Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Matty Smith

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    You missed the point. The way the game worked out we got sucked into a forward battle and Matty operates very well moving the pack around and that would have made a massive difference.Our kicking game on thursday was a joke. Just a small point and Matty may yet come back to haunt us.
    Holbrook decided before the kick off that it was going to be a forwards game by putting 4 forwards on the bench. I think Holbrook may have lost the mind games did it rub off onto the players by the way they played negative.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Despite being a mixed bag i think it’s criminal we didn’t have Fages on the bench (especially considering Roby wasn’t 100%). Fages always gives us a bit of something different off the bench, energy, and a bit of zip around the middle of the pitch.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Very good defensive centre, too many fans expect Mal Meninga, that he is certainly not but a very solid player he is.
    The thing with Morgan is that he’s a great defender 90% of the time, and he has improved defensively in his time here, but he does come up with howlers. Looking at the highlights from Thursday I think the winning try was down to him coming in unnecessarily.

Re: Matty Smith, he has had a great career with his supposedly limited skills.

Honours :
    Super League Winner: 2013,2016
    Challenge Cup Winner: 2013
    League Leader’s Shield Winner: 2018
    Lance Todd Trophy : 2013
    Super League Dream Team: 2013,2014

He never let us down and it’s not his fault he had injuries and the coach who bought/was building on him got sacked.

Good luck to him and his family.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    The thing with Morgan is that he’s a great defender 90% of the time, and he has improved defensively in his time here, but he does come up with howlers. Looking at the highlights from Thursday I think the winning try was down to him coming in unnecessarily.
    I find it unbelievable that Tommy Makinson is totally blameless for any of the tries scored on that side of the field and very few have mentioned his actions when clear with support in the first half

Quote Originally Posted by Cojam24 View Post
    I find it unbelievable that Tommy Makinson is totally blameless for any of the tries scored on that side of the field and very few have mentioned his actions when clear with support in the first half
    How he never passed to Richardson is beyond belief.

100 per cent his fault for Lineham's second. Flew in. They were trying to work it out wide to Lineham and if he had stuck to his wing we may have been able to crowd him out

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

He had one of his worst games of the season lost a bit of composure quite a few times, but in saying that there were others.

Pointing out that Morgan was to blame for one try is not saying that Makinson was blameless for another.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

100 per cent his fault for Lineham's second. Flew in. They were trying to work it out wide to Lineham and if he had stuck to his wing we may have been able to crowd him out
    No doubt he had a stinker, missed tackle on Eden cost us in last years semi as well. I haven’t watched it back but I thought that at the time the pass to Richardson wasn’t really on. It looked to me like he would have got caught quite comfortably.

Got A Season Ticket

I don't thing we'd have done any better with Smith at 7 last Friday.

But I'm disappointed that JH seemed to abandon Smith altogether when he didn't want to play elsewhere.
    Smith did a great job at 9 in terms of distribution. Roby's a great passer from acting half, but all the other we've had there always took at least one extra step before releasing the ball when passing. Smith was the only one who could match Roby with passing from Dummy half.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    No doubt he had a stinker, missed tackle on Eden cost us in last years semi as well. I haven’t watched it back but I thought that at the time the pass to Richardson wasn’t really on. It looked to me like he would have got caught quite comfortably.
    But Morgan was outside Richardson as well

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

Indeed.

The disappointing thing about last week for me is the fact that Saints are a much better team than what Thursday brought up. I don't think we helped ourselves with the team selection looking back but we went away from what has brought so much success this season. We looked too one dimensional at times and if you look at the tries, they're really poor ones to concede as well. Poor decisions and you can't make them in semi finals unfortunately.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Indeed.

The disappointing thing about last week for me is the fact that Saints are a much better team than what Thursday brought up. I don't think we helped ourselves with the team selection looking back but we went away from what has brought so much success this season. We looked too one dimensional at times and if you look at the tries, they're really poor ones to concede as well. Poor decisions and you can't make them in semi finals unfortunately.
    I fully agree. We let ourselves down & didn't play to the level we can. I really am struggling to understand why we leave our brains in the car park when it gets to the business end

Quote Originally Posted by L.S.F View Post
    Don't blame it on Taia,
    Don't blame it on Lomax,
    Don't blame it on the bar staff,
    Blame on the Cunny.
    Ha ha ha.

Been pretty impressed with the bar staff of late. Not much of a wait. Pint of Gold served up pretty sharpish

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Holbrook decided before the kick off that it was going to be a forwards game by putting 4 forwards on the bench. I think Holbrook may have lost the mind games did it rub off onto the players by the way they played negative.
    Agree Stiddy, I believe it was a hangover from the job Cats did on us. That day we did not defend well, Thursday they did not look like scoring in the first 50 mins, but did that freeze us ? We scuppered the Tommy and Thommo breaks in the first half, if one of them was converted the nerves may have settled.
    Ifs and buts now but we were good enough this year for one of the big ones.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Agree Stiddy, I believe it was a hangover from the job Cats did on us.

I agree. Against Cats, we tried to be too expansive too early (without earning the right to) and turned over a lot of ball. They, on the other hand, played a tight, physical game to great effect.

There seemed to be a decision, either by JH, the players or both, to keep it tight against Wire. We still coughed up 3 errors early on and that could have played on minds even more.

Whatever, to save 2 of your worst performances for the 2 most important games (as it turned out) is heart breaking.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Indeed.

Decision making was poor at vital times.

Makinson doesn't pass to a player in a better position
    Numerous poor reads in defence
    Selection errors, no fages or amor and picking youth in a semi final was an error

Everyone can learn from this, we will go again next year

Another thread derailed......

Matty Smith didn’t even play, so why has this become a semi-final neg-fest???
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I agree. Against Cats, we tried to be too expansive too early (without earning the right to) and turned over a lot of ball. They, on the other hand, played a tight, physical game to great effect.

There seemed to be a decision, either by JH, the players or both, to keep it tight against Wire. We still coughed up 3 errors early on and that could have played on minds even more.

Whatever, to save 2 of your worst performances for the 2 most important games (as it turned out) is heart breaking.
    I agree. By picking the team he did, JH was reacting to how Warrington were going to play, rather than going with our best team (Theo on the bench) and letting them worry about handling us. Easy to judge after the event but maybe a poor decision by JH to go on the defensive instead of sticking to what had worked so well.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Got A Season Ticket

He’s on the move again. Guess his career is just about done, shame it has pretty much fizzled https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/50670974

Quote Originally Posted by KelCloset View Post
    He’s on the move again. Guess his career is just about done, shame it has pretty much fizzled https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/50670974
    His best bet now is a couple of years at a lower SL team or someone like Widnes or Leigh

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    His best bet now is a couple of years at a lower SL team or someone like Widnes or Leigh
    Good honest player and I hope he goes well wherever he ends up. Had most success at Wigan where he fitted well in their system - though I felt he played some of his best stuff at Salford

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Always gave his best, it just wasn't what we needed when we signed him. Always comes across as decent bloke. Good luck to him

Banned

Truly awful player who along with Dawson and Owens summed up the Cunningham era. Four year big money contract, one of our last mistakes thankfully, forgotten along with Josh Perry. In line with his last statement Wigan are his team so no concern of ours.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Truly awful player who along with Dawson and Owens summed up the Cunningham era. Four year big money contract, one of our last mistakes thankfully, forgotten along with Josh Perry. In line with his last statement Wigan are his team so no concern of ours.
    Spot on and I couldn't care less what happens to him after his comments about supporting W**** as though he has some grudge against us. For a shit player he's had a very good career off the back of us.