Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 62 of 62

Thread: The Menís Room

  1. #51
    Starting A Programme Collection Harri81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Newton le Willows
    Posts
    769
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Great and strong thread, well done for bringing this out.

    Currently im struggling with life but keeping it hidden, numerous family problems, deaths and financial issues haven't helped. In 2014 i had a near fatal motorcycle accident which is still causing problems in my life now. 10 surgeries on my arm later and ptsd im feeling quite isolated. This year has been the first year ive been able to bring myself to step into the stadium due to crowds and im taking things day by day. However other than work ive become isolated from people, no friends, minimal family etc so my life consists of work and sleep, i can no longer play sport, i dont drink so socialising is becoming harder and harder.

    Thank goodness for saints.
    Saints until i Die!!!!

  2. #52
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Thanks for sharing Harri. It's a brave thing to do. I'm glad that Saints is providing something that helps. Do reach out if you need anything else.

  3. #53
    In The South Stand retro74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St Helens, Lancashire
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,183
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Might be worth trying something like meetup.com Harri81. There's loads of different local groups on there based on every interest you can think of

  4. #54
    Got A Season Ticket BigKevIro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    205
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    This is a fantastic initiative Bronco & all involved at Redvee, i hope those people who have been courageous enough to share get something from this.
    Can't agree more Bronco, more power to all who get involved even if its only a little bit here n there.

  5. #55
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    There was some event on in Taylor Park yesterday I think that was about mental health. Did anyone go?

  6. #56
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    For a couple of years between 2007 and 2009, I was really struggling. I won't go into details but my personality and behaviour changed. The first step to my recovery was talking and admitting I had a problem.

    I don't wish to preach to others, but from my experience, being honest and open with those who love you is the first step to recovery. You'll be amazed by just how supportive people are.

    Hope this helps anyone who reads it, take care, and good luck.

  7. #57
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lancashire Nick View Post
    For a couple of years between 2007 and 2009, I was really struggling. I won't go into details but my personality and behaviour changed. The first step to my recovery was talking and admitting I had a problem.

    I don't wish to preach to others, but from my experience, being honest and open with those who love you is the first step to recovery. You'll be amazed by just how supportive people are.

    Hope this helps anyone who reads it, take care, and good luck.
    Good advice Nick. Thanks for sharing your experience and how you managed to overcome your own challenges. For those of us fortunate enough to have people around us who care - they are a great source of support if we can find the courage to open up. People genuinely want to help.

    For those who have less close people and loved ones around - it also surprising how strangers can be of great support too.

    A lot of people whether they know you well or not are willing to provide support. Even if we are often exposed to less pleasant aspects of human nature - there are always good sides too, and the more we can embrace these (giving and receiving) the better off we are likely to be in society.

    The capacity for kindness and support, especially when people are facing adversity, can come to the fore if we give it a chance. Neither am I trying to preach any ideals... only to lend encouragement to Nick's ideas about opening up if needed, as the results can be surprising in a positive way.

  8. #58
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,411
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Good advice Nick. Thanks for sharing your experience and how you managed to overcome your own challenges. For those of us fortunate enough to have people around us who care - they are a great source of support if we can find the courage to open up. People genuinely want to help.

    For those who have less close people and loved ones around - it also surprising how strangers can be of great support too.

    A lot of people whether they know you well or not are willing to provide support. Even if we are often exposed to less pleasant aspects of human nature - there are always good sides too, and the more we can embrace these (giving and receiving) the better off we are likely to be in society.

    The capacity for kindness and support, especially when people are facing adversity, can come to the fore if we give it a chance. Neither am I trying to preach any ideals... only to lend encouragement to Nick's ideas about opening up if needed, as the results can be surprising in a positive way.
    I think a lot of people hear the 'it's good to talk' mantras and believe it. It can do, it's worth a try, but can also be as painful as the problems themselves. From my own experience, I've found most people say the right things but then don't actually help. For example I had a pretty spectacular breakup and a lot of people said 'give me a shout and we'll go out for a drink, been through it myself mate'. Probably 7 or 8 people said that. But when you text or ring to ask for that drink or a chat, they're mysteriously busy for the next couple of weeks. There needs to be a lot more education done about how to actually help people with mental health issues. It's all good banging the well-established 'open up' drum, but what should people do when they actually do? There needs to be a campaign about that and people need to start acting and change it to 'come round mine and we'll have a chat' or 'I'll come to yours and we'll have a chat' rather than 'if you need anything give me a shout'. It's easy to see why so many men kill themselves.

  9. #59
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I think a lot of people hear the 'it's good to talk' mantras and believe it. It can do, it's worth a try, but can also be as painful as the problems themselves. From my own experience, I've found most people say the right things but then don't actually help. For example I had a pretty spectacular breakup and a lot of people said 'give me a shout and we'll go out for a drink, been through it myself mate'. Probably 7 or 8 people said that. But when you text or ring to ask for that drink or a chat, they're mysteriously busy for the next couple of weeks. There needs to be a lot more education done about how to actually help people with mental health issues. It's all good banging the well-established 'open up' drum, but what should people do when they actually do? There needs to be a campaign about that and people need to start acting and change it to 'come round mine and we'll have a chat' or 'I'll come to yours and we'll have a chat' rather than 'if you need anything give me a shout'. It's easy to see why so many men kill themselves.
    All very good points. Better systems that help people are needed, professional support, more awareness and more education. The kind of shift in society and community where it feels more like the norm to say "let's have a chat about this" (and feel more comfortable to actually act upon it) takes time to change. The more is done at a systems level, the more people might feel encouraged/supported to take individual and collective action too. I also agree that it's a painful process - but one which I believe is important and maybe even necessary to go through to get towards a point where less people feel so desperate to the point where they take their own lives.

  10. #60
    Learning All The Songs Jackbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,085
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ague-ian-knott

    State of Mind article that may be of help to some people?

  11. #61
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    148
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Just wanted people to be aware of some of the support available in the town

    https://twitter.com/sthelenscouncil/...22028966617088

    Also the Club's "best kept secret" the Saints Community Development Foundation is making a real contribution

    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/saints-co...-in-play-mhis/

    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/saints-co...-in-play-mhis/

  12. #62
    WARNING! PIE EATER!
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Thought that this interview with Hardaker discussing how he now deals with his demons and Sarginson discussing his brothers death may be helpful to some people on here.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuLDjT1A_e8

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •