Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 19 man squad v Widnes

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

I think people underestimate the value of amor with the defensive effort he puts in.

If you had said last year let's have a pack with Thompson, Lees, Douglas and lms you would say the pack needs 2 or 3 more props.

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    I think people underestimate the value of amor with the defensive effort he puts in.

If you had said last year let's have a pack with Thompson, Lees, Douglas and lms you would say the pack needs 2 or 3 more props.
    Fair point. Amor’s being doing some really good work around the ruck lately.

It’ll be interesting to see what we can do when Walmsley comes back.

Learning All The Songs

Lomax invisible today, thankfully we always have Theo to come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Fair point. Amor’s being doing some really good work around the ruck lately.

It’ll be interesting to see what we can do when Walmsley comes back.
    I think fortunately we only play Wigan and Warrington towards the back end of the season. So time for warlmsley to recover.

I think with other teams we can play average and still put 30-40 points on. So far only the Leeds and Wigan games stand out as games were we have been challenged.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Below par performance today, maybe should be expected after the great performance last week.

We got the 2 points, job done

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Lomax invisible today, thankfully we always have Theo to come on.
    To be fair, I think Taia’s form has dropped significantly and Percival is being marked out of the game for the most part (hence Barba is finding far more space on the right at the moment).

The whole pack seemed really poor in the first half, with only Peyroux and Knowles coming away with any sort of credit for me (and Peyroux had a few errors and a stupid moment in him). I think it was telling Holbrook brought Fages on at lock today.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Below par performance today, maybe should be expected after the great performance last week.

We got the 2 points, job done
    I don't think we were that good last week, to be honest. We're a good enough side this year to turn out scrappy performances and still come out with good wins.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Saints having a below par game yet scoring 38 points to win is satisfactory, can't play to very high performances every week, onward to the next game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I don't think we were that good last week, to be honest. We're a good enough side this year to turn out scrappy performances and still come out with good wins.
    Amen. We were very average last week. We won though so can’t complain. It will be tough to play to full ability every week so can’t complain.
    I don’t mind us playing poorly today. I have beef with us playing average last week. We owed Cas for the drubbing in the cup last year and we owed them for beating us in last seasons play offs, yet we turned up and gave less than 100%. Not good enough IMO.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Season Ticket

I think fortunately we only play Wigan and Warrington towards the back end of the season. So time for warlmsley to recover.

I think with other teams we can play average and still put 30-40 points on. So far only the Leeds and Wigan games stand out as games were we have been challenged.
    Wakefield were a bit challenging too

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by KelCloset View Post
    Having 4 days off in the build up was a big factor that week.

Quote Originally Posted by KelCloset View Post
    I thought we looked very below par for that game. Yes they won and great credit to Wakefield for beating us. But I would have struggled to give us 4/10 for that game.

In The West Stand

I thought we looked very below par for that game. Yes they won and great credit to Wakefield for beating us. But I would have struggled to give us 4/10 for that game.
    There was a series of unfortunate events to stop us regaining the lead after the not bothering in the first 20 minutes. On any other day one of the Morgan pullback/ Lomax headshot/ percival incident would have come up trumps and we wouldn’t have lost the lead again imo. Alas it wasn’t meant to be, and not turning up in the first 20 minutes cost us the points.

I think we would all of taken being where we are with a couple of 4/10 performances compared to where we were last year even with the 45-0 magic game!

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Amen. We were very average last week. We won though so can’t complain. It will be tough to play to full ability every week so can’t complain.
    I don’t mind us playing poorly today. I have beef with us playing average last week. We owed Cas for the drubbing in the cup last year and we owed them for beating us in last seasons play offs, yet we turned up and gave less than 100%. Not good enough IMO.
    You clearly watch a different game from me. While we made mistakes against Cas, I still think we gave 100%; certainly, I don’t think it’s possible to work any harder in defence and any failings in our attack, which nevertheless scored 36 points, were largely the consequence of the efforts of Cas.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    There was a series of unfortunate events to stop us regaining the lead after the not bothering in the first 20 minutes. On any other day one of the Morgan pullback/ Lomax headshot/ percival incident would have come up trumps and we wouldn’t have lost the lead again imo. Alas it wasn’t meant to be, and not turning up in the first 20 minutes cost us the points.

I think we would all of taken being where we are with a couple of 4/10 performances compared to where we were last year even with the 45-0 magic game!
    Oh yes absolutely, I just meant when we have been decent this year I think only Wigan and Leeds have been able to compete. Wakefield beat us but I don't think we were at full speed for that game hence why I did not include them.

Wigan look to be our closest rivals this year so I'm quite glad it's late on in the season when we meet them again

We won and I'll happily take the 2 points.

I thought we would really turn up and put them to the sword but Widnes played very well. Fair play to them

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Widnes gave it absolutely everything, we barely got out of first gear and still never looked like losing. Widnes has a couple of bad calls against them but not enough to affect the result and there was always the sense Saints could have turned it on if necessary. Widnes looked out on their feet by the end whereas we looked relatively fresh.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

To be fair, I think Taia’s form has dropped significantly and Percival is being marked out of the game for the most part (hence Barba is finding far more space on the right at the moment).

The whole pack seemed really poor in the first half, with only Peyroux and Knowles coming away with any sort of credit for me (and Peyroux had a few errors and a stupid moment in him). I think it was telling Holbrook brought Fages on at lock today.
    I think the first part of your comment, one is a consequence of the other. Taia has not been finding nor making any gaps going forward. Normally Percy would be taking short balls running off him. As it is everyone can see in advance when the ball is going Percys way, making it easier to close him down.

The forwards were largely pish yesterday. I thought our pack was terrible. Still all fresh for Thursday and got away with it as Widnes don't have a decent set of forwards

Starting A Programme Collection

Listening the game on the radio yesterday it sounded to me like Wilkin was first receiver most of second half. Was Roby off as I didn’t hear his name. Need someone faster than Wilkin as first receiver. Thought he’d been told to stay out of it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Listening the game on the radio yesterday it sounded to me like Wilkin was first receiver most of second half. Was Roby off as I didn’t hear his name. Need someone faster than Wilkin as first receiver. Thought he’d been told to stay out of it.
    Roby did around 60 mins, he really hasn't hit his usual high level since the rib injury.

Learning All The Songs

Lomax, Percy, Roby and Walmsley, all played in the world cup and suffering mid season, Walmsley and Roby impact injuries so may be not related. Gale and Currie injured, McMeeken and Hill not hitting last years highs, Hull have a lot of South Sea Island lads out who played for teams in the World Cup. You see it in soccer after a tournament players form dips and injuries seem more common, Watkins limped out yesterday he is not in great form either at mid season point. Too many miles on the clock for the year?

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Gale, Knowles, LMS, Douglas and Amor were also in the World cup.
    They played a game or two less than the Roby and Walmsley

Got A Replica Shirt saint at wire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    We need to cut out the penalties. Credit to Widnes - with most of their players back they’ve played well. Phil Clarke in heaven.
    The whole of the Sky team seemed to be in heaven, implying we were SO lucky to win the game. OK we were not great, but Brian Carney especially, seems to have it in for us.