Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Men’s Room

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Just got back from holiday in Pefkos, Rhodes. On our third day I got a text to say that a friend who I had been going to the rugby with for over forty years with had lost his wife suddenly to a brain haemorrhage. They had been on holiday in Corfu when it happened, a place they visited three times a year for the last thirty odd years. he got back at 3:00 a.m this morning, his wifes body was flown back on Saturday. He'd booked to go back next year two weeks before they flew out. I've just spoken to him, one of the most difficult conversations I've ever had.

It hits home hard and makes you reevaluate your own life. His last words to me were "Give them a shout for me tonight, take care of your family they are the most precious things in your life".

I'll probably give social media and the like a rest for a while.

Stay safe, take care of those you love.

Brian

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Just got back from holiday in Pefkos, Rhodes. On our third day I got a text to say that a friend who I had been going to the rugby with for over forty years with had lost his wife suddenly to a brain haemorrhage. They had been on holiday in Corfu when it happened, a place they visited three times a year for the last thirty odd years. he got back at 3:00 a.m this morning, his wifes body was flown back on Saturday. He'd booked to go back next year two weeks before they flew out. I've just spoken to him, one of the most difficult conversations I've ever had.

It hits home hard and makes you reevaluate your own life. His last words to me were "Give them a shout for me tonight, take care of your family they are the most precious things in your life".

I'll probably give social media and the like a rest for a while.

Stay safe, take care of those you love.

Brian
    Sorry to hear that, what a horrible thing to happen. I genuinely hope both him and yourself are alright.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Sorry to hear that, what a horrible thing to happen. I genuinely hope both him and yourself are alright.
    Same here. Put's things into perspective.

Banned

None of us seem to do this enough these days. That is to stop sit down evaluate things and rest the mind and brain. Life is so fast we just keep going and going without thinking about ourselves and our emotional health.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    None of us seem to do this enough these days. That is to stop sit down evaluate things and rest the mind and brain. Life is so fast we just keep going and going without thinking about ourselves and our emotional health.
    It's a very good point - in today's world it feels even more scarce. I've been contemplating setting up something that allows people just this - the 'space to stop' and just be. I wonder what it would take? I feel a bit hesitant - maybe just because I don't know what people's reactions would be to this kind of offering of open space with no particular agenda - but then again, I know some people would benefit from it.

Every now and again you get a reminder this life isn't a trial run.
    Another example posted by Brian.
    Lost a few mates to cancer and it scares the s*** out of me.
    We all take this life for for granted.
    Got to live for today within reason!
    Puts some of the petty bickering on here into perspective.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Every now and again you get a reminder this life isn't a trial run.
    Another example posted by Brian.
    Lost a few mates to cancer and it scares the s*** out of me.
    We all take this life for for granted.
    Got to live for today within reason!
    Puts some of the petty bickering on here into perspective.
    I was diagnosed with cancer nearly six years ago now. When they tell you your first thought is I am going to die. Then if your lucky you come through it. Speaking as an average guy from St Helens in my fifties the physical pain you deal with it, most of us of a certain age are resilient. Its the psychological element that in my case was and to a point still can be the destroyer. McMillan I can honestly say brought me back from facing oblivion and I cant speak highly enough of them. My GP and at the time Employer they were truly shocking. I changed GP and certain people exited the business where I still work and it is a happy place now. Counselling and time and appreciating your family again are my three anchor points. You do learn to let a lot go but passions like Saints are important as we all need an outlet. Time to reflect, time to plan, quality time with family and friends do it now and it will help you cope with illness a bit better than I did.

I was diagnosed with cancer nearly six years ago now. When they tell you your first thought is I am going to die. Then if your lucky you come through it. Speaking as an average guy from St Helens in my fifties the physical pain you deal with it, most of us of a certain age are resilient. Its the psychological element that in my case was and to a point still can be the destroyer. McMillan I can honestly say brought me back from facing oblivion and I cant speak highly enough of them. My GP and at the time Employer they were truly shocking. I changed GP and certain people exited the business where I still work and it is a happy place now. Counselling and time and appreciating your family again are my three anchor points. You do learn to let a lot go but passions like Saints are important as we all need an outlet. Time to reflect, time to plan, quality time with family and friends do it now and it will help you cope with illness a bit better than I did.
    Thanks for sharing your story. It takes courage to be open about it. Glad you have come through your ordeal and still finding ways to appreciate life more. Saints is certainly a great outlet. It's helped that the last couple of seasons have been much more entertaining to watch than the previous.

Within a couple of days of making the point above another shock.
    Sure many Saints fans know Big John Herbert. Sadly passed away this morning. 52
    I went to Australia on the 92 lions tour with John.
    Devastating news and very unexpected.
    Thoughts with his 2 children and family.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Within a couple of days of making the point above another shock.
    Sure many Saints fans know Big John Herbert. Sadly passed away this morning. 52
    I went to Australia on the 92 lions tour with John.
    Devastating news and very unexpected.
    Thoughts with his 2 children and family.
    Shocking news , it was on the 92 tour that I got to know him .

Upside
    Non Members

Sorry to hear your news Rogues.

It does bring things into perspective when you hear news like this and makes you realise what is important.

I've had my fair share of 'debates' on here. I do cringe sometimes at my tone when reading back some of my comments. Despite how it may appear I genuinely don't wish to fall out with anyone.

I do have a positive view on RL and don't believe things are as bad as people make out, and when I challenge I could word things better, I haven't intended to annoy anyone but it's like you get sucked into a worm hole of tit for tat!

There will always people you get along with better than others that's just life, and I don't take things to heart in return.
    I'll be taking a break from social media, not going away completely but I've got lots of things coming up so a good time to take a back seat. If I'm not around much good luck to everyone with their posts, keep up the debating and try not to fall out

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

That's exactly the position I am in , mis-diagnosed by my GP said I I had "spondolitis" which I had/have , unfortunately the Cancer was missed which left me with the "C" eating into my spine causing three fractures, lost 5 stone , 5" in height and with the knowledge that unfortunately i cant be cured . Ward 2 at Whiston , the girls at the "lilac centre" and without the Mc Millan nurses i just don't know where i would be, the family friends have and are fantastic. Watching the lads this season has been fantastic , although I missed the end of the Salford game when I was carted off lol. I cant go to old Trafford , just that bit too much , the will I have wanting a win is second to none , just hope the lads "front up" if they do they will turn anyone over , enjoy the game everyone you will hear me shouting up in Moss Bank .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    That's exactly the position I am in , mis-diagnosed by my GP said I I had "spondolitis" which I had/have , unfortunately the Cancer was missed which left me with the "C" eating into my spine causing three fractures, lost 5 stone , 5" in height and with the knowledge that unfortunately i cant be cured . Ward 2 at Whiston , the girls at the "lilac centre" and without the Mc Millan nurses i just don't know where i would be, the family friends have and are fantastic. Watching the lads this season has been fantastic , although I missed the end of the Salford game when I was carted off lol. I cant go to old Trafford , just that bit too much , the will I have wanting a win is second to none , just hope the lads "front up" if they do they will turn anyone over , enjoy the game everyone you will hear me shouting up in Moss Bank .
    I haven’t posted for a while - fed up with trolls - but you feel like you know people who post regularly on here and I’m sorry to read your news. I hope your bit of Moss Bank is making a joyful noise next Saturday. All the best Roy.

Got A Season Ticket

All the best Roy xxxx

God bless . Hope your all ok . Take care guys and look after each other

Very sorry to hear that, Roy. Here's hoping the lads do it for you next week.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Terrible situation. Just wishing you all the best going forward. Good luck.

Banned

Sorry to hear that Roy, all the best going forward.

Sobering post Roy. Wish you the best. Hope the lads do it fo ryou next week.

Banned

Roy: The fact you are connected with McMillan and the superb Lilac centre gives me reassurance for you. I for now am one of the lucky ones. Saints is quite clearly a massive part of your life as is RL in general your knowledge shines through. If your up to it keep us all updated even if its just a rant, the mods I hope will excuse a rant if needed. Saturday evening sit down with your special meal "mine was steak pudding and chips and a glass of what you really fancy,try to enjoy the game the best you can. Hopefully you will still be fighting for the WCC if the saints smile on us on Saturday. Good luck: Lawrence.

Just read this, keep strong Roy lad, you'll be in good hands no doubt with your treatment. Lets hope the lads can help you on the way on Saturday. Take care mate.

COYS

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Incredibly brave and emotive article about Dom Crosby and his awful loss in 2017. Amazing courage to speak out about his and his wife’s loss.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/ex-...aby-1-10043562

Sobering... What Roy is going through and what Dom did - puts things into perspective.

We all want a Grand Final win and that would bring a lot of joy to those connected with Saints. Also knowing that there are other important things in life helps to keep focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Incredibly brave and emotive article about Dom Crosby and his awful loss in 2017. Amazing courage to speak out about his and his wife’s loss.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/ex-...aby-1-10043562

He was on Rugby AM this week talking about it and the work he now does with a men's mental health group.
    His story was pretty heartbreaking although it had a nice outcome with the birth of his new son.
    Some people go through hell it's amazing they come out the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Sobering... What Roy is going through and what Dom did - puts things into perspective.

We all want a Grand Final win and that would bring a lot of joy to those connected with Saints. Also knowing that there are other important things in life helps to keep focus.
    Hear, hear.