Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Eamonn McManus on Justin Holbrook

Default Eamonn McManus on Justin Holbrook

I think the point that supporters will watch this team "win, lose or draw" is on the money. It wasn't just results under Cunningham that were the issue. It was the mind numbing experience of going to games and the fact that if you didn't accept it with a sh1t eating grin on your face you were branded a "sheep" and told you knew nothing about rugby league

Everyone seems to be behind this team and Holbrook now. We might not win anything but we will certainly go about our business in the right way, the Saints way

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Absolutely.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Great article

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Holbrook the coach will ultimately be judged on trophies first and foremost, followed by entertainment value, and he is certainly heading in the right direction on both counts. He has us enjoying matches again, we play a good style of rugby and I don't think we really fear anyone at the moment. We are in a commanding position to pick up the League Leader's shield but for me he has to lead us to the Challenge Cup or Super League trophy now to avoid disappointment for this season.

Holbrook the man is absolutely everything you'd want from the figurehead at your club; he's honest, intelligent, articulate, engaging and puts a real emphasis on creating the bond between the club and it's supporters. He's worked absolute wonders from a PR point of view since he came and has been an absolute breath of fresh air.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Holbrook the coach will ultimately be judged on trophies first and foremost, followed by entertainment value, and he is certainly heading in the right direction on both counts. He has us enjoying matches again, we play a good style of rugby and I don't think we really fear anyone at the moment. We are in a commanding position to pick up the League Leader's shield but for me he has to lead us to the Challenge Cup or Super League trophy now to avoid disappointment for this season.

Holbrook the man is absolutely everything you'd want from the figurehead at your club; he's honest, intelligent, articulate, engaging and puts a real emphasis on creating the bond between the club and it's supporters. He's worked absolute wonders from a PR point of view since he came and has been an absolute breath of fresh air.
    He also comes across as being a really nice bloke and his passion for the team and game shows when he watching.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    He also comes across as being a really nice bloke and his passion for the team and game shows when he watching.
    Yes definitely. Everything about him is very likeable and he seems to have a genuine connection with the club now and he doesn't hide his emotions during matches.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Season Ticket

Good post, couldn't of put it better. He just seems to "get" both the club and town.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 808state View Post
    Good post, couldn't of put it better. He just seems to "get" both the club and town.
    To paraphrase what Johnny Vegas said at the end of Sky's coverage at Leeds, Holbrook has got Saints being Saints again.

This 100% for me!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I think that with E Mc and Holbrook we really do have a winning team. I can't speak highly enough of either of them

In The South Stand

We should get him and Barba on 3year extensions to contracts.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    For he's a jolly good fell...ow!

Excellent article, well balanced and sums up my feelings very well. EMc, Holbrook and Barba have been like the holy trinity of the Saints resurrection... Long may it continue!

Banned

I think the Cunningham episode was a learning experience for McManus and, more especially, Mike Rush.

Many fans (me included) were scathing about Rush during that time, with some long-standing fans who know the club closely commenting on Rush's admiration of the Daniel Anderson school of conservative/defence-orientated rugby (Anderson striking lucky in inheriting a talent-packed team with natural flair and a culture of fast, flowing rugby that he was able to add steel to without making us dull)

So to abandon the playing style that Rush was committed to, and go for a coach with a different mentality (also after putting the expansive '3 wise men' in temporary charge) was a leap of faith that took balls and has been rewarded.

I'm made up for McManus. He's put an awful lot of himself into Saints and there's no doubt he loves the club with a passion. He was in an impossible position with Cunningham and felt duty-bound to give him time to find his coaching feet and turn it round, but in return just got a more entrenched Cunningham and plummeting relations with fans. McManus made the tough decision and, whilst some things have just fallen well (Barba, that MW trouncing of Hull in Holbrook's first game which got fans instantly on side), the hard work behind the scenes is properly paying off.

A clean sweep of trophies would be a fitting finale to the season.

I think that Holbrook’s coaching credentials compared with those of Cunningham are obvious as demonstrated not only through results but also the manner of play of/improvement in every player that was also under Cunningham. Beyond team performance, however, and what is more admirable in my view has been Holbrook’s understanding of the need to engage with both fans and the community at large and the manner in which he has brought everyone together. The fact that Cunningham, as someone born and bred within the locale, failed to recognise this - indeed, his words and actions merely served to increase alienation - is an even more shameful indictment of his shortsomings.

Well done all those involved in recruiting Holbrook.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

In full agreement with the above two posts from Webbo and Tabasco.

Upside
    Non Members

Holbrook seems like a nice guy, something the players often respond to, Cunninghams man management looked poor, I wonder if we will read about it in years to come