Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Matty Smith

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Spot on and I couldn't care less what happens to him after his comments about supporting W**** as though he has some grudge against us. For a shit player he's had a very good career off the back of us.
    I don't think he had a grudge he was probably just making sure he generates a salary for his wife and kids its a short career in rugby league for most players. For me the first time around he must have been frustrated in knowing he wasn't quite good enough for the standard of our playing squad, as already mentioned he fitted OK in the Wigoons style of play, Cunningham had us going towards a similar style and so Matty came back on the agenda.

Its that lack of creativity that Holbrook must have seen straight away and lost first selection, Matty did a lot of good things with the club away from the first team so it wasn't another total frustrating failure with him at the club.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I got told a couple of weeks ago that he was staying at Warrington as part of their coaching staff.
    It was a big mistake from him leaving Wigan, Wane wanted him to stay but Cunningham and Wellens persuaded him to go back to Saints.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Spot on and I couldn't care less what happens to him after his comments about supporting W**** as though he has some grudge against us. For a shit player he's had a very good career off the back of us.
    What did he say about supporting Wigan? Missed that one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    What did he say about supporting Wigan? Missed that one.
    I can't remember it word for word but I think he was asked who he would go and watch when he retired and said those lot. No St Helens lad should ever say that.

I know Matty well and I can assure you, that he is one of the nicest people you could meet. I am sure he regrets coming back to Saints and it wasn't just Cunningham and Wellens, Mike Rush played a huge part in it as well and then allegedly, refused to let him go when he had an offer from another Super League club - not Catalans! Wane did want to keep him at Wigan and as mentioned earlier, for the way Cunningham wanted to play rugby he was a good fit. Unfortunately when Cunningham went, he wasn't right for Saints.

I think all these comments about him being a s**t player are so wide of the mark. He was a good player in the right system. He was an England international, Lance Todd Trophy winner and has a pot full of medals and you just don't achieve any of that with no talent.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post
    I know Matty well and I can assure you, that he is one of the nicest people you could meet. I am sure he regrets coming back to Saints and it wasn't just Cunningham and Wellens, Mike Rush played a huge part in it as well and then allegedly, refused to let him go when he had an offer from another Super League club - not Catalans! Wane did want to keep him at Wigan and as mentioned earlier, for the way Cunningham wanted to play rugby he was a good fit. Unfortunately when Cunningham went, he wasn't right for Saints.

I think all these comments about him being a s**t player are so wide of the mark. He was a good player in the right system. He was an England international, Lance Todd Trophy winner and has a pot full of medals and you just don't achieve any of that with no talent.
    I would never say he was a shit player, but for what the fans wanted he was the wrong player, he may have fit the style of play Cunningham wanted, but it was not the style of play we should bot have been playing. He was a (i cant say good) decent enough player just not the fit we needed, he was limited but gave what he could to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by angry dave View Post
    i can't remember it word for word but i think he was asked who he would go and watch when he retired and said those lot. No st helens lad should ever say that.
    x2

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post

For St Helens he was sadly an awful player. Ian Potter has got more medals than Roy Haggerty could dream of but we would take Roy any day.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

He played with a prime O'Loughlin, Tomkins (then Bowen) and a very good player in Blake Green. He's made a good career out of very limit skills that he had. Can't blame him for coming back to Saints when he did, that lies at the feet of Cunningham and Rush. The wage and the length of the contract, the fans saw it from a mile off. Hopefully those type of recruitment deals are long behind us now. Not really arsed what he does with the rest of his career. He won't go down as a Saints legend and I doubt he will go down as a Wigan one either.

In The South Stand

There are some harsh things being said on here about him , I remember a young about 19 year old lad who only wanted to play for his hometown club , I also remember when he was given that chance and running Huddersfield ragged in a cup game at Warrington he might have been better if he had been picked oftener but Saints decided someone was better .

Banned

A very average player. Not a bad one but totally average. I remember some people saying “he ll be ok at Catalans” and I thought it strange at the time. He was as slow as grass, had little flair and the game has moved on from his likes generally. Fair play for enjoying a successful career but thats not the mark of a top player. If it was we d be saying Gary Schofield was shit because he only ever won a Yorkshire cup.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I got told a couple of weeks ago that he was staying at Warrington as part of their coaching staff.
    It was a big mistake from him leaving Wigan, Wane wanted him to stay but Cunningham and Wellens persuaded him to go back to Saints.
    So what? •••• off you old bore. We wanted him to stay there and he go back. Also don't involve people when you know nothing about it. ••••ing sad old idiot.

Banned

Summed up well Dave

In The South Stand

He was finished in his last year at Wigan, they must have been laughing when they found us to take him off their hands. His stats and performances proved he was finished and somehow we found Catalans, who wanted to take him off our hands.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

According to Sky website Matty is going to the NRL. Though, I think that might be due to sky's poor use of the English language. Quote: Wiliame will join half-back Matty Smith in returning to the NRL

According to Sky website Matty is going to the NRL. Though, I think that might be due to sky's poor use of the English language. Quote: Wiliame will join half-back Matty Smith in returning to the NRL

More chance of joining WillIAm on ”The Voice” I would think
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    One of the more obvious attempts at trolling on here.

Matty's a grown man. I'm sure he could have made his own mind up.

Cunningham was hardly the diplomat when he was coaching us. You're talking utter rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    One of the more obvious attempts at trolling on here.

Matty's a grown man. I'm sure he could have made his own mind up.

Cunningham was hardly the diplomat when he was coaching us. You're talking utter rubbish.
    Hardly a diplomat! He was hardly a coach.

Hardly a diplomat! He was hardly a coach.
    A very good point Sir

Learning All The Songs

signed for Widnes

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    signed for Widnes
    Good luck to him he should do OK in that division.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

So what? •••• off you old bore. We wanted him to stay there and he go back. Also don't involve people when you know nothing about it. ••••ing sad old idiot.
    well, whoever told him clearly knows as much as he does

Banned

Headline News: The Wigan Gossip is "wrong" again! Talk about feed the troll. Matty may look quick in the Championship.