Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 19 man squad v Castleford

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    That's the problem with blinking.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I didn’t see Powells interview but im not sure what he could moan about. We beat them fair and square. If anything, a few 50/50 calls went their way courtesy of the touch judges who were scared of the Cas fans behind them.
    http://www.skysports.com/rugby-leagu...t-to-st-helens

I still think Bill Arthur's comments were the catalyst for him walking off. He was p'sed off to start with and Bill's opening gambit of "disappointing virtually from the word go" was the last straw I reckon.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

I've no issue with Cas fans booing and being completely biased and blinkered.
    Most fans at most clubs do this and for me it's about being passionate about your club.

Powell is not a fan, he is a paid professional.

As a fan you can call the ref and shout at players if you feel that will help your side.
    There are many times we Saints fans call players and refs, during a game when actually they may have done nothing wrong.

But as a coach you get to see all the replays and you should be able accept that whilst your initial reaction was that it was a terrible call on review you could see that it was not.
    A professional coach should take his fan head off for interviews. If he has a complaint put it in writing to the head of refs in a professional manner what decisions he thought were bad for his side. Don't just throw random accusations out on TV with no evidence to back up your claim and no right of reply for the ref to correct that view.

If a player did it they would get 10 minutes a al Toronto.

Powell cracks me up at times, loves spitting the old dummy out!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    Powell cracks me up at times, loves spitting the old dummy out!
    I think its Powell that is cracked, one slight worry will be in the super 8's. If we play Cas again at there place Powell will know he can't beat and play Saints with vintage rugby and I think he would get a couple of players to injure our own.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    My biggest anger tonight was the way many and I mean many Cas fans cheered when they thought Ben Barba got injured. They were a disgrace. I have never cheered when an opposition player has been injured. It made this mauling all the sweeter for me.
    Six finger city residents to a man (and sister/cousin/ close relative)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I thought a lot of calls went against us in the first half and Powell had nothing to complain about. Maybe he meant that their first try shouldn't have been awarded?
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

wrong thread - apologies
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Most opposing fans cheer when a player is hurt, absolute moronic behaviour, no one should ever laugh when a player is injured, could easily be serious when it looks like nothing too bad (Alex Walmsley). We as Saints fans cannot take the moral high ground here, as guilty as any set of fans. Nick Fozzard on the charge, Stuart Fielden knocked cold, big cheer from us, it is worse when players do it, Vinnie Anderson stood over Danny tickle after a heavy tackle giving it large our fans cheering. When Willie Mason high fives to all when a player is banjo`d usually illegally, Saints fans saying what a grub he is. Oh the irony.
    Get a grip this is RL not netball.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero1266 View Post
    Get a grip this is RL not netball.
    Not wishing to pick a row Zero, I know what sport it is. Was playing down at Parr Stocks when Tommy Bishop had The Pheonix and the hounds were playing out of there, one of our older supporters laughed when one of their players were injured, Tommy tore a strip off him to such an extent that the man walked off home embarassed. A former saints great, played in Australia and was respected and GB international, a tough as teak scrum half does not condone that notion, I set my moral compass with him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I find it funny how fans are cheering like there’s been a knock on or a big hit just when Barba gets tackled! Shows you how terrified they all are of him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Not wishing to pick a row Zero, I know what sport it is. Was playing down at Parr Stocks when Tommy Bishop had The Pheonix and the hounds were playing out of there, one of our older supporters laughed when one of their players were injured, Tommy tore a strip off him to such an extent that the man walked off home embarassed. A former saints great, played in Australia and was respected and GB international, a tough as teak scrum half does not condone that notion, I set my moral compass with him.
    I think I can say with 100% accuracy that EVERY Saints fan at the JJB on the day when Vinnie Anderson put Danny Tickle on his arse with one of the best tackles Ive ever seen cheered their hearts out !

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

I think I can say with 100% accuracy that EVERY Saints fan at the JJB on the day when Vinnie Anderson put Danny Tickle on his arse with one of the best tackles Ive ever seen cheered their hearts out !
    That's because it was an amazing legal tackle and apart from winding him caused no injuries. The fact he was a pie just made it a bit more special.
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

Plenty of Saints fans have cheered when an opposition player doesn't get up after a tackle and I'm not bothered in the slightest about the Cas fans reaction to Barba coming off as he wasn't actually seriously injured.

If say the Barba Salford incident had happened last night and he was Stretchered off the field for example that would have been different and I genuinely think the response from the Cas fans would have been different also tbf.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by newport dave View Post
    That's because it was an amazing legal tackle and apart from winding him caused no injuries. The fact he was a pie just made it a bit more special.
    It was a cracking hit,a bit like Tommy L put on Maurie Fasavalu and I have to say even saint's fans aplauded that hit. But to cheer off an injured player is poor form.

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    It was a cracking hit,a bit like Tommy L put on Maurie Fasavalu and I have to say even saint's fans aplauded that hit. But to cheer off an injured player is poor form.
    Totally agree

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by WA10 View Post
    http://www.skysports.com/rugby-leagu...t-to-st-helens

I still think Bill Arthur's comments were the catalyst for him walking off. He was p'sed off to start with and Bill's opening gambit of "disappointing virtually from the word go" was the last straw I reckon.
    Interesting how on BBC Sport there’s a proper interview report from Powell.

Noooobie

I think we are getting a bit complacent as a fan base. Some of the comments regarding the cas game really confuse me. Last night was brilliant compared to virtually everything we have been served up over the past 10 years. The attacking shape and some of the tries we scored against a team that doesn't lose at home were brilliant. Consistently scoring from 30,40.50 yards out, and/or players going over the line untouched. If anything our defence disappointing me a little, not so much the meaningless tries we conceded when the game was won, but more the way were broken too many times in the first half, with poor execution from Cas letting us off the hook. Really pleased for Jonny Lomax, looked like the player I always wanted him to be last night. Whatever happens with Barba, he has to stay at stand off. He hasn't got he legs or physicality to be really top quality full back now, but he is smart enough to be a really good stand off.

BTW I'm a fan marooned in Birmingham, so Friday night games are not good for me. Get to games when I can and really enjoyed the atmosphere at Magic weekend and the banter with multiple sets of fans. Long may in continue.

Learning All The Songs

Putting every in capital letters does not mean it is correct, I can can tell you for certain not every Saints fan cheered.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiggy View Post
    Interesting how on BBC Sport there’s a proper interview report from Powell.
    I've seen it before with Bill Arthur and Brian McDermott, not sure if it's intentional but he has a habit of saying the wrong thing to the losing coach.

Putting every in capital letters does not mean it is correct, I can can tell you for certain not every Saints fan cheered.

Im guessing you didnt ,so yeah there was ONE !

Learning All The Songs

I was laughing at the older Cas fan with the hat and glasses who was gesticulating wildly about the Barba try not being a try in his opinion, and shrugging his shoulders when it was given. Sure it's the same guy that was flicking the Vs at Saints fans in the cup tie towards the end of the game. Bet he feels stupid now when he watches himself and sees that it wasn't a knock on! Ha ha!
    Generally speaking I think Cas fans are ok and usually give credit to the opposition. Like Saints they have morons in their ranks ( as do all clubs ) and there were a number of them on the Saints coach when we travelled back from the cup game.