Jungle Out There Banner
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 151 to 170 of 170

Thread: The Menís Room

  1. #151
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    10

  2. #152
    In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,711
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Excellent video from a group of Warrington lads

    https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk...mental-health/
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

  3. #153
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    487
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Imploded on Wednesday. It's been coming for a while. They say no fool like an old fool. Just an insight for us all to learn. I was signed off sick with workplace stress. I hold a professional role in transport. I agreed to "keep in touch" gradually that became more intrusive until I cracked. I now need to build up again which started today with a mega walk with a mate. I have now turned the phone off. Learning from each other helps even old fools.

  4. #154
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,305
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Imploded on Wednesday. It's been coming for a while. They say no fool like an old fool. Just an insight for us all to learn. I was signed off sick with workplace stress. I hold a professional role in transport. I agreed to "keep in touch" gradually that became more intrusive until I cracked. I now need to build up again which started today with a mega walk with a mate. I have now turned the phone off. Learning from each other helps even old fools.
    You're not on your own mate, I've had a couple over the past few weeks, including this afternoon for a variety of reasons but one thing I can control is that I haven't been doing much exercise and have been supping more.

  5. #155
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,305
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I've been thinking about posting in this thread for a while now and today seems like a good day for it as I made a big decision last night, one I'm hoping turns my life for the better. It came after yet another stressful day at work and a couple of pints in an Irish bar where I know the owner who has just become a father. To cut a long story short he basically said to me, why was I sacrificing my life and health in the pursuit of money. For those that don't know, I work (well until this morning) in Oil & Gas which may sound good but the reality is that's it's a ruthless business, long hours and a lot of time spent away from home. The industry went into freefall around 2014 when a lot of cost cutting exercises were made due to the oil crash. The knock on effect has been that companies realised that there were ways to maximise profit and this has carried now the price has recovered. What it means in reality is that it's now an even worse business to work in, it was never that great but the money and time off made up for it in the past.
    This past 18 months has been difficult and has affected both my physical and mental health, I just couldn't see the wood for the trees, also not helped by the amount of booze I was putting away at times. I already feel like a weight has been lifted and I intend to follow that up by finding more of a balance.

    I'm not saying I'm 100% certain I've made the right decision but I hope it helps anyone who's feeling similar. Look after yourself, you only get one go at life so make it worthwhile.

    If anyone want to chat the feel free to PM me.
    So just over 9 months on from this and yesterday I made a couple of big decisions. I'm in Germany at the moment, well actually sat on a train going to the airport to come home. This Covid outbreak has caused our site to be closed and I'm not hanging around to end up locked down here. The reason I mention it is I've decided now that I'm done with working away, I started to drift back to it last year instead sticking to my guns but the truth is, I hate it now.
    The second thing I decided was that I'm going teetotal, as much as I've tried, and god knows I have, me and booze don't go together, so that's it, I'm calling it a day. Other than that, I hope everyone is OK.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 24th June 2020 at 07:45. Reason: Uber tired

  6. #156
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,664
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    So just over 9 months on from this and yesterday I made a couple of big decisions. I'm in Germany at the moment, well actually sat on a train going to the airport to come home. This Covid outbreak has caused our site to be closed and I'm not hanging around to end up locked down here. The reason I mention it is I've decided now that I'm done with working away, I started to drift back to it last year instead sticking to my guns but the truth is, I hate it now.
    The second thing I decided was that I'm going teetotal, as much as I've tried, and god knows I have, me and booze don't go together, so that's it, I'm calling it a day. Other than that, I hope everyone is OK.
    Good for you mate. You can do it
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  7. #157
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    172
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Best of luck, you can do it


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #158
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    487
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Two biggies there Dave, go for it, but don't be hard on yourself if one slips a bit.

  9. #159
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,305
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Two biggies there Dave, go for it, but don't be hard on yourself if one slips a bit.
    About half an hour after I posted that someone called me about a job in Sweden

    Bloody good one too and it's something a bit different so I'm having a think about it.

  10. #160
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    825
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    About half an hour after I posted that someone called me about a job in Sweden

    Bloody good one too and it's something a bit different so I'm having a think about it.
    What is the percentage increase in your wage Dave when you take a job overseas compared with the UK?

  11. #161
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,305
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    What is the percentage increase in your wage Dave when you take a job overseas compared with the UK?
    It can honestly vary quite considerably. Germany wasn't great but there wasn't much work about so it's a case of making do, and that's what I hate, being taken advantage of. I was thinking about Sweden last night and it's a very good package and as an employee, not a contractor which is a big thing but also giving me a way out of the oil industry so I'm going to at least take the interview if offered.

    As for the drink side of things, I know it isn't going to be easy to change something that's been a big part of my life for over 20 years but that and work have been playing on my mind for a while, I know I've needed to make changes and now seems like as good a time as any.

  12. #162
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    4,022
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Good luck with it, Dave.

  13. #163
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    All the best to all who are facing tough times, decisions, mental health challenges... takes a lot of courage to talk about these things - but often it's worthwhile1

    ...as a way of releasing stuff, letting go, being heard and knowing that there are others out there too facing tough times - and we're not always as alone and isolated as we might think... plenty of people who care too amongst it all.

    Cheers, Chris

  14. #164
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,305
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    All the best to all who are facing tough times, decisions, mental health challenges... takes a lot of courage to talk about these things - but often it's worthwhile1

    ...as a way of releasing stuff, letting go, being heard and knowing that there are others out there too facing tough times - and we're not always as alone and isolated as we might think... plenty of people who care too amongst it all.

    Cheers, Chris

    Cheers, and you're correct about speaking up, I still don't like it but I find it helps me.

  15. #165
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Helens
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Best of luck Dave
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional

  16. #166
    Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Moss Bank
    Posts
    1,777
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    All the best to all who are facing tough times, decisions, mental health challenges... takes a lot of courage to talk about these things - but often it's worthwhile1

    ...as a way of releasing stuff, letting go, being heard and knowing that there are others out there too facing tough times - and we're not always as alone and isolated as we might think... plenty of people who care too amongst it all.

    Cheers, Chris
    Spot on Chris , McMillan nurses did it for me , always thought with others I was 'mentally' tough as teak BUT , the double whammy - the big c and then the Corona turned me into a nightmare which I hadn't realised , I asked I received and did everything asked , great people when needed and where they needed.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

  17. #167
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,305
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Spot on Chris , McMillan nurses did it for me , always thought with others I was 'mentally' tough as teak BUT , the double whammy - the big c and then the Corona turned me into a nightmare which I hadn't realised , I asked I received and did everything asked , great people when needed and where they needed.
    Puts my crap into perspective but also goes to show that you can think you're mentally tough and you're struggling. Anyway, hope you're as well as can be Roy, I always like reading your posts.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 27th June 2020 at 08:07. Reason: Video ref

  18. #168
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    628
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    It can honestly vary quite considerably. Germany wasn't great but there wasn't much work about so it's a case of making do, and that's what I hate, being taken advantage of. I was thinking about Sweden last night and it's a very good package and as an employee, not a contractor which is a big thing but also giving me a way out of the oil industry so I'm going to at least take the interview if offered.

    As for the drink side of things, I know it isn't going to be easy to change something that's been a big part of my life for over 20 years but that and work have been playing on my mind for a while, I know I've needed to make changes and now seems like as good a time as any.
    Wishing you the best of luck. Take care

  19. #169
    Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Moss Bank
    Posts
    1,777
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Puts my crap into perspective but also goes to show that you can think you're mentally tough and you're struggling. Anyway, hope you're as well as can be Roy, I always like reading your posts.
    Keep going mate you will come through.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

  20. #170
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I’m new in here, fellas. Just read your posts. Hope all works out for you. Tough times are sent to try us, no doubt. Good luck to you all

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •