Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steve Mascord, Canadian expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    There are differences though - in Super Rugby they play in clusters so an NZ team will fly to SA and play their 3 games in one hit. I think the NZ Warriors are a ggod team to study -they, over the years, struggled with the turnaround from a flight across to Aus. It took them some time to work out the logistics- either fly a day early and have 2 days to settle in or fly late and get it over and done with.

I also think Super Rugby is not an example we want to follow - attendances are lower than they used to be for a NZ only comp.
    Despite playing “cluster” games in Super Rugby, however, there will nevertheless always be a game after having travelled a fair distance (whether that is after having flown to South Africa or on return) while games in Buenos Aires are one-offs for the away teams (as well as involving more than twice the length of journey compared with Liverpool to Toronto). I’m not saying that the logistics don’t need to be planned carefully, but don’t see that they pose insufferable problems given they will only be needed once or twice a season with regard to Toronto.

Noooobie

I dont see a problem with Toronto coming up if they have earned their place through a pre-agreed, legitimate play off system. The grounds for disagreement seem to be;

1) They dont have many Canadian players. A lack of 'local' lads in premiership football teams doesnt seem to do the sport any harm and over the last twenty years, many of our most lauded Saints players have been from another hemishpere let alone time zone. If Toronto can evidence that they are developing grass roots / local talent and have a plan to bring those players into the first team in the future then thats good enough.
    2) We should be concentrating on the domestic game. To a degree I agree with this. The sport is neglected but the only way to change that is to encourage people with money, motivation and business accumen to come to the sport - just the kind of people that Toronto have. We should be asking them for tips not banishing them like they are witches because they dont have a chippy outside the ground.
    3) Its far. So what? Is this something that cannot be overcome? There will be a schedule that maybe isnt perfect but is acceptable to Toronto and SL sides and fans. I suspect plenty of fans and players would love an annual trip to Toronto.
    4) They will be a team of has-beens and wont be competitive. Well they wont be any different to two or three current SL sides then will they? I would rather a side with almost 10k fans (and a SL place will only increase that!) be in SL than a side that struggle to muster 3000 and of those that do turn up, some seem to want to cause bother.

We complain about how insular, old fashioned and poorly run the game is. Toronto is the most ambitious change in the game in a generation. If they win the right to play SL we should welcom them, say bye bye to one of the dinosaur clubs and find a way to make it work.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    It didn’t seem that Roby, Lomax, Percival or Makinson struggled after travelling to Denver. In rugby union, the Super Rugby tournament has teams from South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Japan and Argentina competing without any obvious impact on player performance. Similarly, American Football teams rack up the air miles without compromising standards so I don’t think we should be concerned about the odd game in Toronto.
    I actually thought that the players you mentioned were a little 'under par' after the Denver test!
    I know nothing about Super Rugby or American Football for that matter. I just know how I feel when I've been over to the States. Admittedly, that has been for a few weeks stay, so I don't know how I would feel after a quicker turn around.
    I also spend quite a lot of time travelling to games here. You might spend the same amount of time travelling, but it isn't as hard if you're in the same time zone.
    A rule of thumb is that it takes one day for each time zone crossed to get over jet-lag. It's also more difficult travelling West to East because you're shortening the day. Don't forget, our players don't get the week off between games. They have to train too.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I actually thought that the players you mentioned were a little 'under par' after the Denver test!
    I know nothing about Super Rugby or American Football for that matter. I just know how I feel when I've been over to the States. Admittedly, that has been for a few weeks stay, so I don't know how I would feel after a quicker turn around.
    I also spend quite a lot of time travelling to games here. You might spend the same amount of time travelling, but it isn't as hard if you're in the same time zone.
    A rule of thumb is that it takes one day for each time zone crossed to get over jet-lag. It's also more difficult travelling West to East because you're shortening the day. Don't forget, our players don't get the week off between games. They have to train too.
    It was more the altitude of Denver that tired the players out than the travel.

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    You made me question my recollection but looking at the MoM thread for the Wakefield game several people included Roby, Percival and Thompson in their listing so I presume those players weren’t overly affected by the Denver trip. As far as jet lag is concerned, it must be an individual experience as I’ve travelled many times to India, Thailand and Sri Lanka and have never suffered although admittedly I’ve not had to work on arrival.