Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Matty Smith

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default Matty Smith

Anyone else heard he is about to sign for Widnes? I've seen it in a couple of different places this morning; talks of an immediate transfer.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Anyone else heard he is about to sign for Widnes? I've seen it in a couple of different places this morning; talks of an immediate transfer.
    He's wasting the autumn of his career here at the TWS, especially as the sport farcically doesn't have a reserve competition. I think he'd be a decent signing for them.

I do think, though, that we'd be subsidising his wages to some extent in any move. Cunningham well and truly hamstrung us with this signing.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I heard that from a usually reliable source a couple of days ago that they had approached us at Magic. They really struggle at HB without Gilmore so it would make sense.

Good move for both parties if true and I wish the bloke the best of luck. A very honest player is Matty, just not right for us at this point.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Could be a good move for him, he is still a reasonable super league player who can offer experience and composure. Richardson is the real deal now, so although Matty has been waiting his chance he really needs game time. All the very best to him if he goes elsewhere.

He was in Costa in St Helens this morning with Kyle Amor. If I had seen this before I would have asked him. And on Twitter he can be seen training this morning with the squad.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand

He's never going to get ahead of Richardson so it makes sense for both him and the club to part ways.

In The South Stand

https://twitter.com/ILaybourn/status/999295264962826240

good old Marwan, bet Marwan is looking at a gig at Bradford.

Thought he was going to Catalan last week?

In The South Stand

says here the deal for Smith fell through.

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-leagu...ord-red-devils

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by doghead View Post
    says here the deal for Smith fell through.

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-leagu...ord-red-devils
    If we pulled out of a transfer fee a couple of weeks ago, can’t see us suddenly agreeing to it now (and Widnes wouldn’t pay a fee!) Maybe if we can have Danny Walker in return

Thought he was in the pics of the captains run today so nothing happening before the weekend I assume

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

I can understand Saints wanting to move him on at the end of the season, I would guess his wage and Morgan's would cover Naiquama's.

But at the moment an injury to either, Lomax Richardson, Fages or Roby would see Smith back in the 17. He could yet end up playing at Wembley or in a Grand Final so I don't think he'd be keen to leave

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Makes absolutely no sense him hanging around unless he is only motivated by dollar. I understand he is one of the highest earners at the club so sitting in the stand on the wedge in his back pocket must be uncomfortable. In all seriousness, any professional sportsman would want to be playing week in week out, especially towards the end of his career, not playing second fiddle to a young player in his debut season. Embarrassing for all parties IMO.

I was totally against the signing at the time, showed a complete lack of foresight and ambition by our then coach, supported by the club officials. Nothing has changed my mind since the day he was announced and I’d go so far as to say his return to the club has been on a par with the Lance Hohaia fiasco for expensive mistakes.

He needs to move now to at least rescue what is left of his playing career.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I wonder, did we pull out of the deal when Roby got hurt a few weeks back?
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Makes absolutely no sense him hanging around unless he is only motivated by dollar. I understand he is one of the highest earners at the club so sitting in the stand on the wedge in his back pocket must be uncomfortable. In all seriousness, any professional sportsman would want to be playing week in week out, especially towards the end of his career, not playing second fiddle to a young player in his debut season. Embarrassing for all parties IMO.

I was totally against the signing at the time, showed a complete lack of foresight and ambition by our then coach, supported by the club officials. Nothing has changed my mind since the day he was announced and I’d go so far as to say his return to the club has been on a par with the Lance Hohaia fiasco for expensive mistakes.

He needs to move now to at least rescue what is left of his playing career.
    Disagree entirely. He has a deal, he’s not first choice but hasn’t rocked the boat, acted like a total professional in helping the youngsters develop in training/off the field and when called upon puts a shift in. We’re a couple of injuries away from him being back in, aside from finance, how does it benefit us to get rid?

If he does go out it should be on load til the years end Toledo match fitness up and be recalled if necessary. Look at Watkins and Keinhorst as a prime example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@RedveeDotNet

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Disagree entirely. He has a deal, he’s not first choice but hasn’t rocked the boat, acted like a total professional in helping the youngsters develop in training/off the field and when called upon puts a shift in. We’re a couple of injuries away from him being back in, aside from finance, how does it benefit us to get rid?

If he does go out it should be on load til the years end Toledo match fitness up and be recalled if necessary. Look at Watkins and Keinhorst as a prime example

I think Chiefy's point is about 'professional pride' and wanting to play, and I agree with him.

I also can't see the logic in Saints demanding a transfer fee (if some reports are to be believed); the benefit of getting the high wage of a player out of the regular 17 off our Cap space is surely incentive enough.

Finally, whilst I see your point about back-up, I think Smith's playing style is so different to Richardson's that we'd have to implement a huge shift in our gameplay & tactics to accommodate him; distribution would be slower and more obvious (with Smith's inability to take on the line in the way DR can). I'd prefer Fages to be a replacement for either DR or JL should they get crocked. And don't actually think Smith offers much more than playing Wilkin at 7.

I think a lot depends on our other backup options. Is Rob Fairclough ready for the first team? I agree that it would be handy to have Smith off the wage bill but the fact is that if Richardson got injured and there was no youngster ready to step in then we would have no kicking game.

It will come down to Smith himself. He has been a pro all through this. As said he has been helping the younger players and the woman as well. I doubt JH would say go. If Smith says he wants game time then I assume Saints will accommodate him. It would then be if a loan or a complete move. But we do need cover just in case.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    He's wasting the autumn of his career here at the TWS, especially as the sport farcically doesn't have a reserve competition. I think he'd be a decent signing for them.

I do think, though, that we'd be subsidising his wages to some extent in any move. Cunningham well and truly hamstrung us with this signing.

I'd keep him for this season if possible. Richardson gets injured (hopefully not) & he's back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I think a lot depends on our other backup options. Is Rob Fairclough ready for the first team? I agree that it would be handy to have Smith off the wage bill but the fact is that if Richardson got injured and there was no youngster ready to step in then we would have no kicking game.
    My thoughts exactly. But you put them at 10:51 and me at 13:52 could be seen to be gegging in? Thereby making me hugely unpopopular with the posters of Redvee, leading to utter disdain for Ralph.

Or have I overreacted a little?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Or have I overreacted a little?
    Overreaction seems to be the fashion lately.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

It's a shame for Matty he ain't a bad scrum half he just doesn't fit into the way we play now, if Richardson was missing I'd sooner go Fages /Lomax than bring in Smith, we need a bit of pace there and Smith doesn't have it.
    He's a great professional but sadly not good enough for us.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    It's a shame for Matty he ain't a bad scrum half he just doesn't fit into the way we play now, if Richardson was missing I'd sooner go Fages /Lomax than bring in Smith, we need a bit of pace there and Smith doesn't have it.
    He's a great professional but sadly not good enough for us.
    He has been a good professional especially the way he has handled things this season, but unfortunately I think your post is correct.

In The West Stand

Rumoured in the League Express to be off to Catalans next year as they continue their attempts to be Wigan mk.II as they’ve also made an offer for Williams

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Rumoured in the League Express to be off to Catalans next year as they continue their attempts to be Wigan mk.II as they’ve also made an offer for Williams
    Good to hear, we need him until the end of the season in case of injury but he’ll free up a lot of cap space, I imagine, which will hopefully be used on a new signing. Catalan after Leuluai as well, two bizarre signings given their age. Wigan losing a lot of key players, looking like Tomkins, Sutton, Bateman, Williams and Leuluai all gone.

Matty isn't going to Widnes and will be staying at Saints until the end of the season. A deal was in place to let him go a few months ago and I posted at that time that a deal was imminent, but Saints stepped in and insisted on him staying - Mr Rush to be precise.