Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Cliff Watson

Noooobie

Default Cliff Watson

Hello Lads,

I am 14 years old and the Great-Nephew of Cliff Watson.

I have been researching his career for many years, but am now in the process of really observing it in great detail and speaking to former players and fans of his era.

If anyone has any memories of Cliff, I'd love to chat to you please and if anyone knows how to get in touch with any former players (apart from Ray French and Peter Harvey), please let me know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Davis Watson
    aged 14

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Young Watson View Post
    Hello Lads,

I have been researching his career for many years, but am now in the process of really observing it in great detail and speaking to former players and fans of his era.

If anyone has any memories of Cliff, I'd love to chat to you please and if anyone knows how to get in touch with any former players (apart from Ray French and Peter Harvey), please let me know.

Kind regards,

Davis Watson
    aged 14
    You have some great genes in your heritage. Probably the hardest prop I have ever seen. Good luck with your research.

Before my time but my dad speaks very highly of him. He says he was signed from the Midlands after Saints put an advert in the paper for RU players. Good luck with your research.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Young Watson View Post
    Hello Lads,

Kind regards,

Davis Watson
    aged 14
    I have a good picture of him from a newspaper cutting when I used to keep scrap books when I was your age. It's somewhere up in the attic. If you want I'll scan it in an email you if I can find it.

Starting A Programme Collection HoofeHearted's Avatar

Have you already had a look at this?
    http://www.saints.org.uk/saints/player.php?num=16510
    Phil Vievers...Balls...Joan Collins...Try...Orgasmic... RH the living legend.

The club runs a past players association. I'm sure if you got in touch they'd be able to get you in contact with some of his former teammates. A good first point of contact is Mike Appleton, the club's media manager - he runs the @saints1890 Twitter account so maybe you could contact him on there. As you're descended from Saints royalty I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting help!

Quote Originally Posted by HoofeHearted View Post
    Have you already had a look at this?
    http://www.saints.org.uk/saints/player.php?num=16510
    Actually I think the photo I have is the one on this link.

Club historian Alex Service would be a good starting point

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/1..._winning_team/

Mike Critchley is another option, he's on twitter.

Also, I don't know if you have your 'Tough as teak' Great uncles e-book From Saint to Shark ?
    On the literary front, Cliff Watson, one of the legends of that Saints team of the 1960s has recently penned his story and released it on ebook. From Saint to Shark, the Cliff Watson Story, is a personal account of the fiery front-rowers journey from Dudley Kingswinford to Saints and then over to Cronulla Sharks

In The South Stand

I watched most of Saints matches when Cliff Watson played and agree with all the good things said about him , I was at the last game and never forgot how the crowd started singing " Now is the hour when we must say goodbye ", a good sign of how Saints supporters at that time thought about him ,he was special .

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    I watched most of Saints matches when Cliff Watson played and agree with all the good things said about him , I was at the last game and never forgot how the crowd started singing " Now is the hour when we must say goodbye ", a good sign of how Saints supporters at that time thought about him ,he was special .
    I wish my memory was as good as yours I had forgotten about that it was a great atmosphere that day

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Noooobie

Wow, what a response, I really appreciate all of your memories and kind words.

Firstly, thanks to 'Belgian Saint' and 'WA10' for their kind words and to 'Hoofehearted,' 'Dux,' 'superarch' and 'Jackbit' for their suggestions. Thanks to Greg for the offer of the photo, I'm glad you managed to find the photo on 'Hoofehearted's' link.

In regards to the last posts from 'Saint Ged' and 'oldun,' I shall message (PM/direct message) you both.

Thanks again everyone,

Davis

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    You have some great genes in your heritage. Probably the hardest prop I have ever seen. Good luck with your research.
    Tough as they come was Watson , remember him flattening the Aussie front row , I was in the boys peen , what year would that be BS ??.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Tough as they come was Watson , remember him flattening the Aussie front row , I was in the boys peen , what year would that be BS ??.
    The number of times he flattened Aussie front rows, I wouldn't know where to start. IIRC he got sent off in 63 for flattening Peter Diamond. I remember reading somewhere he was the only GB player to be sent off twice against Australia (though Jack Arkwright got sent off twice in the same game). Was the second time when he flattened Morgan??. I had the pleasure of watching his first 9 years at KR then watching him again in Australia. I met him after one game at Cronulla and had a drink with him. A great story teller.
    Great as Tommy Bishop was, he owed a lot to Watson.

When I picked my username I never realised what the initials were until you just posted.

In The South Stand

"Davis " if you private message your address to me I will look and find some newspapers with reports and anything that might be of interest to you I think I might even have the white programme which mentioned when Cliff signed for Saints. I was just getting ready to go to the game before and now I have just got back so tomorrow I will sort things out and post to you.

Noooobie

Thanks for the memories 'roy litherand' and 'Belgian Saint'. I believe the second time was after head butting Jim Morgan, sorry 'showing him how it was done'!!

I've just sent you a PM, Ged. Cheers!!

Learning All The Songs The Great Tom Vol's Avatar

The Best Prop forward I have saw at SAINTS & that's from 1959 to present day.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Tom Vol View Post
    The Best Prop forward I have saw at SAINTS & that's from 1959 to present day.
    That's exactly what Murphy said when he named his "best ever team" and I agree he was the best without a shadow of a doubt , and let's not forget he didn't play in 20 minute spells , and yes I know the game is quicker now .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    That's exactly what Murphy said when he named his "best ever team" and I agree he was the best without a shadow of a doubt , and let's not forget he didn't play in 20 minute spells , and yes I know the game is quicker now .
    Yep. Best I have seen. Ran hard, dipped that shoulder, knocked them over.

In The South Stand

I just want to mention that " Davis " has got everything that he could have wished for after his request , he must have forgotten to mention it .

In The South Stand

Great Britain never had a better prop forward than Cliff Watson.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Great Britain never had a better prop forward than Cliff Watson.
    I’m sure our resident expert on everything Tobasco can name 10.

Noooobie

Just to let you know that I received a wonderful bundle of programmes and clipping from "Saint Ged" that assisted me greatly with my research and gave me the info I was after.

He was very useful and it is much appreciated.

Davis

Ps. Thanks to everyone for their kind words and views on Saints and Great Britain props - it is lovely to hear.

In The South Stand

Hi Davis

I’m very late with this but I’ve just read the following passage from a book of short stories - ‘Lost In The Wash’ by Charles Nevin. Page 179 includes:

“‘Have you heard of Cockney Cliff Watson? Played rugby league for St Helens and Great Britain. Always had a large helping of steak and chips before a game.’

‘Yes’, said Davey. ‘But he was a prop forward and one of the hardest men ever to play the game. You’re not.’”

I watched your uncle play but I have no useful material that might help. However, if a character in a work of fiction (written by someone who knows his stuff) spoke about one of my relatives in those terms, I’d be really proud and pleased.

Noooobie

Wow, I certainly never knew that!!

That is superb information and I certainly am proud.

Thanks for the info,

Davis