media training (something to do with diversity - probably because he played for Man U) I don’t see why a lad form Hull can’t get the same.

And no, I’m not a family member or secretary of his fan club.

Default Jw/dd

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I voted for an extension because he has had a good season and as a mark of respect. After all, Holbrook and the Board will make the decision without relying on a poll on here.

It’s clearly hard for sportspeople to finally admit that their professional days are over but JW appears to be sensible and intelligent. Maybe if he is leaving, he should leave the game and not just the club while he is still on top.

His business is brilliant. I wish there was something similar down here instead of the awful Costa, Starbucks, Nero etc. In addition, he should be nailed on for a media career. If Dion Dublin can get a £50,000 grant for media training (something to do with diversity - probably because he played for Man U) I don’t see why a lad form Hull can’t get the same.

I think Jon would prefer to move on with more trophies under his belt, so this could be his final season. Better to burn out than to fade away.

Dion Dublin is more likeable and engaging ex-sportsman who talks more sense than someone like Ian Wright, though the BBC is corrupt and selfserving corporation that seems to think diversity means ignoring the indigenous population completely while collecting TV licence fees, so you have a point with diversity.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post

Think you have said all the right things. Also, I think this poll (although I voted) is a bit disrespectful for someone who has played so long and is still playing well.

Noooobie

Let’s not wait till he has a poor season and have weeks of Wilkin bashing on here! Time to go with head held high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noooobie

He deserves a lot more credit for his years of commitment and service than some on this site are prepared to give him. It's not his fault he was played out of position for a long period of time to paper over the cracks on squads that weren't good enough. Based on this years performances and given the positive influence he has had whilst on the pitch and playing in his correct position he is worth another year no question.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Think you have said all the right things. Also, I think this poll (although I voted) is a bit disrespectful for someone who has played so long and is still playing well.
    How on earth is asking people their opinion disrespectful?

I’m sorry I just don’t see it.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

I think it's more to do with the wording used. If it was a straight yes or no then fair enough, but the "better off brewing up" line will rattle a few, even though it was obviously said tongue in cheek.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I think it's more to do with the wording used. If it was a straight yes or no then fair enough, but the "better off brewing up" line will rattle a few, even though it was obviously said tongue in cheek.
    Theirs been far worse posted about Jon Wilkin on here over the years to be fair
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

I just wouldn't want people voting on whether or not I kept my Job. Even though it's hypothetical.

I just wouldn't want people voting on whether or not I kept my Job. Even though it's hypothetical.
    If you are splitting hairs, then so will I.

Nobody is voting on him keeping his job. Even if a vote on a forum asking the opinion of others DID carry any kind of swa, which it doesn’t, His fixed term contract ends so his job can’t be kept in the form it is now.

He can be offered a new/extending contract, which can be negotiated on different terms to his expired contract.

I state at the beginning that I would give him a year, and I think the club will too.

Having said all that, I think it’s a vote of confidence looking at the result.

If you are splitting hairs, then so will I.

Nobody is voting on him keeping his job. Even if a vote on a forum asking the opinion of others DID carry any kind of swa, which it doesn’t, His fixed term contract ends so his job can’t be kept in the form it is now.

He can be offered a new/extending contract, which can be negotiated on different terms to his expired contract.

I state at the beginning that I would give him a year, and I think the club will too.

Having said all that, I think it’s a vote of confidence looking at the result.
    Not splitting any hairs, just giving my opinion which I am as much entitled to do as you are.

Not splitting any hairs, just giving my opinion which I am as much entitled to do as you are.
    You’re splitting hairs saying we are voting on his future!

I have no argument about your opinion on Wilkin.

You’re splitting hairs saying we are voting on his future!

I have no argument about your opinion on Wilkin.
    I did say that I agreed with your opening comment. I also said that about voting on his future was hypothetical.

Anyway I'm leaving it at that.

In The South Stand

The good thing about all this is that it has turned out to be a vote of confidence in a player who has given us long service and done what coaches have required of him.

Learning All The Songs

He is the modern day Shane Cooper (but not as talented- not a dis though). We play well with him in is correct position

Learning All The Songs Mac Saint's Avatar

Thought he was class tonight. Real shift in defence. Certainly a better team when he’s on the field
    This wonderful St. Helens OUTFIT

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Saint View Post
    Thought he was class tonight. Real shift in defence. Certainly a better team when he’s on the field
    Must of been watching a different game to me! But tonight is not the night for that

Found it interesting Holbrook shifted him onto the left tonight, which is the first time he’s played there under Holbrook?

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Must of been watching a different game to me! But tonight is not the night for that

Found it interesting Holbrook shifted him onto the left tonight, which is the first time he’s played there under Holbrook?
    I agree I thought he was poor . Would not be surprised if someone give's him credit for Rich's kick .

Noooobie

I thought he was awful last night in the first 15 we had made about 3 or 4 mistakes and literally everyone had him involved.

I would be happy for him to stay for a year if he ran the ball in hard and tackled hard but at times he thinks hes a scrum half and can also give away a fair few penalties.

Got A Season Ticket

I voted no. I agree he has had a good season and if he was on pennies or the salary cap didn’t exist I would be ok with a final season from him. As it is we can get more value elsewhere.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

He was will ••••••ed off at getting substituted just after halftime. I voted +1 year, he just sets the defensive line up so well.

Learning All The Songs

I thought last night he was just getting in the way.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    I thought last night he was just getting in the way.

There was an element of that. And he was ineffective playing on the left. I wouldn't say he was poor last night. Just pretty 'meh'.