Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: England team for Denver.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Correct, offering evens he was Mad Benny previously. He called Rogues a Wigan nonce that did it for me.

Got A Season Ticket

For what it’s worth, here’s my take. I’ve just returned from a week in Vegas and we flew to Denver for the day for the game.

As soon as we landed there were Americans at the train station going to their first rugby league game. One in particular we spoke to was a medical student who’d played a little bit of rugby in college and wanted to experience a match first hand and with a crowd of people who get involved in the game right from the start, singing, chanting, etc. I got the impression Americans tend to drift in and out of their sporting occasions seeing as they take so long. Going out for a beer, getting a hot dog etc.

He had brought his friend along so that was two new people before we’d even got to the stadium. It was a promising start. On arriving at the stadium, the Broncos brass band were warming up but, unlike Huddersfield, Leeds et al, they could actually play their instruments properly and were actually quite tuneful. There were plenty of people there - we arrived before the gates opened - and it was really pleasing to hear so many American accents coming to the game. Great mix of young and old too. There were also notably quite a lot more women than I thought there’d be. I believe women play quite a lot of rugby in the US.

As for the size of the crowd, there was definitely around 19-20k there. The stadium is massive and very spread out. I think they should have closed the top tier but I suspect they might if it’s held there again. Atmosphere didn’t come across on tv but it was really good. Fans mixing and mingling. We were sat next to an Australian who’s lived in Colorado for 32 years and this was his first ‘footie’ game he’d been to. He loved it and couldn’t wait for it to come back. He’d driven 90 miles from his home. The other side consisted of two women and a man, I think they were daughter and parents. She was mid-30’s ish. Her father approached us at half time for some clarification on the rules, plays and was very grateful after we chatted to him for 10 minutes.

The comments re the Colorado rapids stadium - it wouldn’t have been big enough for the crowd they got so I think the stadium was the right choice. Russell Crowe has 2.7m followers on twitter and he was tweeting good things throughout the day, including meeting some rabbitohs fans after the game and posing for selfies. I fail to see how this cannot be good for the game.

Overall we had a fantastic day and I’d definitely recommend anyone to do it if they can. The locals/people we met thoroughly enjoyed it and we encouraged everyone we met to google St Helens Rugby League and watch us on you tube! Shared an Uber back to the airport with a couple of wakey fans, great lads. The train back to the airport wasn’t running due to maintenance otherwise we’d have used that. $9 for an all day pass on the trains/trams - great value.

Queues at the merchandise stall were consistently long - the catchphrase/slogan being Mile High War Cry. The altitude can definitely be felt, we were blowing a bit just walking to the stadium and we’re fit and healthy regular gym goers. It was also over 30 degrees so I think the game was pretty entertaining and full throttle given the conditions.

Any questions let me know.

That's a great post Dagzie, first time I've read something from someone who was actually there. Hope everyone in the crowd brings someone new with them the next time it happens and the crowd grows and grows

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dagzie View Post
    For what it’s worth, here’s my take. I’ve just returned from a week in Vegas and we flew to Denver for the day for the game.

As soon as we landed there were Americans at the train station going to their first rugby league game. One in particular we spoke to was a medical student who’d played a little bit of rugby in college and wanted to experience a match first hand and with a crowd of people who get involved in the game right from the start, singing, chanting, etc. I got the impression Americans tend to drift in and out of their sporting occasions seeing as they take so long. Going out for a beer, getting a hot dog etc.

He had brought his friend along so that was two new people before we’d even got to the stadium. It was a promising start. On arriving at the stadium, the Broncos brass band were warming up but, unlike Huddersfield, Leeds et al, they could actually play their instruments properly and were actually quite tuneful. There were plenty of people there - we arrived before the gates opened - and it was really pleasing to hear so many American accents coming to the game. Great mix of young and old too. There were also notably quite a lot more women than I thought there’d be. I believe women play quite a lot of rugby in the US.

As for the size of the crowd, there was definitely around 19-20k there. The stadium is massive and very spread out. I think they should have closed the top tier but I suspect they might if it’s held there again. Atmosphere didn’t come across on tv but it was really good. Fans mixing and mingling. We were sat next to an Australian who’s lived in Colorado for 32 years and this was his first ‘footie’ game he’d been to. He loved it and couldn’t wait for it to come back. He’d driven 90 miles from his home. The other side consisted of two women and a man, I think they were daughter and parents. She was mid-30’s ish. Her father approached us at half time for some clarification on the rules, plays and was very grateful after we chatted to him for 10 minutes.

The comments re the Colorado rapids stadium - it wouldn’t have been big enough for the crowd they got so I think the stadium was the right choice. Russell Crowe has 2.7m followers on twitter and he was tweeting good things throughout the day, including meeting some rabbitohs fans after the game and posing for selfies. I fail to see how this cannot be good for the game.

Overall we had a fantastic day and I’d definitely recommend anyone to do it if they can. The locals/people we met thoroughly enjoyed it and we encouraged everyone we met to google St Helens Rugby League and watch us on you tube! Shared an Uber back to the airport with a couple of wakey fans, great lads. The train back to the airport wasn’t running due to maintenance otherwise we’d have used that. $9 for an all day pass on the trains/trams - great value.

Queues at the merchandise stall were consistently long - the catchphrase/slogan being Mile High War Cry. The altitude can definitely be felt, we were blowing a bit just walking to the stadium and we’re fit and healthy regular gym goers. It was also over 30 degrees so I think the game was pretty entertaining and full throttle given the conditions.

Fantastic read - thanks for taking the time to post it.

I appreciate there's going to be a novelty value, but the reception & reaction has been a lot more positive than I was expecting.

In The South Stand

Sounds like a great time was had by those that attended. Very positive and exactly what it was supposed to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagzie View Post

Respect to you on this one. Great to have an eye witness account of what went on. It'll soon be World Cup time over there.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Dagzie that's great to hear. I had some friends who went out with Dave Foti of Catalan Sports Tours and they loved it. If they are going to do something next year or even the year after then they need to let the fans know a.s.ap. so they can plan their trips. Early announcements is something RL doesn't' do well.
    I'm hoping to go to the R.L World Cup in 2025, but I'll be 77 years of age then so it'll really depend on my health.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Dagzie that's great to hear. I had some friends who went out with Dave Foti of Catalan Sports Tours and they loved it. If they are going to do something next year or even the year after then they need to let the fans know a.s.ap. so they can plan their trips. Early announcements is something RL doesn't' do well.
    I'm hoping to go to the R.L World Cup in 2025, but I'll be 77 years of age then so it'll really depend on my health.
    Plenty of life left in you yet Rogues

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Fair play to ya Rogues, I am just over halfway and will not plan anything for this Christmas yet!!
    Still have that "man makes plans God starts smiling" as a neutralizer for thinking too far ahead.

Gerard Songsters Organiser

Can only echo what Dagzie said about the experience. 6 of us went over last Thursday and arrived home Tuesday morning. Great experience all the way through. Met up with all the players and were very positive about the experience. Couple of organisational problems at the turnstiles. Only 3 gates open out of a total of 8 gates and only 4 turnstiles at each gate out of a total of 15 turnstiles. Lots of queues and only just made kick off. Locals loved it and were very inquisitive but very polite in wanting to gain an understanding of the rules. All in all, a great weekend, very reasonably priced in terms of food & drink and if they do it again, I'll certainly be going.

You certainly get around Dave!

Did you bump into my old workmate from Wakey and her entourage whilst you were out there? I'm sure they wouldn't miss a chance to fly halfway across the globe to watch a game of RL