Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Saints V Wakey Squad

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Having watched Lee's getting pinged for a high shot and shortly after, a similar incident occured when Makinson was hit, that was let go??. Lee's is young and learning his craft in SL, I think he will come good for us, it's early days.
    I like Lees enthusiasm and physicality. I think/hope in time and with more experience and exposure at the top level he can learn to channel his aggression and work rate and use a bit more nous. I like a player with his attitude, which is hard to learn. I'm sure the coaching staff are working with him to be more wise in the game. With experienced players like Douglas, Amor, LMS in the side and younger role models in Walmsley and Thompson - Less has every chance of making the transition.

Our backs are playing some really nice rugby - but our forwards have really stood up and against some big sides recently, especially considering Walmsley has been out and Amor missing a few too. Special mention to Robes. He's been playing as well as ever. I have to admit to thinking he wasn't a natural captain - but he's been doing an amazing job in there.

I don't know what our salary cap is looking like for next season, assuming we can retain our current squad - I'd like to see another big, quality forward in there and a classy, sparky back (possibly at the expense of Smith) - but credit to the current squad and coaching staff for getting this level of performance out of this season - it's been something to behold.

Looking like injuries to Barba and Morgan will force us to change things a bit next week. We could see Swift come in for Morgan and Fages go to stand off. Amor should be back so the extra bench spot could be between Lees and Smith.

Noooobie

Totally agree about small margins.

The better teams obviously win them as they are used to winning in tight situations.
    Both Saints and Cas are very good at this. Cas in particular have not got a huge points difference considering where they are in the league.
    However they know how to grind out a win.

We at Wakefield are still learning this, but to run you so close over 2 games this year indicates that we are travelling in the right direction.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

We made plenty of errors last night. We shouldn't have allowed wakey back into the game at 20-6, but they should have gone on to win once they got ahead. We didnt fold when most teams would. We kicked on again. It's sets us up well for the remaining cup games and the 8s. Those games will be tight and we'll need to find a way to win. We did also have 5 guys travel to Denver and back it up not even a week later. 4 played who have been massively influential on the way we play this year. Yes we were poor. Yes we look tired (playing in 30 degrees), but this team play with pride and passion. Oh and that's 10 wins on the bounce. Get the lads a break

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Looking like injuries to Barba and Morgan will force us to change things a bit next week. We could see Swift come in for Morgan and Fages go to stand off. Amor should be back so the extra bench spot could be between Lees and Smith.
    I'd like to see Ashworth get a pick for the Widnes game. Thought Grace played well but was alarmed how easily Caton-Brown chased and caught him saving a certain try.

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    I'd like to see Ashworth get a pick for the Widnes game. Thought Grace played well but was alarmed how easily Caton-Brown chased and caught him saving a certain try.
    Grave seemed to be just jogging along at one point. Don't know if he was slowing down waiting for back up.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    We made plenty of errors last night. We shouldn't have allowed wakey back into the game at 20-6, but they should have gone on to win once they got ahead. We didnt fold when most teams would. We kicked on again. It's sets us up well for the remaining cup games and the 8s. Those games will be tight and we'll need to find a way to win. We did also have 5 guys travel to Denver and back it up not even a week later. 4 played who have been massively influential on the way we play this year. Yes we were poor. Yes we look tired (playing in 30 degrees), but this team play with pride and passion. Oh and that's 10 wins on the bounce. Get the lads a break

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    When was the last time we won 10 on the bounce.

Got A Season Ticket

99 times out of 100 I can understand, on review, why the officials rule as they do; so I agree with the Makinson ‘knock on’ decision, and with the Barba penalty for his attempt to kick the ball away. But I am puzzled to explain their thinking behind the Taia try. To me it looked like the arm carrying the ball was grounded short, then, rather than momentum, the ball was promoted over the line. Can anyone explain what the officials thought they saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    99 times out of 100 I can understand, on review, why the officials rule as they do; so I agree with the Makinson ‘knock on’ decision, and with the Barba penalty for his attempt to kick the ball away. But I am puzzled to explain their thinking behind the Taia try. To me it looked like the arm carrying the ball was grounded short, then, rather than momentum, the ball was promoted over the line. Can anyone explain what the officials thought they saw?
    I know Lomax was taken out in back play leading up to Taia going over, so I don't know if he just decided to give the try because of it....

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by newport dave View Post
    I know Lomax was taken out in back play leading up to Taia going over, so I don't know if he just decided to give the try because of it....

Yes, I saw that; but surely the correct decision would be no try, because it wasn’t, and penalty to Saints for the foul?

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    Yes, I saw that; but surely the correct decision would be no try, because it wasn’t, and penalty to Saints for the foul?
    The lomax contact was with the head and off the ball - I genuinely think Child gave it to avoid having to make a difficult decision.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by newport dave View Post
    Grave seemed to be just jogging along at one point. Don't know if he was slowing down waiting for back up.

I think it's time people cottoned on to the fact that he isn't that fast over a distance. His strengths are his pace over ten metres and his footwork, but Regan Grace isn't going to round the cover and go the distance. After fifty metres, he's shagged and that's never been any different. he's certainly no Sullivan, Hunte or Albert.

All that said, he's a much more rounded player now and he's now starting to learn the art of support play and positioning more all the time. Earlier in the season, I had my doubts that he was better than Swift, but I'm more sure of him now.

One player who was outstanding again and just doesn't get the plaudits he deserves from our crowd is Mark Percival. Once again, the two blokes in front of us were moaning about him not passing to his winger. Each time he didn't, Grace would have got murdered. He's actually an intelligent footballer who won't simply pass just because people in the crowd scream at him to do so. He knows about Grace's lack of long distance pace and often realises where the ball will end up if he does pass; i.e. in touch. They were screaming for him to pass to Regan for our second try, but he cut inside and created a try under the sticks for Jonny Lomax, which shut them up. At times, some of our fans don't deserve a player of that quality playing for us. He's the best centre in our league and he's showing it week in, week out now. And I'll tell you something, I bet Tommy Makinson wishes he was out there feeding off Percival.

Luke Thompson does get the plaudits he deserves and he was outstanding again. A real leader, and he was the one who picked our pack up when it was down after an hour of the game. The best prop in Super League.

That's the positives, but the negatives are there to see at the moment, and we look a little shagged. We have had a bucket load of fortune this season, with referees decisions last night and with (a lack of) injuries, but that can't last. I just hope it doesn't all come back to bite us on the bum at the crucial stage. We've got four massive games coming up after Widnes, before the Super Eights, and there's no doubt we are going to have to play a lot better than we are. Defensively, we've gone down a fair few notches recently, although the hot temperatures will have had an effect. Ben Barba has been off the boil over the last four games too, in comparison, and I'm hoping it's just a breather before the important stuff.

In all though, you can't argue with the character and will to win of the team. Over the last few years, heads have gone down, which I suspect was largely to do with an inability to see or believe what Cunningham was asking from them, but they believe in Holbrook and they seem to believe they are winners. It could be the most crucial element over the remainder of this season.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    The lomax contact was with the head and off the ball - I genuinely think Child gave it to avoid having to make a difficult decision.
    Hum. I don’t like that explanation, because it implies that the ref is not up to his job and feeds the ‘penalties are deliberately balanced up/the game is managed to give Sky a spectacle’ conspiracy theories. But I don’t have an alternative other than it was a blatant error.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I think it's time people cottoned on to the fact that he isn't that fast over a distance. His strengths are his pace over ten metres and his footwork, but Regan Grace isn't going to round the cover and go the distance. After fifty metres, he's shagged and that's never been any different. he's certainly no Sullivan, Hunte or Albert.

All that said, he's a much more rounded player now and he's now starting to learn the art of support play and positioning more all the time. Earlier in the season, I had my doubts that he was better than Swift, but I'm more sure of him now.

One player who was outstanding again and just doesn't get the plaudits he deserves from our crowd is Mark Percival. Once again, the two blokes in front of us were moaning about him not passing to his winger. Each time he didn't, Grace would have got murdered. He's actually an intelligent footballer who won't simply pass just because people in the crowd scream at him to do so. He knows about Grace's lack of long distance pace and often realises where the ball will end up if he does pass; i.e. in touch. They were screaming for him to pass to Regan for our second try, but he cut inside and created a try under the sticks for Jonny Lomax, which shut them up. At times, some of our fans don't deserve a player of that quality playing for us. He's the best centre in our league and he's showing it week in, week out now. And I'll tell you something, I bet Tommy Makinson wishes he was out there feeding off Percival.

Luke Thompson does get the plaudits he deserves and he was outstanding again. A real leader, and he was the one who picked our pack up when it was down after an hour of the game. The best prop in Super League.

That's the positives, but the negatives are there to see at the moment, and we look a little shagged. We have had a bucket load of fortune this season, with referees decisions last night and with (a lack of) injuries, but that can't last. I just hope it doesn't all come back to bite us on the bum at the crucial stage. We've got four massive games coming up after Widnes, before the Super Eights, and there's no doubt we are going to have to play a lot better than we are. Defensively, we've gone down a fair few notches recently, although the hot temperatures will have had an effect. Ben Barba has been off the boil over the last four games too, in comparison, and I'm hoping it's just a breather before the important stuff.

In all though, you can't argue with the character and will to win of the team. Over the last few years, heads have gone down, which I suspect was largely to do with an inability to see or believe what Cunningham was asking from them, but they believe in Holbrook and they seem to believe they are winners. It could be the most crucial element over the remainder of this season.
    Agree

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    I would also like to see Ashworh get a go ahead of Lees.

I couldn't believe how easily Caton Brown caught him, though he has always been fast but with suspect hands. I do think Grace had one of his better games. At one time I thought he was away down the wing and couldn't believe it when he came inside, but the replay from a different angle showed that Johnstone would have cut him off on the angle. So correct decision from Grace.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Just listening to JH and his post match interview looks like BB will not be playing next week. Said he has been struggling with a knee injury for a few weeks and took a knock after he made that break in first half. Admits he made a mistake and should have took him off earlier. They will check how he is during the week. Doubt he will be risked next week.
    I think it's the knock he got at Cas in the league game.
    For me we can rest him against Widnes and If need be in the away game to Hull.
    The three games following that are Wigan, Warrington and Cats in the cup, we need him for those matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    The three games following that are Wigan, Warrington and Cats in the cup, we need him for those matches.
    Agreed. Lomax to full back and Fages stand off - I thought he injected a lot of energy last night and was a catalyst in the fightback.

Really, after next week it’s going to be full on right through to the end of the season

If we beat Widnes next Friday that puts us six points clear at the top with three games remaining. With out points differential that should make the last three games kind of dead runners for me - although I just can’t see Saints wanting to hold back against the pies and Wire.The big game after next week is the semi-final and we need to ensure that our fittest team is up for that one. I think that is possibly why Sheffield’s team for the game against Toulouse tomorrow looks like a Saints A team - Matty Smith ,Swift, Costello, Ashworth, Fozzard all play. I think some of these will be used in the next four weeks for the first team.

In The West Stand

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...for-sheffield/

Certainly looks like Smith will be given some game time next week

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    If we beat Widnes next Friday that puts us six points clear at the top with three games remaining. With out points differential that should make the last three games kind of dead runners for me - although I just can’t see Saints wanting to hold back against the pies and Wire.The big game after next week is the semi-final and we need to ensure that our fittest team is up for that one. I think that is possibly why Sheffield’s team for the game against Toulouse tomorrow looks like a Saints A team - Matty Smith ,Swift, Costello, Ashworth, Fozzard all play. I think some of these will be used in the next four weeks for the first team.
    How are the the remaining games dead rubbers?? If we lose them and Wigan win them all (I know we play them) then we go into the super 8s probably level.

There are no dead rubbers at this stage of the season.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    How are the the remaining games dead rubbers?? If we lose them and Wigan win them all (I know we play them) then we go into the super 8s probably level.

Holbrook and I would be very happy if we can win 3 out of our last 4 games, that would give us a nice cushion into the super 8's.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Holbrook and I would be very happy if we can win 3 out of our last 4 games, that would give us a nice cushion into the super 8's.
    As would I

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

Maybe dead rubbers was a bit strong but I was just trying to point out that our points differential is vastly stronger and they would have to win all
    of their last three games so now it would be a time to think about a) conserving our energy in order to make the big push for the semi and then the play offs and b) giving the fringe players some first team experience in case of injuries and suspensions.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    4 out of 4 guarantees a playoff spot, I think that'll be the target

We need to win a maximum of 7 from 11 to guarantee top and 6 from 11 for a home semi. That’s assuming we maintain the points difference and Wigan and/or Wire win every remaining game, which is clearly unlikely