Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Matty Smith

I think Manly's Daly Cherry-Evans is one of Barba's best mates so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    I think Manly's Daly Cherry-Evans is one of Barba's best mates so who knows?
    I know. We have zero chance of signing a player like that.

I'm on about Corey Norman's potential departure from Manly, Dux, and not us getting DCE. Or is that what you mean?
    Last edited by Jackbit; 30th June 2018 at 09:53.

I'm on about Corey Norman's potential departure from Manley, Dux, and not us getting DCE. Or is that what you mean?
    Ah, I see. Apologies.

I wouldn't have thought we'd be in with a chance of signing Norman either, though, TBH.

He's at Parramatta Eels anyway and not Manly These guys are on big contracts over there so I agree, he will most likely go to another NRL club IF he leaves the Eels.

He's at Parramatta Eels anyway and not Manly These guys are on big contracts over there so I agree, he will most likely go to another NRL club IF he leaves the Eels.
    If Barba goes, then I think our best chance of coming up with a decent solution will be to move Lomax to full back and look for another half, simply because there are twice as many halves in game as there are full backs. It's just a bit more likely that a decent one will become available.

I think they will just put Naqaima there as a straight swap, because its just a matter of time before Saints will have to release Barba. Lomax can come in when needed.

In The West Stand

IF Barba goes (and I have no expectation he will at this point) surely the obvious target is Hayne? Already told he’s not getting another contract with the Eels form a bit flaky in the NRL (though admittedly better in the last few weeks) and has already proven is open to talking to SL with the Leigh attempt a couple of years ago.

May only get a year with the whole trial in America mind.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    IF Barba goes (and I have no expectation he will at this point) surely the obvious target is Hayne? Already told he’s not getting another contract with the Eels form a bit flaky in the NRL (though admittedly better in the last few weeks) and has already proven is open to talking to SL with the Leigh attempt a couple of years ago.

May only get a year with the whole trial in America mind.
    Has he had a go at RU yet? That would seem the obvious destination for him, as he'll be able to squeeze more cash out of that.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Has he had a go at RU yet? That would seem the obvious destination for him, as he'll be able to squeeze more cash out of that.
    You're right about RU. If he's looking at the money side of things - he's more likely to go to Union than come to Super League

Special player Hayne on his day, but doesn't seem to be able to settle? I'm only speculating this from his movements over the years - not through any other knowledge. I think he'd go really well in SL but not sure how long he'd last before his head was turned?

I'd rather us retain Barba for his full contract, but would be intrigued to see how Hayne might go if he got a club in SL.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

No idea about Club RU but I think he played 7's for Fiji. Don't know how he played.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    No idea about Club RU but I think he played 7's for Fiji. Don't know how he played.
    Yes, and Naqaima played fullback and Captain. Hayne, by all accounts, was poor but he said he was carrying an injury? They got beat by PNG.

If Barba goes, then I think our best chance of coming up with a decent solution will be to move Lomax to full back and look for another half, simply because there are twice as many halves in game as there are full backs. It's just a bit more likely that a decent one will become available.
    If that happens I wouldn't be too unhappy if we went for someone like Tony Gigot. I don't think he has the long passing skill that Lomax has, but still an inventive and skilful player.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 30th June 2018 at 20:38.

In The South Stand

Matty Smith playing for Sheffield tomoz.

Learning All The Songs

If that happens I wouldn't be too unhappy if we went for someone like Tony Gigot. I don't think he has the long passing skill that Lomax has, but still an inventive and skilful player.
    Gigot at 6 would be a disaster, he just makes it up as he goes along. No doubt that sometimes has its rewards but there’s too many errors in his game for me. If we were going to go with Lomax at FB then I’d take a risk with Hastings or Blake Austin but I don’t see him having to move to SL.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I get what you mean but Jack Walker is Leeds is very similar to how Wello was.
    Eh? Have to disagree. Wello was excellent under the high ball, great anticipation/kick positioning and excellent as last line of defence to make cover tackles, but modern day full back has less reliance on defence and more on attack. Has to have pace and distribution skills of a half back. Wello was very much like Shane cooper, relied on his rugby brain to make up for his distinct lack of pace for a full back in today’s game. Jack Walker has the bravery to put his body on the line for the 50:50 balls and try saving tackles close to the line but has much more pace than Wello ever had. Don’t see the comparison personally.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Eh? Have to disagree. Wello was excellent under the high ball, great anticipation/kick positioning and excellent as last line of defence to make cover tackles, but modern day full back has less reliance on defence and more on attack. Has to have pace and distribution skills of a half back. Wello was very much like Shane cooper, relied on his rugby brain to make up for his distinct lack of pace for a full back in today’s game. Jack Walker has the bravery to put his body on the line for the 50:50 balls and try saving tackles close to the line but has much more pace than Wello ever had. Don’t see the comparison personally.
    I'm not talking about who could do the 100m quicker, I think people over egg Wellos lack of pace in his younger days, watch some tries dvds say from 2000-2007 he wasn't fast by any means but he did slow down a hell of a lot after that time. I get the Cooper comparison but for me that was only in his later years, he was our top try scorer in our first season at LP knowing where to be etc.to back a break up.
    Anyway I've strayed my point was most modern day full backs as you rightly say are more like half backs but Walker at Leeds is more of a throw back to a defence minded full back.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Gigot at 6 would be a disaster, he just makes it up as he goes along. No doubt that sometimes has its rewards but there’s too many errors in his game for me. If we were going to go with Lomax at FB then I’d take a risk with Hastings or Blake Austin but I don’t see him having to move to SL.
    Maybe it's that unpredictability that makes him an exciting player. I think he would go well in a decent team. However in my original post I was considering who may be available within SL and within the cap. If Jackson Hastings or Blake Austin are available, then they would both be worth looking at, but we may be competing against NRL salaries

Quote Originally Posted by doghead View Post
    Matty Smith playing for Sheffield tomoz.
    Do you think it's a run out for him before Widnes, and they will rest Barba letting Lomax go to FB?

https://twitter.com/SheffieldEagles/...14652136165377

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I'm not talking about who could do the 100m quicker, I think people over egg Wellos lack of pace in his younger days, watch some tries dvds say from 2000-2007 he wasn't fast by any means but he did slow down a hell of a lot after that time. I get the Cooper comparison but for me that was only in his later years, he was our top try scorer in our first season at LP knowing where to be etc.to back a break up.
    Anyway I've strayed my point was most modern day full backs as you rightly say are more like half backs but Walker at Leeds is more of a throw back to a defence minded full back.
    There is probably a bit too much emphasis on an attacking full back these days at the expense of defence. Wello was fairly quick once up to speed but he never had the acceleration to be a speed merchant, as mentioned it was his radar brain which made him seconds quicker than most full backs.
    Quinlan was a good example very quick off the mark but couldn’t tackle and arriving late when defending the line, Barba also relies too much on his fellow players making that tackle near the line and often joins the tackle when it’s too late.
    Our next full back needs to read the game first and foremost, speed and being in the wrong position is not going to be very productive.

Do you think it's a run out for him before Widnes, and they will rest Barba letting Lomax go to FB?

The way we have played the past couple of games, coupled with the number of games some have played, plus what is in front of us, a few may need a rest. By the time we play Widnes, Barba will have only played 40 mins in 3 weeks. I think others may be more deserving of a rest. If it is Smith to Give Robes or Richardson a rest, then probably a good game to do it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I think they will just put Naqaima there as a straight swap, because its just a matter of time before Saints will have to release Barba. Lomax can come in when needed.

Think you’re getting a bit ahead of yourself here mate.

We have signed Naiqama with the intention of playing him at centre.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Don't forget Richardson got a knock on the hip on Friday, he may have run it off or it may stiffen up through the week

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Don't forget Richardson got a knock on the hip on Friday, he may have run it off or it may stiffen up through the week
    That's it whether it's Richardson Barba or whoever if someone has a slight knock Widnes at home is surely the game to give them a weeks recovery. I've deliberately worded it recovery rather than rest.

In The South Stand

The way we have played the past couple of games, coupled with the number of games some have played, plus what is in front of us, a few may need a rest. By the time we play Widnes, Barba will have only played 40 mins in 3 weeks. I think others may be more deserving of a rest. If it is Smith to Give Robes or Richardson a rest, then probably a good game to do it.
    We’ve been told that Barba has been carrying a knee injury and received a knock in the Wakefield game. He may not play in order to help his recovery. I think the use of the word “rest” could be wrong.