Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Saints V Wakey Squad

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    If he’s a bit discombobulated it’s more likely because of the size of the offer Saints have put on the table for him to extend his contract by several years.
    It isn't.

Learning All The Songs

Whenever we play teams with big players, we struggle. That’s Hull, Leeds and now Wakey were we haven’t been able to stop the opposition from rolling forwards and offloading the ball, Fifita, Pauli Pauli and then, off the back of their success, Kyle Wood had a field day that second half. As a result the defensive line was never set and they cut through us far too easily.

In attack however, I thought we were very good and looked very dangerous. Another game that we’ve managed to pinch, undeservedly but that is a good sign.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

It was another game were we played average with some really exciting short spells, I thought James Child gave Wakefield a lot of momentum for 15 mins in the second half giving some charitable penalties but ignoring some of the Wakefield infringements.

For me Taia turned the game made a couple of breaks, key passes and his solo try, a couple of seasons ago we would have struggled to fight back but this season we respond and that’s what’s winning us the tighter games.

Trinity would be buoyed by being one of two to beat us this year and of course the size of their pack.

The reality is that championships are won on the back of small margins and increments, and we were good for our win in the end. as Others have already said, under previous leadership we’d probably have folded.

this wasn’t a no hope team like Salford, Huddersfield or HullKR, Trinity we’re only one spot behind us at the end of last season.

At the end of the day, a one point win against Leeds and last nights win tell us a lot more than a drubbing of Hudddeesfield!

Funny to hear fans of other teams saying Leeds and Wakefield have found us out and worked out how to win.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    We were lucky tonight.
    I agree, Shakey Wakey, were solid last night, but we got the win, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Whenever we play teams with big players, we struggle. That’s Hull, Leeds and now Wakey were we haven’t been able to stop the opposition from rolling forwards and offloading the ball, Fifita, Pauli Pauli and then, off the back of their success, Kyle Wood had a field day that second half. As a result the defensive line was never set and they cut through us far too easily.
    In attack however, I thought we were very good and looked very dangerous. Another game that we’ve managed to pinch, undeservedly but that is a good sign.
    We have lost two games all season. Our games against top teams should and are tougher because they are the teams in form as well. The great thing about this team is we are finding ways to win when things are not going well. Last night and against Leeds were perfect examples. I prefer to see we have that ability than to romp home 30 points clear every week. Because at the seasons end we might need a come from behind performance.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    We have lost two games all season. Our games against top teams should and are tougher because they are the teams in form as well. The great thing about this team is we are finding ways to win when things are not going well. Last night and against Leeds were perfect examples. I prefer to see we have that ability than to romp home 30 points clear every week. Because at the seasons end we might need a come from behind performance.
    We need to cut put the dumb and lacklustre patches after half time. Last night was quite alarming. To concede 16 points so quickly, give so many penalties away and make such basic errors was very concerning, similar to Leeds game. We struggled to even get them to play the ball in their half in that spell. Polish it up any way we want that's two struggles over mid table sides after a fair run of us not being anything like our 2018 selves without the ball

That said we seem to becoming a bit more clinical with the ball when it's vital. Big wraps to Lomax for his take and quick play then LMS vision to get the ball moving on next play. Game changing passage of play and an absolute dagger through Wakefields heart

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    We need to cut put the dumb and lacklustre patches after half time. Last night was quite alarming. To concede 16 points so quickly, give so many penalties away and make such basic errors was very concerning, similar to Leeds game. We struggled to even get them to play the ball in their half in that spell. Polish it up any way we want that's two struggles over mid table sides after a fair run of us not being anything like our 2018 selves without the ball

That said we seem to becoming a bit more clinical with the ball when it's vital. Big wraps to Lomax for his take and quick play then LMS vision to get the ball moving on next play. Game changing passage of play and an absolute dagger through Wakefields heart
    Once Matty Lees was removed from the pitch the penalty count against saints fell and they went on to win the guy is becoming a liability in tight matches

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Snuffleupagus View Post
    I think he's been away for a week on holiday. Hope he's not been back to Oz and his head is all over the place at the minute.
    He went to Tenerife as did Holbrook (not together). Most of the lads went away.

I have to say that I don’t think he’s 100% fit. Even at Leeds I saw him holding his thigh at the end chatting to Wilkin. Makes you wonder whether he’s carrying a knock. Widnes at H next week is another chance to rest him and extensive rehab rather than a holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ten wins out of ten is something Saints should be proud of though.

It’s funny how in just over 12 months our expectations are so much higher, in that after last night many Saints fans are not satisfied. Remember many on here stated after KC left it would take a couple of seasons to sort out this team and get new players in. Well JH in his part season got us within spitting distance of a final. This season we have lost 2. Yes 2.
    Last night showed me that although there is room for improvement the team showed that they are in for the fight. We lost our way at times through a bit of weak defence, poor kicking and penalties. We also had an off colour Ben as well as four players who regardless of their desire to play were a little short of gas (especially Tommy). Yet despite that when Wakey took the lead and I think thought this was their night the team ( like they did at Leeds) found that ‘ other gear’ and with some brilliant play put Wakey in their place as well as telling the league we are a team no one wants to face. Yes we got the rub of the green with a couple tries or none tries, but good teams earn them decisions.
    If we would have won them games under KC we would have been (amazed) over the moon.
    Remember JH has achieved this so far with only one new player (playing) and without many experts choice as the best prop in the league. He has also made tough decisions (Smith dropped) as well as blooding young players when needed.
    We rightly demand a lot but I think we need to temper that a bit and not be too harsh when we have a below par performance (and still win). The sun is shining in St Helens both literally and metaphorically.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Once Matty Lees was removed from the pitch the penalty count against saints fell and they went on to win the guy is becoming a liability in tight matches
    yes , he does some good work with the ball but is a liability when we are defending

Just listening to JH and his post match interview looks like BB will not be playing next week. Said he has been struggling with a knee injury for a few weeks and took a knock after he made that break in first half. Admits he made a mistake and should have took him off earlier. They will check how he is during the week. Doubt he will be risked next week.

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Having watched Lee's getting pinged for a high shot and shortly after, a similar incident occured when Makinson was hit, that was let go??. Lee's is young and learning his craft in SL, I think he will come good for us, it's early days.

It’s funny how in just over 12 months our expectations are so much higher, in that after last night many Saints fans are not satisfied. Remember many on here stated after KC left it would take a couple of seasons to sort out this team and get new players in. Well JH in his part season got us within spitting distance of a final. This season we have lost 2. Yes 2.
    Last night showed me that although there is room for improvement the team showed that they are in for the fight. We lost our way at times through a bit of weak defence, poor kicking and penalties. We also had an off colour Ben as well as four players who regardless of their desire to play were a little short of gas (especially Tommy). Yet despite that when Wakey took the lead and I think thought this was their night the team ( like they did at Leeds) found that ‘ other gear’ and with some brilliant play put Wakey in their place as well as telling the league we are a team no one wants to face. Yes we got the rub of the green with a couple tries or none tries, but good teams earn them decisions.
    If we would have won them games under KC we would have been (amazed) over the moon.
    Remember JH has achieved this so far with only one new player (playing) and without many experts choice as the best prop in the league. He has also made tough decisions (Smith dropped) as well as blooding young players when needed.
    We rightly demand a lot but I think we need to temper that a bit and not be too harsh when we have a below par performance (and still win). The sun is shining in St Helens both literally and metaphorically.
    I don't think we should confuse a realistic reading of the game with complaining. I think we were quite poor last night, and in terms of game management I think we've been pretty poor for a few weeks, but I'm actually pleased that despite this we're dangerous enough and gutsy enough to win the matches. I do think that we'll need to tighten things up in a few areas (and possibly get some bodies back in the front row) in order to achieve what this team is capable of, but I don't think anyone is really dissatisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I don't think we should confuse a realistic reading of the game with complaining. I think we were quite poor last night, and in terms of game management I think we've been pretty poor for a few weeks, but I'm actually pleased that despite this we're dangerous enough and gutsy enough to win the matches. I do think that we'll need to tighten things up in a few areas (and possibly get some bodies back in the front row) in order to achieve what this team is capable of, but I don't think anyone is really dissatisfied.
    I don’t disagree. It’s just that I was disappointed leaving the game last night and then thought hold on a minute...and then read a few Twitter/ redvee comments and thought ‘come on this ain’t to bad’. All for talking about individual games and what we feel was wrong. But overall I’m am happy as Larry (who is Larry BTW. Answers on a postcard please).

There’s definitely a loss in us coming up. In some ways it wouldn’t hurt for us to lose one before the semi final.

We’ve struggled against Hull, Leeds and now last night. A loss may allow some re-focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But overall I’m am happy as Larry (who is Larry BTW. Answers on a postcard please).
    Fair enough, and I think pretty much everyone on here is happy as Larry too (I have no idea who he is, but he seems to be pretty chuffed). If anything I'd suggest avoiding Twitter after anything other than a resounding win, as it's basically a pipe dispensing raw sewage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Having watched Lee's getting pinged for a high shot and shortly after, a similar incident occured when Makinson was hit, that was let go??..
    The difference was that Makinson just got up and played on whereas Lynne made a meal of it, stayed down and allowed the video ref to spot Taia’s slight contact with the head. The ref obviously missed both but in his defence they were glancing blows and he doesn’t have the benefit of watching it in slow motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    The difference was that Makinson just got up and played on whereas Lynne made a meal of it, stayed down and allowed the video ref to spot Taia’s slight contact with the head. The ref obviously missed both but in his defence they were glancing blows and he doesn’t have the benefit of watching it in slow motion.
    Yes ok, it's not good for the game if players are doing it just to get the video ref involved.

In The West Stand

After calming down from last night

I think there’s some slight disservice going on, we scored some really nice tries last night, the first one from the scrum is the definition of a well coached side, we were making breaks for fun BUT the right hand edge looked ridiculously disorganised and probably cost us going in another two tries ahead at half time. The epitome of this was the being unable to read Barba wanting someone to cut back on the inside into the acres of space until Wakefield had closed it down.

In the second half, until we regained control, some of the defence was shocking. The Caron Brown try in particular sticks out as something that we should never allow to happen. The role Wakefield got on was off the back of another massively long period where we didn’t have any ball with penalty after dubious penalty, but we could of, and perhaps should have found another gear to stop the role earlier than they did. I must confess when they took the lead I didn’t think we could win it back. How injured Barba is I don’t know, but his substitution certainly seemed to act as a wake up call for the players and massive credit to Holbrook for the bold decision. If he is carrying an injury, wrap him up in cotton wool and get him right for the 8s!

I know the world keeps going on about Saints don’t have any injuries, but I think we are starting to really feel the pinch of missing 2 of our first choice props. The pack could do with a lift as a whole with Wilkins form dipping, Peyroux being more figured out and Taia drifting in games slightly (don’t get me wrong his last 10 minutes were incredible from him but I do think we could get some more of his early season form doing as he was at GC and having the first 20 on the bench). The problem is I’m not sure who we can bring in to galvanise the pack a bit. All of our options who could are young and probably a little risky.

Teams are coming at us in a way that they haven’t done for years. As such we’re not being judged against Wigan or Cas or anyone else - it’s our own standards that people are saying we’re not hitting - despite finding ways to win (compared to last administrations finding ways to lose as an earlier poster alluded to). There are still some massively positive takeaways from last night for team spirit and mental strength. The left edge has started clicking again and Grace has really started to mature and look very classy indeed (something a couple of months ago I wasn’t sure he could).

Massively proud of the lads. Semi final, 6 points clear with only 4 games to go before the split, (19s top of the league), scoring some amazing tries and creating breaks - let’s take the positives and not get constantly dragged in by the opposition desperate to prove that we are just lucky somehow. COYS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Having watched Lee's getting pinged for a high shot and shortly after, a similar incident occured when Makinson was hit, that was let go??. Lee's is young and learning his craft in SL, I think he will come good for us, it's early days.
    The hit on TM was far more solid, it was just a loose hand from Lees.

The harder you train the luckier you get?

Starting A Programme Collection

Another gutsy win that showed composure, patience and that bit of class to see off Wakefield who put everything in. Wakey have been pretty good this season to be fair too. I think a lot of teams have been/will continue to up their games which makes it a harder earned win for us - as we are this season's benchmark. I'd rather us take these tight wins whilst not at our best than blow everyone out of the water all year long (much like Cas last season) only for then to wither at the end of the season when it counts.

We weren't at out best, we were lucky with some calls, the ref also balanced that out somewhat with penalties to Wakey giving them momentum - but we got the win and created some entertaining tries. Happy with the win and to keep things rolling - hope we can continue that over the coming weeks of the regular season. After that we will need to start finding other gears and create some momentum and our best performances for the business end of the season.

Another 2 points in the bag, entertainment along the way and plenty of room for improvement. COYS!

Maybe he’s picked up bad habits playing in the Championship.