Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Matty Smith

Got A Season Ticket

We are only keeping hold of him as a comfor blanket. If he finds a new club, we should show him the repect of releasing him early. We have enough cover in the half’s without keeping an expensive 18th man as well

Quote Originally Posted by KelCloset View Post
    We are only keeping hold of him as a comfor blanket. If he finds a new club, we should show him the repect of releasing him early. We have enough cover in the half’s without keeping an expensive 18th man as well
    But why release him before the end of the season and strengthen another club while weakening our pool of players? It’s highly unlikely that we’d be able to spend any released salary cap on a worthwhile addition to our squad.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KelCloset View Post
    I'd keep him until the end of the season. The cap is already budgeted for the year, so his cost is already factored in. If we had an injury in the halves, full back or hooker, we currently have Fages and Smith to bring in and keep the other on the bench to spell Roby and provide another option during the game. If Smith went, then an injury occurred we would be left with youngsters to bring in at the business end of the season.

If we can move him on in the off-season and restructure the squad accordingly then that's different, but for now i'd not be looking to move him on mid-season.

Got A Replica Shirt

I've chatted with Matty Smith a couple of times in my local NOT about rugby, just general pub talk.
    He comes over as a very honest intelligent presentable young fellow, certainly not the type to run off at the mouth because he's a pro sportsman.
    We've all seen his post match interviews where he's totally unbiased, considering he's just survived an eighty minute game and this could well be Matty's next opening. I think he's cut out for a TV job, lord knows that aspect of RL presentation needs a new face, he could well be the one.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by hillsider View Post
    I've chatted with Matty Smith a couple of times in my local NOT about rugby, just general pub talk.
    He comes over as a very honest intelligent presentable young fellow, certainly not the type to run off at the mouth because he's a pro sportsman.
    We've all seen his post match interviews where he's totally unbiased, considering he's just survived an eighty minute game and this could well be Matty's next opening. I think he's cut out for a TV job, lord knows that aspect of RL presentation needs a new face, he could well be the one.
    We he has played for Wigan so it’s a shoe In for a SkyTv job

Got A Season Ticket

I think he should be on the bench against Wakey, give Roby a rest after being flogged by Bennett. I think I'd probably give Lomax a night off too.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by 808state View Post
    I think he should be on the bench against Wakey, give Roby a rest after being flogged by Bennett. I think I'd probably give Lomax a night off too.
    If we give Lomax a rest why not give Costello a run? He went well against Huddersfield and think 6 is his natural position (may be misremembering though?) That way Fages is free to cover 9 as normal and give Roby a rest.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    If we give Lomax a rest why not give Costello a run? He went well against Huddersfield and think 6 is his natural position (may be misremembering though?) That way Fages is free to cover 9 as normal and give Roby a rest.
    He’s not a 6 mate, think he’s played there a handful of times but it’s not his position.

I expect Percival and Thompson to both play, wouldn’t mind seeing Smith get some extended minutes under his belt either in the halves or at hooker, bar 10 minutes against Hull KR it’s been a while.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    He’s not a 6 mate, think he’s played there a handful of times but it’s not his position.

I expect Percival and Thompson to both play, wouldn’t mind seeing Smith get some extended minutes under his belt either in the halves or at hooker, bar 10 minutes against Hull KR it’s been a while.
    Fair play, I guess thats where I got it from!

Got A Season Ticket

Nice to have the option anyway. I'd also like to see Costello.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post

What position is Costello?

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 808state View Post
    What position is Costello?
    I think full back is his best position but he’s played centre, stand off, loose forward and on the wing at different points I believe.

Fair play, I guess thats where I got it from!
    I think he could play there but I don’t think he’s played enough senior rugby at 6 for him to be considered an option there if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Tez the Saint; 25th June 2018 at 13:21.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Personally I would not have Smith in the team now unless we are really struggling with bodies. If Robes is knackered give Fages the start. Bring in Costello if Lomax needs a break. That said this will not be easy on Friday. They have some tough props. Glad Luke did not play and should be ready to go. The rest of the games (exclude Widnes) are tough and we want as big a point difference as possible.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Got A Season Ticket Wise Old Elf's Avatar

If we give Lomax a rest why not give Costello a run? He went well against Huddersfield and think 6 is his natural position (may be misremembering though?)
    He wore 6 on the 2015 Academy tour, so maybe that's where you've seen it. But the shirts were handed out in alphabetic order. He's definitely more of a centre / full back.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Personally I would not have Smith in the team now unless we are really struggling with bodies. If Robes is knackered give Fages the start. Bring in Costello if Lomax needs a break. That said this will not be easy on Friday. They have some tough props. Glad Luke did not play and should be ready to go. The rest of the games (exclude Widnes) are tough and we want as big a point difference as possible.
    I cant see Lomax and Roby playing for 80 mins on Friday, maybe Matty and Theo will cover on the bench in any permutation.

Our pack should be fresh from a weeks rest and if its a warm evening we dont need to run it down the middle, the usually good kicking game should suffice to get the Wildcats big units back into there own 20 metres and make them work for the hard yards.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Obviously JH will assess their fitness but we can pick a strong side without using any of the lads who played in Denver.
    Swift for Makinson
    Smith for Roby
    Fages for Lomax
    Costello for Percival
    Bearing in mind the rest of the first choice squad have had 2 weeks off we should be fit and raring to go.

We should not underestimate Wakefield. I think they are a decent, well-balanced, well coached side who can beat anybody on their day. They have some good players with both speed and size. Plus they’ve beaten us once already this year.

JH has said all Denver players are fit for Friday. The only doubt is Amor (groin).
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    We should not underestimate Wakefield. I think they are a decent, well-balanced, well coached side who can beat anybody on their day. They have some good players with both speed and size. Plus they’ve beaten us once already this year.
    Exactly. Wakefield are a good side and if their pack turns up we will have a hard game. From a Saints point of view it makes me glad that Thompson didn't play against New Zealand.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Possibly got the fastest three quarter line up in the league

Learning All The Songs

If they have their full pack out they take some stopping. We need to play a strong team

Learning All The Songs

After the defeat to Wakefield earlier in the season there will be no complacency from us. Saint's to win by at least 20 points.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Possibly got the fastest three quarter line up in the league
    Interesting, personally think that it is between us Regan, Benny and Tommy/Percy or Wigan Marshall, Davies and Gildart/Tomkins.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Interesting, personally think that it is between us Regan, Benny and Tommy/Percy or Wigan Marshall, Davies and Gildart/Tomkins.
    Benny's not a three quarter

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Going off their squad numbers then Johnson,Tupou,Lyne and Bishop are a useful set of speedy backs.